Pool dug too deep

fpadar

May 21, 2019
Florida
Hi, first-time pool owner during the construction phase. The pool is 31 1/2' by 12 1/2' with Spa in one end. They dug my pool with too steep of a slope from the shallow end (3 1/2') to the deep end (5'). They have the rebar in the pool but have not shot Gunite. They are suggesting shooting thicker Gunite in select areas to fix the slope, and the highest thickness will be 12" to 14" for the bottom floor with one layer of rebar.

Will that be an issue? The thickest area will be a section 4' x 12 1/2' and the rest of the pool will go down from that thickness to 6" in both the shallow and deep ends.

My wife caught the "mistake". Our pool builder did not have the pool depths on the drawing other than the shallow and deep end depths, and the excavator only did about 5 feet of length in the shallow end and then went down 1 1/2' over the next 6', so 20 1/2' of the 31 1/2' length is at the deep end depth of 5'. We wanted more area at approximately 4' for playing around in the pool with the kids. Neither the pool builder or the excavator are taking any responsibility because there was nothing on the drawing showing the depth across the pool, and they are saying this is "standard" pool construction. This is our first pool and this is a hard lesson, but I now see the depth across the pool should have been on the drawing we approved.

I think this is BS, but I don't think I will win. They say they will give me a break on the Gunite (they estimate 7 additional yards and will do it for $1100) and if I want a 2nd row of rebar they will do it for $400 more. I will still try to get a better deal, but my question is do I need the extra rebar? Do you think they are giving me a break on the costs, or am I just getting the going rate?

The only good news is that we can fix it now rather than living with a pool we are not happy with.

wow perfect timing that you caught that!
I know what you mean about the fast depth. My first pool (came with house) was that way
and I really liked it, but I also know that's not how everyone wants them to be, especially for children considerations.

It's the builder's responsibility to make sure that the pool is dug correctly.

I don't see why you should have to pay for it.

At best, they should split the cost.

Can't they use rock to fill in the difference?

Reactions: setsailsoon

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Would it not make more sense to just remove the rebar and fix with free dirt from the dig and put the rebar back? Is that not possible?

You never fill a dig with dirt if it is overdug, only gravel. A pool needs to build on virgin ground that is compacted and undug. Dirt will settle and create a void under the pool and lead to cracking.

Construction Best Practices - Soil Backfill and Compaction

Last edited:
Reactions: JRo
My wife caught the "mistake". Our pool builder did not have the pool depths on the drawing other than the shallow and deep end depths, and the excavator only did about 5 feet of length in the shallow end and then went down 1 1/2' over the next 6', so 20 1/2' of the 31 1/2' length is at the deep end depth of 5'. We wanted more area at approximately 4' for playing around in the pool with the kids. Neither the pool builder or the excavator are taking any responsibility because there was nothing on the drawing showing the depth across the pool, and they are saying this is "standard" pool construction. This is our first pool and this is a hard lesson, but I now see the depth across the pool should have been on the drawing we approved.

I think this is BS, but I don't think I will win. They say they will give me a break on the Gunite (they estimate 7 additional yards and will do it for $1100) and if I want a 2nd row of rebar they will do it for $400 more. I will still try to get a better deal, but my question is do I need the extra rebar? Do you think they are giving me a break on the costs, or am I just getting the going rate?

The only good news is that we can fix it now rather than living with a pool we are not happy with.

Who provided the pool design and drawings? Normally this would be the pool builder. If it was his design or he contracted for the design, omitted dimensions required for construction are his problem unless the contract says otherwise (rare). Does your pool specification in the proposal or contract specify the dimensions in question?

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.