Pool green for over a year.

Mike1162

Silver Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
N Tonawanda, NY
Found these clumps of algae while cleaning the sand. The DE also clumped up (next pic) & is a strange color. I sprinkled some fresh DE for comparison. Are these a sign that a clarifier might have been used.
IMG_0774.JPG

IMG_0772.JPG

Mike1162

Silver Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
N Tonawanda, NY
Results on 9/5
PH = 7.5
FC = 1.0
CC = 3.5
TA = 70
CH = 500
CYA wasn't tested (Was 0 on 9/3)

Just been checking FC & CC since 9/5. IIRC the last couple days FC 3 or 4 & CC's have been 1.0

CTFocusST

Jul 4, 2019
Glastonbury CT
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I still think you & home owner would be making quicker progress with adding chlorine to get to SLAM level more frequently than focusing on filter at this point

Reactions: jtpipkin

CTFocusST

Jul 4, 2019
Glastonbury CT
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
You may be right but I think a couple good sized drains may be in the immediate future.
With the bromide in the water that is needed based on what others said earlier in the thread. Does she know how deep the shallow end is (assuming with 42k there is a shallow and deep end)?

Reactions: TexEdmond

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Newdude

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 16, 2019
NY
90% of gunk should be gone tomorrow. It would be easy if I wasn't vacuuming 'blind'.
Keep at it and do the best you can. The gunk is eating your FC so much less goes to fighting the water. When i got the last of mine out, I watched the pool go blue in minutes. It was cloudy and still took a while, but the green went quickly.

Mike1162

Silver Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
N Tonawanda, NY
Keep at it and do the best you can. The gunk is eating your FC so much less goes to fighting the water. When i got the last of mine out, I watched the pool go blue in minutes. It was cloudy and still took a while, but the green went quickly.
I thought the green was mostly gone until I started to vacuum to waste today. There are no bottom drains in this pool. I've been leaving the vacuum head upside down in the deep end to get some circulation down there.

Reactions: Brian Malone

CTFocusST

Jul 4, 2019
Glastonbury CT
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
The yard has quite a bit of slope so I can drain to a low spot & maybe drain 2.5 feet? That would be about 1/3 of the water.
The pool school article recommends leaving at least 12" in shallow end to keep weight on liner and prevent it from shifting so I think your limitation is liner not the yard

There are some other options such as the water exchange in the article which you could probably combine with draining down 2 ft at most and then starting the no drain exchange as long flow rates in and out were equal or slightly biased to water in that should keep 12" in shallow end

HeyEng

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Nov 7, 2018
Oklahoma City, OK
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
I would be cautious draining the pool. I could see something happening to the liner and the homeowner trying to hold you accountable. Not saying she would have a viable/successful claim but just the possibility would make me very trigger shy on going that far. Of course, I am a lawyer (non-practicing though) so we tend to assume people are out to get you. :)

Oh, and I am NOT a litigator...so I can assure you that you will NOT see my ugly mug on TV or on the side of a bus. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
press your luck no GIF

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support