Heater out of warranty by 2 months and no longer working

Kbeaton

Oct 16, 2022
Amarillo, Texas
We have had our newly installed pool/hot tub for exactly 1 year and 2 months. Meaning.....warranty was up 2 months ago. Now my heater will not kick on. We have replaced the ignitor and that did not fix the problem. No code on the heater and the pool handheld remote thinks and acts like it is on, the heater just does not fire up or get hot. Not sure what to try next. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should test or look for next? The heater is a Jandy JXI 400kBTU. If I need to replace the heater, should I replace with a different brand if it is only going to give me 1 year of use?

Welcome to TFP.

Does your heater have power?

Is your heater getting gas? Check all the valves are open on the heater gas line. Check gas pressures with a manometer.

Does the heater do anything when it tries to start? Blower begin running?

Check the control wire between your Aqualink panel and the heater.

I doubt you need to get a new heater. You just need someone to do diagnostics and figure out what the problem is.

Post pics of your equipment pad.

Last edited:
Thanks you all for your comments.
Problem first happened 2 weeks ago.
Pool builders technician came and replaced igniter, but he did not check to see if it was working. When we got home, we tried it and still not working. We are getting a code now and it says fault, check ignition steps. I have not contacted Jandy yet, I have the Pool company owner coming out Monday to hopefully diagnose the problem. Gas lines and valves are fine.
The blower never comes on.

Does your equipment room have adequate open air intakes into the room as specified below?

1699840217514.png

The heater display panel can easily be turned around so you can see it. The builder should have done that. This is a new installation? It is possible that it is still the ignitor. I had a new one that was DOA. If they are not handled properly they can fail quickly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That flue connection looks like the builder just jury-rigged something onto the heater rather than installing the Jandy vent adapter kit (which provides a 4" flue pipe). It's possible that setup is causing too much back-pressure tripping the safety sensors.

Here are the photos:

here are the photos of my equipment pad
For the sake of that heater, DO NOT use that tablet feeder. It will eventually destroy the heater, even with that check valve. Those valves fail regularly, you have no way of inspecting them internally, you don't/won't know it until there is a problem, and then it will be a very expensive problem.
You don't have to remove it, but don't use it, take the tablets out, put them in a floating feeder in the pool where they will do a better job of getting chlorine into the water 24/7/365. Or, do remove it and get a SWG for the best option.
Why is there all that tape on the gas line? It serves no purpose.
If that is a mineral pack in front of the heater you don't want to use it either. They are not particularly effective and you don't want it feeding minerals into a heater or the chlorinator that is after the heater. That installation is very suspect, especially the heater venting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.