Pool green for over a year.

@Newdude what is your take on NY and her water table now and in the Spring?
It would most likely be lower now than after the spring rains, But the April showers have been getting here in June/July the last few years. 🤷‍♂️

NY is an interesting place ground water wise. You can pick up 30 ft elevation in just a few blocks pretty much anywhere in the state. The water table stays relatively constant so the small hills can make or break you.

Ugh I've made things worse...lovely. Thats my m.o. Lady at pool store last year that I would need to drain it if the first try with the stop yellow didn't work...
The kit should be there by Thursday the latest. I need to find out the strength of the liquid chlorine from the pool store is. We have 8 gal left plus 6 packs of hth 4n1 shock and a few pounds of zappit73 shock. Both have no cya in them I just found out. Im guessing that using both the liquid and the powder is a no no?

She has test strips that measure pH TA FC and CYA. She tested the water yesterday, for what its worth:

pH 7.2
FC 1
TA 80
CYA between 40 and 50

Last edited:
I appreciate the offer. May take you up on it when hers arrives. Might be a bit easier to show her how to use versus me trying to walk her through it over the phone! I will pay you for your time. I promise no gift cards for the anchor bar...lol!
If we start today or tomorrow there's a chance we can clear the pool by this weekend. I'm not looking to make money off this but if I come over 4 or 5 times then gas money would be accepted. I believe cleaning the filter multiple times is what will get the pool clear. Sending private message.

Ugh I've made things worse...lovely. Thats my m.o.
We don't do that here. You did your level best with the information you had at the time. Now that you have new information, you're still doing your level best. How many parents would love a kid who's showing up like you are to help, even from over a thousand miles away? Give yourself permission to have made the mistake and let it go. We all have.

Im guessing that using both the liquid and the powder is a no no?
It's a "keep-it-simple" strategy here. Liquid chlorine is the easiest, fastest way to get sanitation levels up in the pool without other unwanted effects. Cal-Hypo shock raises calcium and alkalinity. Other powders increase CYA if they're stabilized with dichlor and trichlor. The only thing that matters with liquid chlorine is that it's plain bleach with no additives like "no-splash" or fragrances, and whatever concentration it is just depends how much needs glugged to get you to the right level.
But it’s Nacho pool.
Correction: It's Nacho MAMMA'S pool!

We don't do that here. You did your level best with the information you had at the time. Now that you have new information, you're still doing your level best. How many parents would love a kid who's showing up like you are to help, even from over a thousand miles away? Give yourself permission to have made the mistake and let it go. We all have.
#Preach. Darn near each and every new member coming here at their wits end was misdirected or flat out lied to. It is never their fault for trusting the ‘professionals’.

Take a look an my man TexEdmond above. He got himself a firm grip on the basics and can even help others now, only being here since mid June. You are well on your way yourself.

You got this Nacho. And we got you. :)

Reactions: Nachos73

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hbo GIF by Silicon Valley

Reactions: HeyEng
#Preach. Darn near each and every new member coming here at their wits end was misdirected or flat out lied to. It is never their fault for trusting the ‘professionals’.

Take a look an my man TexEdmond above. He got himself a firm grip on the basics and can even help others now, only being here since mid June. You are well on your way yourself.

You got this Nacho. And we got you. :)
Thank you sir!

Reactions: Newdude
Foam could also be from the CYA being consumed by a bacteria creating ammonia. Happens with long term 0 FC and lots of algae.
I suspect the best move for this pool is to go directly to a complete water exchange.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.