last minute closing questions regarding polyquat

ba67

Oct 17, 2018
Southern Kentucky
A pool service is closing our pool tomorrow and I have have some last minute questions:
1. The instructions on the bottle of polyquat say to decrease the PH to 7.4-7.6 to maximize the effectiveness of the polyquat. Is there any proof to suggest that the effectiveness of the polyquat will be reduced if the PH is 7.8-8.0 when I add it? I hate adding muriatic acid but I will lower the PH with the acid if it might increase the effectiveness of the polyquat. If I need to add the muriatic acid, I need to know how long I need to wait before adding the polyquat since I've never added muriatic acid before closing with polyquat before.
2. How should I put the polyquat into my pool so it gets mixed in real good if I can only run the pump for 15 hours instead of 24 hours after adding it like the manufacturer recommends? I'm not going to be able to get the polyquat into the pool until later today when the winds die down because I need to vacuum the leaves out before adding the polyquat.
3. If I end up needing to add liquid chlorine to get FC back up to half shock level and add muriatic acid to lower the PH this afternoon, which chemical do I add first, how long do I need to wait after adding each one, and how long do I need to wait before adding the polyquat?

1. Don't worry about your pH.

2. 15 hours will be as good as 24 hours.

3. Just add the PQ60 and move on with your closing.

Reactions: ba67 and Bperry
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.