Pool Chemistry HELP!!!

I have off the charts iron in my well water. We have a complete treatment system for it, incl water softener with salt. We top up our pool with the completely treated water incl the softener. I would ask the company that installed your system if the softener is part of helping remove the iron before you bypass it. We bypassed ours once and we got iron staining all over our white fence, so now we never bypass it and no more staining.
I will Thanks!

I’m wondering if your permanganate injection is causing the positive interference you’re seeing. The purpose of the permanganate is to regenerate the green sand by restoring the manganese dioxide catalyst (the catalyst is what causes the dissolved iron to precipitate out). It would normally be flushed out of the media during the regeneration cycle through a series of rinse steps just as brine water is flushed out of the ion exchange resin of a water softener that removed hardness (Ca and Mg hardness).

The permanganate is a powerful enough oxidizer that it could produce either hypoiodous acid (HOI, similar to hypochlorous acid) or the triiodide (I3[-]) anion both of which can react with DPD and turn it pink again. So I suspect, but am not entirely certain, that there must be some interference going on with the CC portion of the test due to the presence of permaganate or manganese in general.

Do you have any water analysis (independent of the company that sold you the softener) to know how much iron and manganese is in your well water? The softener company is potentially an unreliable source of info because they have a motive to sell you something and say that it’s working fine. I’d want samples sent to an independent lab to verify that it’s all working.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.