Pool cover experiences

JessB412

Gold Supporter
Hey everyone,

It's time to purchase a safety cover for a first time pool owner here. I am SO torn here in two different areas.

Solid vs. Mesh

I understand that solid allows for the easiest start up in spring. My step daughter who worked for a pool company as a summer job said they are ridiculously heavy and they start to get weird after several years (like crinkly and harder to fold). She recommends mesh based on weight and they are easier to store/maintain. Also, they are twice the price of mesh. I really wonder if the solid with a pump (which is $200 and has to be replaced every 2-3 yrs) is worth the extra expense vs. the extra chemicals and week delay in the spring.

Name brand vs. off brand

Our pool people recommend Loop Loc and claim they are the best. I think all name brands are probably pretty comparable. The solid w/ pump is $1800 plus tax for an 18 x 36 pool.

At INYO pool I found a solid cover with the pump for $800 plus tax so we are talking a $1000 difference! Also INYO's has a better warranty on paper than Loop Loc.

Any experiences to share? We typically have a habit of buying the "best" in hopes for lower maintenance/hassle later but I truly wonder if that is the case here. I could buy 2 INYO covers in the time of 1 Loop loc assuming the cover failed early and that doesn't even taking into account the warranty.

As far as mesh vs solid we do plan on doing opening/closing ourselves after we learn how to. We plan on closing mid October and opening by early April each year. Our pool does get full sun most of the day. It will be a SWG. (It was recommended here to leave out salt this year since we just finished build and add salt next spring).

Appreciate all and any advice/experiences to help us make decision hopefully ASAP (like hopefully get covered ordered later today or tomorrow?)

I have a mesh leaf cover and a SWG. I like being able to see the water and if I have to catch "an issue", I can.

I'm in the Texas hill country so I won't be "closing" my pool for the winter. I put the cover on this weekend bc now is the time for cold fronts to start rolling through. I have trees surrounding my pool therefore LOTS of leaves falling. I placed intertube floats under the net so the leaves that land don't sit in the water (too much) on top of the net. I am experimenting with this set up. But I love my leaf net. I bought it 3 years ago & I bought it online. I really had no idea what I was doing at that point. I will say the steel cord the company sent it with was a complete joke.

I drove T posts around my pool and bungee cord the eyelets to the posts. It's not the prettiest but I can access the pool to throw my robo vac in and let it be busy in addition to getting water for testing. No leaves but I feel better about doing it.

Attachments

• IMG_7691 (1).jpg
    IMG_7691 (1).jpg
    882.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7692 (1).jpg
    IMG_7692 (1).jpg
    805.5 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Reactions: JessB412
I would go with the INYOpool cover. As you say you could go thru 2 of them for the same cost as the more expensive name brand one. Skippy and I are often guilty of "over-buying" and more often than not we're no happier with an item than others we know who have gone cheaper. Its a win-win situation for you since you'll have a chance to save money and yet still have a warranty.

Maddie :flower:

I have a solid Meyco pool cover that has lasted 20 years. It is heavy and takes two men to wrestle it on. Heavy material is a quality product that will last longer.

I have conflicting thoughts for my experience. We went with looploc for the piece of mind and the better chance of a quality cover. It’s rock solid and they delivered me a great product. My neighbor and myself fell on it one year and it laughed at holding up 2 grown adults. 7 years in and it folds just as nicely as it did when it was brand new. These are my ‘pro’s’

my ‘con’ is that one winter a dozen or more acorns got under the cover around the edges and wore holes in each spot. So although I don’t blame the cover, I basically damaged a much more expensive cover. That was a couple of years ago and the holes have not grown in size nor do the areas appear weakened in any way. If they happen to get any worse I will patch them to get a few more years out of it, but I’ll probably not like looking at all the patches and end up replacing it soon after.

Also, when the time comes I will be getting a replacement in blue. To me they are much nicer to look at than the big green trampoline.

I have conflicting thoughts for my experience. We went with looploc for the piece of mind and the better chance of a quality cover. It’s rock solid and they delivered me a great product. My neighbor and myself fell on it one year and it laughed at holding up 2 grown adults. 7 years in and it folds just as nicely as it did when it was brand new. These are my ‘pro’s’

my ‘con’ is that one winter a dozen or more acorns got under the cover around the edges and wore holes in each spot. So although I don’t blame the cover, I basically damaged a much more expensive cover. That was a couple of years ago and the holes have not grown in size nor do the areas appear weakened in any way. If they happen to get any worse I will patch them to get a few more years out of it, but I’ll probably not like looking at all the patches and end up replacing it soon after.
Thank you for the response! THat is my other wonder - I have heard the tension pieces on the concrete slab could cause rubbing damage and ppl were talking about modifiying things to put under to save their concrete patio. I was thinking if I went with something lighter maybe that wouldn't happen as much? Ugh ...I over analyze everything and seriously I don't think it has truly benefited me in the long run lol

I would go with the INYOpool cover. As you say you could go thru 2 of them for the same cost as the more expensive name brand one. Skippy and I are often guilty of "over-buying" and more often than not we're no happier with an item than others we know who have gone cheaper. Its a win-win situation for you since you'll have a chance to save money and yet still have a warranty.

Maddie :flower:
I'm really tempted. I dont' even know what brand it is. I just checked on INYO b/c I know its recommended here a lot. We have gone severely over budget due to 2 bad contractors (and the 3rd was okay but charged me like crazy b/c I had no choice) so saving a $1,000 is really tempting right now -- especially b/c I wnat to finish my landscaping lol

Do you use a pump with it? If so how long have the pumps lasted?

I use a Little Giant pool pump on it. Pump lasts a long time if I do not let it get buried in snow. Getting buried causes internal moisture and corrosion that trips the GFCI.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
oh yeah I do have the terrible blue vs green debate. I think I'm leaning towards green unless whatever cover I choose has a navy blue color. I'm not a fan of the brighter blue covers for some reason.

Taste being subjective to the owner and all...... i like the dark blues.

- I have heard the tension pieces on the concrete slab could cause rubbing damage

My looploc springs all have a rubbery/plastic sleeve to help protect them amd the patio. Nothing is perfect of course but it seems to work well.

I use a Little Giant pool pump on it. Pump lasts a long time if I do not let it get buried in snow. Getting buried causes internal moisture and corrosion that trips the GFCI.

sounds good. Unless we get a fluke snowstorm we average less than 3 inches of snow where I am each winter (although ice is a problem Jan/Feb). I can say I don't miss the Jersey winters lol I was in better shape though from shoveling!

Solids are almost twice as heavy, require a pump to remove excess water, are a huge pita installing once they fall in the water (water won’t drain off like a mesh) and you try to pull them out. They are more expensive as well.

Keep your deck clear of most debris and place foam rope just under the webbed perimeter and you will not have any mess. Properly installed and any leaves just blow off the cover, leaving zero mess. Improperly installed covers will sag into the pool water, creating puddles which any leaves will get stuck in. The sides and those puddles are where the issues come from. Both are easily solved.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.