Polaris Quattro to appease my pool service?

aquaman

May 28, 2008
Pleasanton, CA
1. The service company I am using (work life got hectic) will not touch the robot due to liability?
When I was out of town for 10 days robot was in shed.
Trying to push me back to pressure sided cleaner - and that would also mean new booster pump.
2. They recommended a Polaris Quattro - took me some time to differentiate the ones that are robots vs the pressure side ones that look like robots. It does look like it traps fine soil/sand particles like my robot. TRUE?
3. thru 10. Would be me asking various forms of why the heck I'm using a pool service because I can grow algae as well as they can!

Get rid of your Pool Service company instead of your robot cleaner.

Reactions: guinness
What possible "liability" could there possible be?

Tell them they either want your job or not.

The tail should not be wagging the dog!!!

Thanks,

Jim R.
Jim, they have a legitimate case for not accepting the liability that is definitely there. Ask any commercial insurer that insures pool services and they will tell you that, reasonable or not, virtually any dispute between a homeowner and contractor will end up in the homeowner's favor. Insurance company pays, but to just have them act in your behalf usually is a $500.00 deductible, whether you win or not. Then, rates can go up.

Being on the "other end" of this equation I, too, would rather walk away than be responsible for equipment that I could be blamed for damaging and am not able to repair. We live in an era of, "Its his fault my 5 year old equipment broke." Had a (ex-) customer try to blame me for flooding his yard. First, we never fill pools, as recommended by insurers (its in the service agreement) and, second, I was out of town when the flooding occurred. Extreme, yes, but it happens. Fortunately, my insurance broker was also a lawyer. He informed them that, since it could be proven that I wasn't even in town, they would counter file a claim of insurance fraud.

Robotic cleaners are the one item that I can't/haven't repaired because there are no parts available through distribution (other than an occasional filter/basket. etc.) and no factory tech support. I've tried. Its just business.

Poolman, Aquaman,

I am confused, which is about par for me.. :mrgreen:

Is the problem that they are worried that they will damage the robot or that the robot will damage the pool?

The whole thing makes no sense to me.

Jim R.

With TFP methods, no pool company is needed 🙂.

If frequently being away for a period of time is the concern, I think a Stehner pump could solve that. They aren't super cheap, but I would think they're cheaper than paying a pool company to come out.

I have one. Over a short period of time I learned my pool needs about half a gal of my 12% bleach a day. I program my pump to automatically dose that amount each day from a bucket with 5 gal in and good to go! I still look the pool over daily, and test weekly, but I am comfortable leaving it when we go on vacation. Especially if I can get a family member to just pop by and look at it.

Pair that with the robot you already have, I would think you could leave the pool for 10 days and be fine. Use a container of the appropriate size to hold whatever amount of bleach you need.

Either way, you already have the robot. I'd absolutely use that and not needlessly buy a pressure cleaner! If it fails, then think about a change.

If I already had a robot I wouldn’t want to buy another cleaner. That being said we have the Quattro sport and it does clean pretty well (can confirm the fine filter mesh) Its run on a program so it’s pretty much forget about it and leave it in. Probably should empty the basket more (our builder mentioned every 7-10 days). Have only had it a year so have no idea about longevity. When we went out of town we just left it in.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.