Polaris VRX iQ+

I've had my robot for a couple weeks. I did contact Polaris and this was their response: "No need to worry we have seen this before and it should not affect the cleaner operation."

I don't really know but to me it doesn't sound right for a 2 week old machine. I would want a better answer. I found this comment to a review, although it's from the 9550 I have, I found the comment interesting. I would never do what that guy did with his cord because Polaris or the seller should take care of it because it is under warranty, but it might not hurt to take it to where you bought it if locally so they could look at the cord, or contact Polaris again and talk to their tech support or email. The email I found listed was [email protected].

The comment about the cord is the 1st comment here: Review with cord comment at Amazon

Good luck.

I'm happy to report that I am very pleased with my VRX iQ+. It managed to clear very fine debris I couldn't get with my suction vacuum. I love the fact that I can have the pool cleaned from the comfort of the app, far away from home. A few pics, including the crud it managed to remove from the bottom of my pool.

Unfortunately, I also had a frog become a victim of the VRX as well. Poor guy got sucked in and couldn't get out!

Attachments

• IMG_20200716_190226.jpg
    IMG_20200716_190226.jpg
    747.1 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20200716_190600.jpg
    IMG_20200716_190600.jpg
    473.1 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20200716_190751.jpg
    IMG_20200716_190751.jpg
    490.3 KB · Views: 67
Unfortunately, I also had a frog become a victim of the VRX as well. Poor guy got sucked in and couldn't get out!
Glad to hear you like your robot. Looks like it got a good size load of crud. Poor froggie though. I sometimes get them in the skimmer basket. I remember one night there was a big bull frog swimming around in the pool. So I took a skimmer net and was trying to get it out. Every time I'd manage to net him, he hop right off. Finally got him and managed to toss him over the fence.

I would for sure call Polaris again and speak with someone that shows more interest in the issue.
Not all techs are knowledgeable.

That is a good point. There's been times where a tech was really great, and then other times they didn't really know about the issue. I believe it was @
beegee226 who had the issue with his/her cord having a burn mark, but it was a new machine. Could be nothing but I agree, another call couldn't hurt.

Hey there - it has been quite awhile since this thread was active - however, I am looking for some advise. I have been using a Polaris 280 for over 18 years now ... been great but it is due for rebuild, repairs etc. and rather than put more money into this I am very interested in pulling the trigger at Leslies on this new Polaris VXR IQ. Looks like it will be a big upgrade, can get rid of my booster pump and other issues. Is everyone still pretty happy with their IQ and if you don't mind, what is a good price for one new at Leslies? They say a "Polaris Days" sale is around the corner but just curious what everyone has paid in the past. Thanks!!

Yep mine is still going strong. One of the best purchases I've made for my pool. Polaris days is your best bet, that's how I got mine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you for your quick reply and good to hear that it is still going strong! Do you mind sharing what a good price might be?
My motor drive block failed in my Polaris VRX IQ plus 2 months ago. The repair guy at Leslie's says that Polaris takes forever to replace parts. I'm still waiting. I call him every week. I sent an Email to polaris and no reply. That said, I still don't recommend.

One thing I should probably say about it is that it does not clean my steps or the seat I have in the deep end. It gets to the top of each step/seat, but can't pull itself up to the flat part. Not a big deal, I just have to brush those myself before cleaning with the robot.

Hello! I'm new to the forum and this is my very first post!

I'm currently in the market for a new pool cleaner and I'm looking to update to new technology from the tried and true pressure side cleaners that I have used for the past 15 years. Why? I'm a techno-geek so I'm always interested in new technology, especially if it works. Additionally, I'd like to remove the booster pump from the list of pool equipment that use large amounts of electricity, and require maintenance and repair or replacement on a regular basis. I like the idea of the smart pool cleaner, similar to the smart robotic vacuums in homes that learn the layout and intelligently ensure it covers the entire space requiring cleaning. I'm drawn to the VRX iQ+/Alpha iQ+ for these reasons. After reading some of the comments about robotic cleaners not cleaning stairs and other shallow platform features, I'd like to share some of my opinions. None of my previous pressure-side cleaners ever cleaned these features very well. Fortunately, those features are few (low percentage of the total cleaning area), easily accessible from the pool deck and don't tend to collect a lot of debris. I'm lazy but I bought a house with a pool so I understand that I have to be a little less lazy because of that. I prefer that my pool cleaner focus on the places in my pool that are hard to reach from the deck. I'm totally okay with pushing a brush across those shallow features every now and then when needed and push the debris to where my pool cleaner will reach it. It's not a big deal... (to me).

I do have some questions: Are these robotic cleaners intended to "live" in my pool, stay there and activate on a schedule (similar to my older tech pool cleaners)? Or are they intended to be stored outside of the pool and placed in it only for cleaning and then removed following the cleaning cycle? If the latter, I find the multi-day schedule feature a bit odd. FWIW, I'm okay with either operating model, I'm just curious about the original intent and also what everyone with these devices actually do.

I believe they are meant for either scenario. They have a scheduling option built in, which only makes sense if you keep it in the pool. I personally only put it in when I'm cleaning the pool, but tend to leave it in for a couple days before the weekend prior to when we are actually going to use the pool. I prefer to take it out because water eventually ruins anything, and feel like I should get more life out of it by not leaving it in all the time.

