polyquat question

JoanC

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 26, 2012
Rome, GA
This may belong somewhere else but my question is in regard to water balance in the end.

Rather than continue my hunt and search for answer to my question I'm going to ask you guys.

I need to add Metal Magic to sequester some iron staining on my steps.
I need my FC lowered to 3 or less to do this. Not a problem last year as my CYA was a constant 30.
This year my CYA is 45-50 so I can't go to 3 without risk of algae growth.

Staining is minimal as this is a new liner with new fill as of last year. It's only visible on the steps and skimmer that have worn surfaces actually.
My thought is to add some polyquat 60 with my FC lowered to 3 or so and do the sequestrant. I can then slowly raise the FC after a few days with no issue as Metal Magic tolerates this well.
My questions are:
of course do you agree with my plan?
and the big one is the polyquat 60 that I have is from a couple of years ago when I had my old liner. It's All Chem polyquat 60. I see no copper listed on the label but I want to be sure I'm not adding ANY more metal to this new liner.
I had been very confident with this algaecide years ago and even suggested here on the forum but I the web site I ordered it from doesn't carry it any longer and that makes me wary of it. They do however, have an All chem polyquat 30.

Can someone give me some reassurance in using this please?

Joan

I cannot give specifics on the staining issues. Other members will respond on that.

The Polyquat 60 algaecide does not have copper in it.

Reactions: JoanC
Hi Joan,
Polyquat 60 would be nice hedge against algae while you're removing the stains.
Its still out there by different brands, maybe just not all chem.

I dont know the difference between 60 and 30, so if it were me, I would go with what we know about. If you google "poly60 algaecide" you'll get a lot of hits.

Reactions: JoanC
Thank you both! I got the poly 60 in yesterday and the Metal Magic yesterday evening.
Only faint stain here and there on steps. I'll keep the chlorine at 3 for a couple more days until all staining is gone and then start bringing the FC back up.
Thanks again!
Joan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.