Pool damage

Unless you have a PH meter.
Still not a valid result. High chlorine levels raise the pH. The pH then drops again when the chlorine is consumed. Net zero. So your pH will rise during the SLAM, but return to the starting point when you let the chlorine fall. If you raise the pH with chlorine, use your meter, reduce the pH with acid, then let your chlorine fall, your pH will drop too low, because the acid wasn't necessary at all. That's why the SLAM instructions say to adjust to 7.2 before you begin, then leave it alone.

Yesterday your water was not clear, and today you think you completed SLAM? Let's check all the criteria, so you don't have to start over if you exit too early.

Water is clear. Crystal clear, could call heads or tails on a quarter in the deep end, clear. No signs of algae anywhere, no discoloration, no clouds that get stirred up when you brush.

OCLT: test the chlorine at least 30 minutes after your last addition in the evening, after dark. Test again at least eight hours later, before sunrise. Less than 1 ppm chlorine lost overnight.

CCs less than 1.

You've passed all three?

There's nothing to be done to lower chlorine levels, other than wait. The sun will burn it off, as well as it getting consumed through normal processes (killing algae spores, dead skin cells, etc).

You can safely swim as long as the chlorine is below SLAM level and you can see the bottom of the deep end.

Yesterday your water was not clear, and today you think you completed SLAM? Let's check all the criteria, so you don't have to start over if you exit too early.

Water is clear. Crystal clear, could call heads or tails on a quarter in the deep end, clear. No signs of algae anywhere, no discoloration, no clouds that get stirred up when you brush.

OCLT: test the chlorine at least 30 minutes after your last addition in the evening, after dark. Test again at least eight hours later, before sunrise. Less than 1 ppm chlorine lost overnight.

CCs less than 1.

You've passed all three?

There's nothing to be done to lower chlorine levels, other than wait. The sun will burn it off, as well as it getting consumed through normal processes (killing algae spores, dead skin cells, etc).

You can safely swim as long as the chlorine is below SLAM level and you can see the bottom of the deep end.
Yes in the morning yesterday it looked like a dark teal. I had to add chlorine yesterday to bring FC up to my slam level and kept it their all day. This morning lost .5 chlorine and pool is clear. Do i continue to leave SWG off?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don’t think most people realize just how clear their water should be. Take a look at the TFP clear link in my signature. It is extremely unlikely you have gone from green to that clear in one day.

Losing the green tint doesn’t mean you are finished. Is your water hazy at all?

I don’t think most people realize just how clear their water should be. Take a look at the TFP clear link in my signature. It is extremely unlikely you have gone from green to that clear in one day.

Losing the green tint doesn’t mean you are finished. Is your water hazy at all?
Don’t think i said it was green. I just had a ton of leaves in it from trees that damaged it

Don’t think i said it was green. I just had a ton of leaves in it from trees that damaged it
What do you guys think of my pool water picture?

Good morning! You told us it was teal - so, typically that means algae has come to play.

Your water looks nice! I would SLAM for one more day, just to be sure you got it all. It‘s up to you, of course.

Reactions: Mkstretch
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.