Pool heater or Hot tub?

Fugazi

Apr 9, 2015
Saint Augustine Fl
I’m in northern Florida and we are thinking of either a heater or hot tub... any suggestions to which one would get more use?

Heater for pool is cheaper but would the cost for electricity be greater than a hot tub?

Pool is kept clean all year round so one less thing to clean...

How hard is it to clean a hot tub?

Average life of a pool heater versus hot tub?

Thanks

F,

My vote would be a hot tub.. A hot tub is hot all the time, you just go out and get in it.. It takes a long time to heat up a pool and then you also have to keep it covered. To do it with electricity would be way expensive.

I have a small 200 gallon hot tub, but it is perfect for the wife and me. We use it year round, but more in the winter and a little less in the summer. I'm not sure what it costs to run, but I never even notice an increase in our electric bill after it was installed. My guess is maybe $20 bucks a month. I was surprised as I expected a big spike in electrical use, but I just don't see it.

Obviously, it has an insulated cover..

One downside is that you have to drain and refill it every 3 or 4 months. But it makes cleaning it pretty simple. Not at all like a pool that is open to the elements.

I bought my hot tub used. It was about 10 years old and all original. The only problem I have had is because of stupidity... I drained it with the power on and lost the circulation pump. Cost about $300 bucks for a new one. Other than that it has been working fine.

I converted mine to a saltwater spa, so now it is as easy to maintain as my saltwater pool...

One thing to keep in mind that most of them require 50 or 60 amp service, with circuit breaker box near the spa. I installed my own, but I could see that costing $1,000 give or take, depending on where your main Circuit Breaker panel is located.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

F,

My vote would be a hot tub.. A hot tub is hot all the time, you just go out and get in it.. It takes a long time to heat up a pool and then you also have to keep it covered. To do it with electricity would be way expensive.

I have a small 200 gallon hot tub, but it is perfect for the wife and me. We use it year round, but more in the winter and a little less in the summer. I'm not sure what it costs to run, but I never even notice an increase in our electric bill after it was installed. My guess is maybe $20 bucks a month. I was surprised as I expected a big spike in electrical use, but I just don't see it.

One downside is that you have to drain and refill it every 3 or 4 months. But it makes cleaning it pretty simple. Not at all like a pool that is open to the elements.

I bought my hot tub used. It was about 10 years old and all original. The only problem I have had is because of stupidity... I drained it with the power on and lost the circulation pump. Cost about $300 bucks for a new one. Other than that it has been working fine.

I converted mine to a saltwater spa, so now it is as easy to maintain as my saltwater pool...

One thing to keep in mind that most of them require 50 or 60 amp service, with circuit breaker box near the spa. I installed my own, but I could see that costing $1,000 give or take, depending on where your main Circuit Breaker panel is located.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thanks for the reply

Some valid points for hot tub

Any idea what a good brand is?

I’m still researching

To me dependability is what I’m looking for

Jim,
Did you convert to swcg or swbg?

I just ordered the bromine generator. I'm going to install this weekend.

I would vote for the spa too. Cool nights are great to be in the spa. We're in NY. The other night it was 37°and the spa was 102°[emoji16]
F,

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

We are in Brisbane, Australia which (possibly) has a similar climate. We have a very energy efficient heat pump. Have just run it through our first winter and our boys happily swam the whole season. They’d be still waiting for their first swim if we didn’t have it and they’ve been swimming since May. The ambient temp was really too cool for me though. I guess it depends what you plan on doing. Relaxing and having a drink on a winters night - get a hot tub. Wanting to swim laps or have kids who need to burn off some energy - get a heat pump. My preference would be both! Would love a hot tub!

Jim,
Did you convert to swcg or swbg?

I just ordered the bromine generator. I'm going to install this weekend.

I would vote for the spa too. Cool nights are great to be in the spa. We're in NY. The other night it was 37°and the spa was 102°[emoji16]

It is a Saltwater Chlorine generator.. It is called an over the shoulder model... Nothing attaches to the plumbing, you just mount the power pack to the wall and drop in the salt cell over the side..

Looks like this...

dbtgallery.php

dbtgallery.php

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.