Pool green for over a year.

I don't have PBP! Anyone think this will be clear enough to see the deep end by Monday?

PBP - Pool Boy Patience
I would say you have a decent chance if you keep at it. Looks better all ready.

And awesome helping out...society needs a few more Mike1162s!!!

I know that you have heard this before but did you really think it through? I have that filter. Off the top of my head the domed section of the lid is at least 12" in diameter. It's probably bigger than that. A little math (6 *6*3.14159) = 113 square inches. If I remember correctly you mentioned 25 - 30 PSI when the filter clogged up. That's only 2,800 - 3,400 pounds of force on the lid. Buy a new lid.

I'd hate to see your good deed end badly.

Last edited:
Reactions: JamesW
Anyone think this will be clear enough to see the deep end by Monday?
IMO: zero chance.

And I also want to point out with others just how ill-advised it is to operate a filter that's broken. You are opening yourself up to financial liability if something goes wrong after you worked on it. That's why professionals carry considerable insurance coverage.

Reactions: JamesW
You are opening yourself up to financial liability if something goes wrong after you worked on it.
Not just financial liability, but also criminal liability.

If someone gets injured by something where you should know that there is a significant danger, you could potentially face criminal charges.

Two electricians have been charged in the death of Raul Hernandez at a Houston hotel swimming pool.

Police said shoddy work by the electricians led to Hernandez's electrocution.

He died from his injuries a week after rescuing his family from the pool during Labor Day weekend, according to a lawsuit filed by his family.

The Houston Chronicle reported that the electricians have been charged with criminally negligent homicide.

The electric current was caused by a short in the pool light, police said.

https://www.ecmweb.com/around-the-c...ricians-charged-in-houston-pool-electrocution

We started adding twice a day on Tuesday. Two gallons in the afternoon & three in the evening.
At that rate I also doubt it will clear by Monday. With 42k gallons 2 gallons of 12.5% bleach brings you up to SLAM assuming it at least holds above FC=5 between additions. so you are only getting up to or close to SLAM 2x a day (assuming there is at least FC=5). Can she measure/add a time or two between your visits?

That color green looks a lot like my pool 2 years ago and I was probably adding bleach at about same rate (1-2x a day) . It was still green when I closed that year, but I was also battling higher cya. The next year I was adding bleach much more frequently during slam and got it turned around in a much shorter time. You could probably speed it up a little with at least a partial drain and refill.

Did her sand filter break or did you swap filters just for improved filtering from de?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
At that rate I also doubt it will clear by Monday. With 42k gallons 2 gallons of 12.5% bleach brings you up to SLAM assuming it at least holds above FC=5 between additions. so you are only getting up to or close to SLAM 2x a day (assuming there is at least FC=5). Can she measure/add a time or two between your visits?
She has test strips that test FC and CC if. Not sure if he's had time to show her how to use tfp test kit.

I wonder if it might be better for the SLAM just dosing a set amount of chlorine in the pool instead of wasting time with strips?

Last edited:
Why are you not performing a SLAM? Based on color of pool you're not at stage yet where it is primarily a filtering issue. Green=algae, chlorine kills algae filters don't but both are needed for slam

Reactions: Mdragger88
Dungeons And Dragons Reaction GIF by Alpha

Friday 9/10 Added 2nd DE Filter
IMG_2819.JPG

Saturday 9/11
IMG_2820.JPG

Sunday 9/12
IMG_0765.JPG

Monday 9/13 Not as good as it looks in the picture. Water is still so cloudy that you can't see more than 6 or 7 inches deep.
Removed the old DE filter today & reinstalled the sand filter.
IMG_0771.JPG

This is what we got while vacuuming the deep end to waste. Combined chlorine has been at 1.0 the last couple days but this stuff reeks. Hindsight is 20/20 but I sure wish we had done this on day one.
IMG_0776.JPG

You're getting a lot of experience, maybe you should start your own business doing pool service?
LOL, this will be the one & only time I read a thread titled 'Pool green for over a year'. I also found out that once these filters get up to about 25 psi there is little to no flow back to the pool. My guess is that after 6 to 8 hours we're just wasting electricity running the pump. Could a lot of the cloudiness be caused by CH being 500?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.