Pool Build Finally Started - Bryan, TX (11/4/20)

Our pool build manager said the problem the plumbers have . . . Is they've never had a salt water generator and a heater AND chiller. He agreed with hubby that the configuration on the pad won't work and needs to be changed. Something about distance of flow. ?? Obviously I wasn't there.

Just the electrician today. I hear him banging on the wall next to me. And singing. At least the weather's nice!

• Sad
Reactions: kimkats
Yes ) And Pictures!
I will say the pool equipment pad has enough picture time as the pool build.
Two things: The owner of the concrete company looked over the work - No reason why he was visiting - And said the forms are off. He was right, 3". They had to add another board. . .
And the project manager was upset the plumbers left early when they could've gotten 3 hours of work in. The plumbers also left the instruction manual (in plastic bag) set up to use. . . (See it hanging down the side of the black equipment. Heater? Cooler? Something. Anyway, it rained. . . And we then realized it was soaked. So we spent time blow drying what we needed. It would've been fine but they opened the plastic bag and left it open and we had a lot of rain!
Was there a reason you did not extend the decking all the way to the house (foundation)? What are you going to place in that small area , rocks?

Was there a reason you did not extend the decking all the way to the house (foundation)? What are you going to place in that small area , rocks?
1. Drainage
2. Water blowing against the house (rain) - When rain hits cement, it bounces. If cement is near a house, the rain bounces up and hits the house bricks, which are porous. (Yes everyone should use a water seal on your lower house wall) !!
3. Two different 'foundations' (stress slab on house). Deck is 4" of concrete so we didn't want them rubbing against each other as the ground shifts. (We are on clay which tends to expand and contract depending on the water table.
4. The pool would come up to the first mortar joint on our house and is ripe for termites.

Yes, rocks. The gap is 6" and then 3' flower bed area by the existing patio / under a window. Hubby plans to make an incline to where the water flows along that channel and out.

1/7/20 Today the gas meter was hooked up. The plumbers with that job had to go to the store twice because they didn't have the right parts.
And the concrete decking.
Concrete crew out smoothing and laying down the non-skid stuff.

Last edited:
So. Things have been busy. When are they not?
We just got a letter from our PB. Here is part of it:

"We need to schedule a time to discuss the final stage of the pool, the plaster.
We got a bid to do this pool from J.R. Plastering in Houston to do the Wet Edge
plaster, but have been trying to schedule this for a couple of weeks now. They
have since called us and stated that they will not come to College Station
anymore because they are overloaded with their schedule, even though they had
bid the project prior to us starting your pool. We have since tried to find
other companies that do the Wet Edge plaster, which are limited, and are not
able to get another company to do the work for your pool. We are at an impasse.
We need to all meet at my office and discuss other options at this point.
No other company in town is getting access to this plaster. This is an unprecedented time in
which we are at the mercy of these contractors, and they are so inundated with
business that they can refuse whomever they like. I am very sorry. However, we
are able to talk with our Pebble Sheen provider, which is the best pebble
product on the market, and get the plaster polished so that it is smooth.
Please let me know a day and time that you both can come and talk with me."

Not sure where we go from here. And out of everything about this pool build, it was the plaster that took more thought and research to get what I wanted. Now this. I'm beyond disappointed.

Last edited:
It doesn't make sense to polish smooth a pebble pool -- Doesn't that ruin the texture, the whole point of having pebble?

I spent so much time figuring out what plaster we wanted. We were willing to spend a lot more money to get the Wet Edge. It had everything we were looking for. Also I'm not sure how a company can back out like that.

I have more pictures to share. Our deck was done, the coping, then the texturing. We had snow last week. Pretty at first but it laid over the mud and then melted into this slushy mess. . . .

• Sad
I was thinking of that too, Kim. I have the name of the plaster company: JR Plastering in Houston. They have some nice pools done on their webpage. . ... I hate to say this but I wonder if the mistakes/problems on the pool build are eating up their profit and they're cutting back on the plaster to make up for it? Yet we paid quite a bit more to have this plaster. I will call on Monday (tomorrow) and ask. It can't hurt.

they're cutting back on the plaster to make up for it? Yet we paid quite a bit more to have this plaster.
PB did not mention a price break since you are not getting THE plaster you paid for???? OH ADULT WORD NO!!! Time to write him a letter to say since I am not getting the plaster in the contract I should be getting $xx back!

Reactions: clambert1273
I agree, if not giving wet edge then money is due back to you ! For my reno, I wanted primera stone so I went on wet edge's site to find local installers myself & those were who I contacted for estimates.. if there were other contractors I contacted, I just made notes on what products they install so i could get as close to possible to the finish I want

maybe try contacting wet edge directly & ask for an installer around you

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, when we meet tomorrow we'll talk to the pool designer, the guy that worked thru the contract with us. We plan to get a refund on the finish. As it is, everything is done on the pool but the plaster/finish. Prior to yesterday's email our pool manager said the plaster would be done this week. Now we're in limbo again. And I don't mind being on hold. We're quite busy getting our yard back in shape.