Reactions: gatormyk
My VRX iQ+ works really well.
Have been using it since about early December 2020.
A good price for it is anything around 1400 and lower. If you can get one for this, it's a steal.
Average price (we are talking new here), us around 1599 plus tax. Anything higher than 1650 and you should soend more time looking for a better deal.

Everyone I talk to always reminds me (including Leslie's folks), not to keep the robot in the pool. It's internals will get affected by the chemicals and it will eventually break. So I have been keeping it on a caddy, in shaded area, like garage, when not in use.
After each use, I use a garden hose and rinse the robot, outside and inside, including the water intake. Just my habit I guess.
So far it has been picking up all the dirt I want.
The basket that comes standard with it, left a lot of dust in the pool.
I called them but they said I have to buy if I want it.
If you want it, on Amazon it's called

Zodiac Polaris R0535800 fine sand and silt filter canister.​

My price was $44 with free prime ship. Very happy with it. Don't have many leaves but lots of sand due to house construction around me
When I first used the fine filter, I was amazed by how much it took out. U swept afterwards, to see it it leaves stuff behind, and I did not see dust while sweeping. Good sign. Make sure you are gentle with the basket, the net is much finer, and I can see it damaged if not handled with care, including rinsing after each use.

Overall, super happy with the robot. Hope it lasts for years.

When I was researching pool cleaners, I had the opportunity to demo both the Maytronics and and Polaris 96xx series. One thing I discovered was that the Polaris models would loose traction going up a wall when one set of wheels lost contact with the wall. The Maytronics units with the "tank" treads did not have that problem. We have a ledge on one end of the pool which is about 2' below water level. The Maytronics units will get on the ledge, but not the Polaris units.

The mapping function of the Polaris IO+ cleaners was appealing to me also. I have a mapping robot vacuum which works very well. However I have not seen any reports where the Polaris IQ+ units actually map a pool and perform a defined cleaning pattern.

I've had the IQ+ for a year now. It looks like it's 10 years old! The decals and labeling has mostly been eroded off, probably from the salt in the pool. Despite its looks, it is a great performer and I'm quite happy with it. It doesn't get run every day, but the days I do run it, it stays in the pool all day until we swim or close the cover (during the summer we don't close the cover as often so the robot stays in for a few days at a time). I've never washed it off like others have suggested (probably would look nicer if I had been doing that). But I've had zero problems with it doing a great job cleaning the sand & silt that we get blowing in here in the desert. We also have very hard fill water, so my CH is quite high and the robot does a good job collecting up calcium remnants.

I have the ultra-fine filter basket and run it 90% of the time. Only problem with that basket is that it limits the robots ability to climb walls because it doesn't get enough thrust. So every few weeks I'll put the regular basket in so it can climb and scrub the walls and waterline tile. Other thing to note is that it doesn't get the edges of the pool perfectly, so I typically will brush the edges of the pool inwards so the robot can get that slit that collects there occasionally.

I typically run a custom program, high, floor only, which takes about 2 hours. When I notice it's finished, I'll start it again using the app on my phone. I do this a few times throughout the day, and will empty the basket when it's out of the water. I've only had it say the basket was full a few times.

I'd buy it again if I was looking for a new robot. It wasn't cheap, but I'm much happier with the sand and silt getting cleaned up by this than vs. stuck in my cartridge filter from using the vacuum.

Reactions: Fishy1234
I've had the IQ+ for a year now. It looks like it's 10 years old! The decals and labeling has mostly been eroded off, probably from the salt in the pool. Despite its looks, it is a great performer and I'm quite happy with it. It doesn't get run every day, but the days I do run it, it stays in the pool all day until we swim or close the cover (during the summer we don't close the cover as often so the robot stays in for a few days at a time). I've never washed it off like others have suggested (probably would look nicer if I had been doing that). But I've had zero problems with it doing a great job cleaning the sand & silt that we get blowing in here in the desert. We also have very hard fill water, so my CH is quite high and the robot does a good job collecting up calcium remnants.

I have the ultra-fine filter basket and run it 90% of the time. Only problem with that basket is that it limits the robots ability to climb walls because it doesn't get enough thrust. So every few weeks I'll put the regular basket in so it can climb and scrub the walls and waterline tile. Other thing to note is that it doesn't get the edges of the pool perfectly, so I typically will brush the edges of the pool inwards so the robot can get that slit that collects there occasionally.

I typically run a custom program, high, floor only, which takes about 2 hours. When I notice it's finished, I'll start it again using the app on my phone. I do this a few times throughout the day, and will empty the basket when it's out of the water. I've only had it say the basket was full a few times.

I'd buy it again if I was looking for a new robot. It wasn't cheap, but I'm much happier with the sand and silt getting cleaned up by this than vs. stuck in my cartridge filter from using the vacuum.
I live in Apple Valley, California and have been dealing with the high winds blowing dirt and pollen in the pool, this robot along with the ultra fine filter does a great job of cleaning it out. When I dump the basket it looks like mud.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.