Pool Chemistry HELP!!!

flbranham

May 20, 2019
Alabama
I have a new pool. We filled it up with well water. We have several issues I think. So I have a Tf- 100 test kit. 1st my SWG is reading 4000 the instant chlorine level says -3500. My green light is on that says it is generating. The light that says high salt is not on. We could not get a FC reading so we called the pool guy. He said shock it. We have been shocking every 4 hours. If we quit shocking the water turns green. This has gone on for a couple of days. We added Borax, baking soda, stabilizer. So when I test my FC is up to 4 but CC is at 11. The pool guy uses Accu strips his shoes no chemicals at all. My ph is low still when I check it an my CYA is 100. If I get the ph up will that change the CYA number. Please tell me what to do!!!

Expand for notes inserted in your post-

I have a new pool. We filled it up with well water. We have several issues I think. So I have a Tf- 100 test kit. 1st my SWG is reading 4000 the instant chlorine level says -3500. Do you mean the device says your salt level is 4000, but the test kit says the salt level is 3500? This isn't really a problem. The kit has a variance of =/-400 .

My green light is on that says it is generating. The light that says high salt is not on.
We could not get a FC reading so we called the pool guy. He said shock it. We have been shocking every 4 hours. If we quit shocking the water turns green. What is it you're doing to "shock" the water?? What product are you using?

This has gone on for a couple of days. We added Borax, baking soda, stabilizer. Please don't add any other products at this time.

So when I test my FC is up to 4 but CC is at 11. The pool guy uses Accu strips his shoes no chemicals at all. "Guess-strips are proof this pool guy doesn't know what he's about. We never trust strips. Totally inadequate.

My ph is low still when I check it an my CYA is 100. A CYA of 100 requires a partial drain and refill of fresh water before you can SLAM it clear. 100 is entirely too high to manage otherwise and that's what has allowed algae to take over.

If I get the ph up will that change the CYA number. Nothing lowers CYA except draining and refilling.

Please tell me what to do!!!

Please provide a full set of test results:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

and a signature line with details about your pool finish, size, equipment, how you chlorinate, etc. You can find the signature link under the "Settings" on the left side
<-------

Maddie :flower:

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

and a signature line with details about your pool finish, size, equipment, how you chlorinate, etc. You can find the signature link under the "Settings" on the left side
<-------

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

<-------

FC 4.5
CC 11.5
TA 70
PH 6.8
CYA 100
18X36 RECTANGLE with vinyl liner SWG.
We tried slam with Liquid chlorine but could not get get the chlorine to slam level of 24. We have been shocking it using RE-Fresh Dry Chlorinating granular.

That solid chlorine is Cal Hypo. Do not use too much before you test your CH.

The very high CC implies ammonia.

However, with a CYA of 100 (may be higher) drain and refill is most likely necessary. With a liner pool (inground?) you can only drain down a couple feet and then refill, circulate well, and test your CYA. Repeat until your CYA is 50 ppm or so.

To check and defeat ammonia, if necessary, is to raise your FC in the water using enough liquid chlorine to get to 10 ppm using PoolMath. Circulate the pool for 15 minutes. Test FC and CC. If FC at 5 or below, add LC to get to 10 using LC, circulate for 15 minutes, repeat until your FC is above 5 ppm after the 15 minute circulation.

That solid chlorine is Cal Hypo. Do not use too much before you test your CH.

The very high CC implies ammonia.

However, with a CYA of 100 (may be higher) drain and refill is most likely necessary. With a liner pool (inground?) you can only drain down a couple feet and then refill, circulate well, and test your CYA. Repeat until your CYA is 50 ppm or so.

To check and defeat ammonia, if necessary, is to raise your FC in the water using enough liquid chlorine to get to 10 ppm using PoolMath. Circulate the pool for 15 minutes. Test FC and CC. If FC at 5 or below, add LC to get to 10 using LC, circulate for 15 minutes, repeat until your FC is above 5 ppm after the 15 minute circulation.
I drained over 2 ft. We are getting ready to turn the pump on to circulate before I test the CYA. Do I need to turn on the SWG also?

The SWCG will not effect the CYA test. You will probably have to add salt for the SWCG to work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I need help!! I can't get my chemicals right. I have a 18x36 rectangle vinyl salt water pool. I filled it up with well water. My well has iron. Here are my numbers at 6pm.
FC-1.5. CC-13 ph-6.8 CH- 125 Ta-60 CYA-75 salt-3200. Earlier today I added Borax using pool math to get my ph to 7.2. I was told the pool needed to be slammed. I did a ten minute test to hold the FC 5-10 and then I tried to slam it. I printed the direction and went by them. I got up to FC of 19.5 but it started dropping. I added Liquid chlorine every time it said to add but the levels started dropping. After adding over the day 18 gallons of liquid chlorine my FC is back to 1.5 and my ph is 6.8. I don't know what to do. Can someone help me???

Your CYA is higher and that will make it harder to SLAM. Consider a partial water change to drop your CYA.

You can SLAM with a CYA that high. It will take a lot of bleach. It's worse in the beginning and then gets better. You may have to add bleach every 2 hours at first. Keep adding chlorine. Cut your SWG off and add it all manually. It appears you never got to your shock goal of 31 (round CYA up to 80). You just get there and keep it there for this to work.

Last edited:
Your CYA is higher and that will make it harder to SLAM. Consider a partial water change to drop your CYA.

You can SLAM with a CYA that high. It will take a lot of bleach. It's worse in the beginning and then gets better. You may have to add bleach every 2 hours at first. Keep adding chlorine. Cut your SWG off and add it all manually. It appears you never got to your shock goal of 31 (round CYA up to 80). You just get there and keep it there for this to work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.