I went to the Wet Edge site and found dealers in Dallas, Conroe, Austin, and Houston -- One is here in town but who knows about their rep. Our pool builder said they called around . . . . I know everyone is busy and pool builds are in demand.

The bid for Wet Edge was made in September then they cancel in January. I'm not happy looking at pool finishes once more. The excitement is gone.

• Sad
Reactions: Nikilyn
I get it, I do as I have waited & waited to finally even think about doing ours and now that I'm close I'm refusing to bend on certain things and will go out of my way to get them. Right now I have 6 places giving me estimates & dh is wanting me to get 2-3 more "just to cover the bases" lol sure everyone is busy but I guess I'm lucky where we are & all it seems to be doing is pushing start dates out into march/april which is acceptable to me

Reactions: Sollace
Hubby called JR Plaster in Houston, the company that accepted the bid. .. . But backed out. They are booked through April and are only taking re-plastering jobs. No new pool jobs.

Instead of meeting with the pool designer we talked. He said he reached out to Wet Edge. They gave him a few more options to pursue. There was one company in Austin that could accept the bid but the wait is five weeks.

I mentioned Hydrazzo and also Polished Scapes and he said he'd talk to his regular contact and see if they'll install Hydrazzo. I told him I like the 25 year warranty and the smoothness, that was the main reason we went with Wet Edge in the first place. He said he didn't know the longevity of Polished Scapes but did know that one can be done. So! We got a call back from him and he said Hydrazzo is a go, the one I was preferring. Yeah! So now it's deciding on color.

Thanks for your help those that were curious about all this. It's appreciated!
And pictures will come soon. I need to download from my camera, resize, and post.

Last edited:
Our pool designer said that Hydrazzo is more expensive than Wet Edge. Who knew. But the pool company is wonderful. Because the Wet Edge dealer backed out of the bid, they will cover the difference in cost and I don't have to pay any more. I offered to pay for the pool light but they stood by their earlier word and said they would. All I need to do is pay for the extra umbrella hole/sheath.

So pictures! Dates included. We've had rain and * * * Snow * * * !!!

These are of the pool equipment pad area - The plumbers need to reconfigure the piping.

Attachments

• 1-7-21Electrical.jpg
    1-7-21Electrical.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 1-7-21Chiller.jpg
    1-7-21Chiller.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 1-7-21Heater.jpg
    1-7-21Heater.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 1-7-21FilterPlus.jpg
    1-7-21FilterPlus.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 1-7-21SaltWaterGenerator.jpg
    1-7-21SaltWaterGenerator.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 48
Reactions: mastervic27
Deck, spray deck, and snow. Also a look at our side yard that our pets inhabit, along with the mud. Joy.
I didn't mind the gray concrete. The texturing spray stuff is an off white and right now it looks tacky. Not the crisp clean lines I see on other pools. Anyway, the mason needs to come back and scrape some of drips off the tile on the columns. Yup. It won't just come off and they messed up.

Good news -- Plaster coming next week!

Attachments

• 12-30-20Decking.jpg
    12-30-20Decking.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 69
  • 1-7-21SprayDeckingApplied.jpg
    1-7-21SprayDeckingApplied.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 1-7-21SprayDeckingClose.jpg
    1-7-21SprayDeckingClose.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 1-11-21SnowOnDecking.jpg
    1-11-21SnowOnDecking.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 1-11-21EarlySnowSideYard.jpg
    1-11-21EarlySnowSideYard.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 1-11-21SideYard.jpg
    1-11-21SideYard.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 66
Reactions: mastervic27
I think it is a cyclone filter. It was pushed / recommended for our build. I was flipping thru the pictures I posted here -- Yes, that is the textured spray before they painted it. Below are a few with the area painted. Still not sure if I like this off white color -- We've tracked mud over it and it shows everything.

Snow is rare in Texas, at least Houston and down in south Texas. The last time I saw it was 2017 in Katy and it was more icy and didn't stay long on the ground. This storm on 1-11-21 stayed on the ground and took it's time melting. The dogs weren't happy.

Pictures: Spray decking going on then a few of what it looks like painted. A close up. And our disgruntled dogs.

Attachments

• 1-7-21SprayDecking.jpg
    1-7-21SprayDecking.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 1-7-21SprayDeckingPainted.jpg
    1-7-21SprayDeckingPainted.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 1-7-21SprayDeckingPainted2.jpg
    1-7-21SprayDeckingPainted2.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 55
  • AfterSnowMelted.jpg
    AfterSnowMelted.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 1-11-21EllieAndBaz.jpg
    1-11-21EllieAndBaz.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
It was definitely unique! Once it melted it left the side yard extra muddy. In the dog picture, behind them is our side yard, full of snow. Poor pups, they've been put through the ringer this year putting up with a partial yard, strangers coming into their territory, noise, and now snow.
I've lost track of my dates and things done. So earlier today 1-22-21 a guy came to put in a new front fence and gate. He charged $850.00 when another bid was $1200. I haven't ventured over there with my camera yet. . . .

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.