Pool Chemistry HELP!!!

What about the high CC?
It will respond to SLAMMING. It is one of the 3 criteria required to pass the SLAM. You have said that the water is clear: that is 1. CC must return to normal: that is 2. And, OCLT must be normal: that is 3.

During the daylight, check for hidden algae on steps, out of the way places, etc. Brush it off and filter it out.

Leave the pump running the entire time. Round CYA up to 80 and use Shock level of 31. Keep it there until SLAM completed.

Reactions: flbranham
The CYA scale is logarithmic, not linear. There is no real way to measure 75 - so we suggest rounding up to 80.

How many gallons of water does your pool hold?

Use PoolMath to figure out how much chlorine to add to get to your SLAM Process level based on your CYA and pool volume. Based on your present FC level, add enough chlorine all at once to get to your SLAM level.

Check the FC level at least twice daily - more is better, especially at the beginning of the SLAM - and add enough chlorine - again, use PoolMath to figure out how much to add - to get back to SLAM level.

During the SLAM Process, only test FC and CC. Brush the pool at least once a day. Check your filter pressure and backwash/clean when filter pressure rises 25% above clean pressure. Continue following the SLAM Process process until completed.

Remember, the SLAM Process is a process - not a one time thing.

When posting test results, please post them vertically, not horizontally. This makes the results easier to read.

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Also, fill out your signature a bit more with pool volume, equipment names/model numbers and testkit name. This way it will show in all your posts and we won't need to review previous posts to figure out what you have.

@flbranham , I think we need to pause for a minute and have you answer some more questions. Something else is going on in your pool besides algae. If your water is clear, it shouldn't need 17 gallons of bleach in a day, no matter the bleach strength.
In your other thread it was noted that you may have an ammonia issue. Did you ever perform the test to check for ammonia? To check and defeat ammonia, if necessary, is to raise the FC in the water using enough liquid chlorine to get to 10 ppm. Calculate this amount of chlorine using PoolMath. After you add the liquid chlorine, circulate the pool for 15 minutes (no more than 20 minutes). Test FC and CC. If FC at 5 or below, add liquid chlorine to get to 10ppm again, circulate for 15 minutes, repeat until your FC is above 5 ppm after the 15 minute circulation.
At this point this ammonia test is very important. If you have ammonia, it will use up the FC very quickly. Until you get rid of the ammonia and the bacteria causing it, you won't be able to get your FC and hold it for any amount of time. Please perform this test ASAP and report back.

Also, add more information to your signature. Pool volume or depth, equipment type, etc. Use our signatures as an example. It will help us help you.
One final note. Please keep all your questions in one thread. Starting multiple threads makes it difficult to fully understand your issues.

@flbranham , I think we need to pause for a minute and have you answer some more questions. Something else is going on in your pool besides algae. If your water is clear, it shouldn't need 17 gallons of bleach in a day, no matter the bleach strength.
In your other thread it was noted that you may have an ammonia issue. Did you ever perform the test to check for ammonia? To check and defeat ammonia, if necessary, is to raise the FC in the water using enough liquid chlorine to get to 10 ppm. Calculate this amount of chlorine using PoolMath. After you add the liquid chlorine, circulate the pool for 15 minutes (no more than 20 minutes). Test FC and CC. If FC at 5 or below, add liquid chlorine to get to 10ppm again, circulate for 15 minutes, repeat until your FC is above 5 ppm after the 15 minute circulation.
At this point this ammonia test is very important. If you have ammonia, it will use up the FC very quickly. Until you get rid of the ammonia and the bacteria causing it, you won't be able to get your FC and hold it for any amount of time. Please perform this test ASAP and report back.

Also, add more information to your signature. Pool volume or depth, equipment type, etc. Use our signatures as an example. It will help us help you.
One final note. Please keep all your questions in one thread. Starting multiple threads makes it difficult to fully understand your issues.
We are getting alot of rain today 3 to 5 inches they say. Should I wait for the rain to stop before I proceed? Sorry for being so scattered I am new to this.

If there is no lightning... keep at it. The more you can test and keep chlorine at slam level, the quicker the pool will be clean.
Also, post a picture of your pool. Preferably with something to reference, like your pool brush inserted into the deep end, and the picture looking down at the brush (the deep end drain works also if you have one, just something that you'll take a picture of every day for reference).

If there is no lightning... keep at it. The more you can test and keep chlorine at slam level, the quicker the pool will be clean.
Also, post a picture of your pool. Preferably with something to reference, like your pool brush inserted into the deep end, and the picture looking down at the brush (the deep end drain works also if you have one, just something that you'll take a picture of every day for reference).
This is my pool this morning. When I get home I will post one with my broom in the deep end.20190608_060448.jpg

Attachments

• 20190608_060407.jpg
    20190608_060407.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: kimmielea
I don't think the broom at the bottom will be needed... We can see the pattern at the bottom of the pool, and the corners where the sides meet the bottom are well defined.
I am also of the opinion that you have ammonia and should follow the instructions given above.
Yes, it will take a lot of bleach, but it will also solve your issue.

Reactions: kimmielea

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The CC test has to be done immediately after the FC test. Add the R-0003 if it turnes pink then add R-0871 until clear and that is your CC reading and you stop testing. If you let the sample rest it will turn pink again, its normal.

Please review your FC/CC testing methods. A pool that looks like that should not be consuming chlorine at this pace.

Read, carefully, FAS-DPD Chlorine Test - Trouble Free Pool
Could
The CC test has to be done immediately after the FC test. Add the R-0003 if it turnes pink then add R-0871 until clear and that is your CC reading and you stop testing. If you let the sample rest it will turn pink again, its normal.
That is exactly how I am testing. Counting the drops until clear and multiplying.

10 ml pool water. 1 heaping scope of R-0870. Turns pink. Added R-0871 until clear counting the drops (12). Multipley by 0.5. Fc is 6. Added 5 drops of R-0003 it turns pink Added R-0871 counting the drops until clear (10) multiply by 0.5. CC 5. I read in the article that you need to test it fast. Do you think that I am not testing quick enough? My CC is still high.

Thank you.
The CC is being disrupted by something. Ammonia is not it with FC being tested.

Any non-chlorine shock used in the last month or so? Any other pool store potions, sequestrants, etc?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.