Pool damage

Mkstretch

May 24, 2020
ny
Ok so I had this damage done and now repaired. The pump has been off for about a week and added about half the water back and I’m ready to get it going again! Any recommendations before i start up the pump and chlorine generator? Thanks

49AAB3DE-39E7-4B7D-877F-18EEB2F0E1A6.jpeg

Once full, run a full set of tests. I would suggest taking it to SLAM level FC for a day or two prior to raising CYA levels. Run a OCLT before adding CYA.

Reactions: Mkstretch
Shoot. It couldn't just take out one or the other toy, had to be both?! Sorry about that. Marty will have you up and running right quick.

Liquid chlorine. Liquid shock. Chlorinating liquid. 10-12,5%
Look at Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, Ocean State Job Lot, Ace Hardware, etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Use the non-SWCG chart. You are not using the SWCG during the SLAM Process
That's interesting and a bit confusing. If that's the case, why are SWG specific slam levels provided? Also, slam levels provided are identical for SWG vs non-SWG for the same CYA levels?

Marty will have to chime in why he wrote it like that. Maybe he was just keeping it simple. You're right, the SLAM numbers are the same. Test your CYA, find your SLAM FC level and proceed. I think the more important part of his post was cautioning you not to use your SWG, which, I admit, would be tempting, to help you maintain the SLAM level. But you don't because part of the process is monitoring how much your FC drops during the SLAM, even hour by hour. If your SWG is on, it skews the process, as in: you think the FC is holding, so you think the SLAM is over, when really it's the SWG that is keeping the FC up, and your algae is still there, just using up your chlorine at the same rate your SWG is making it. Something like that.

The FC/CYA chart for a pool with a Salt Water Chlorine Generator is used when you use the SWCG. But during a SLAM, by definition, you are not using the SWCG, you are adding liquid chlorine, often. We just do not want members raising their CYA when they need to SLAM when they have a SWCG. That is counterproductive.

Now as far as using your SWCG during a SLAM, we recommend against it as it does not add much chlorine compared to what is normally needed during a SLAM. Some members do use the SWCG, that is their choice.

Oh shoot, sorry, we only allow 999 questions, bummer, 'cause you were sooo close!

Actually, I only know half the answer. You can't reliably test pH when the FC is at SLAM level. The pH test doesn't work. So because you can't monitor pH during a SLAM, you have to enter the SLAM with a specified pH and then "let it ride." The half I don't know is under which conditions you need to lower it and by how much. @mknauss?

Lower pH to 7.2 before you start. You won't be able to test it during the slam, but more importantly, the chlorine is more effective at that pH.
That is correct. Though with CYA in the water, the pH has little difference on the effectiveness of the chlorine, within reason.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.