Pool kit equipment options - Hayward

Apr 14, 2017
Hayward CA
I am coming up with the final plan to build my own pool. Right now the idea is to use a kit from poolwarehouse.com and get a rectangular, auto-cover kit, 18'x36'. I now need to chose the technical equipment, pump filters etc. I want a variable speed pump and they offer "Hayward Tristar Vs950 Variable Speed Pump" (for $1050 extra over the basic "1.5 HP Excel Professional Grade Pool Pump").
Can this be a reasonable choice? I intend to have solar heaters installed on the roof of my two story house, salt system etc. I find it non-trivial to check all the models from the main manufacturers, even considering the variable speed models only.

MoW,

If there were an equipment selection tree of some type, the first question would be... Do you plan on any kind of pool automation system? Having an automation system would allow you to use your PC, Phone, or Tablet to control things, like pump speed, SWCG output, water features, solar, etc. This is an important question because having an automation system means that you have to make sure that the automation will control the pump and the salt system. Basically, the automation, VS pump, and Salt system all need to be from the same manufacturer and designed to "talk" with one another.

The downside to automation is that it costs money.. The upside is that you do not have to go out to the equipment pad every time you need to make a change..

If you are going to have a saltwater pool and a solar system it is almost mandatory that you have a VS pump. This is because you have to run the pump longer to allow the salt cell to generate the amount of chlorine your pool will need. Running a single speed pump is a killer on the electrical bill, while you will hardly even know the VS pump uses electricity.. I can run my 3 HP IntelliFlo pump 24/7 for less than $20 bucks a month..

So, if your only choice is the Tristar or the single speed pump, then you must go with the Tristar.

Are you restricted to buying your equipment from the poolwarehouse?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you. No, I am not restricted in any way in the kind of equipment I can buy, this is just the "easy" choice as they would provide it in the same shipment instead of having to buy it separately. I intend to run an automation system yes. Do you have a specific recommendation?

Thank you. No, I am not restricted in any way in the kind of equipment I can buy, this is just the "easy" choice as they would provide it in the same shipment instead of having to buy it separately. I intend to run an automation system yes. Do you have a specific recommendation?
And by the way, next is to select a salt system and filter, so if you have a further recommendation for an integrated system that has remote automation please let me know.

If you plan to automate, then the automation system, VS pump, and SWCG should be from the same supplier. Pentair, for instance, has the Intellicenter. Be sure to order it with the integrated SWCG power supply and a SWCG at least rated for 2x+ your pool volume.
An online company many have been using is PolyTec Pools. They are located in Las Vegas and ship nationwide.

Filter can be from any company. If you stay with Pentair, get the largest cartridge filter you can afford. What volume is your pool going to be?

Also, pump. If you go Pentair, get the Intelliflo VS. 011028. Integrates with the Intellicenter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.