Done with the Quattro Sport

hepmama

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Sep 12, 2015
Dallas TX
The Quattro was 3 years old this month but started circling in the deep end, literally circling the drain most of the time. Took it in and the assessment was it needed a new engine, gear box, side brush gear box (left and right,) 8 wheel bearings, and 4 tires, all to the tune of $820. They instead recommended replacing it with the TR28P (280) for $620 plus tax. So that’s what I decided to do. I had the 280 before the Quattro so am familiar with it.

They said the Quattro doesn’t do well in salt pools. There have been some improvements in the parts but warranty is only 1 year and I’m well past that.

Before the Quattro broke it did a really good job. Unfortunately It has a lot more parts to break and parts are more expensive and harder to get than the 280, according to the technician. With the salt pool I don’t want to take the chance on it again right now.

Just wanted to share my experience with the Quattro. I’m bummed about it because I liked it very much.

You might want to look at the 3900. This model seems to fix most of the wear issues with the 280. For example, it is chain driven so no belts to stretch and replace, and the water management unit is a single piece of formed plastic rather than the hoses and connectors of the 280 (so again, fewer pieces to come apart or wear out). I've had mine for 8 years with minimal maintenance - I had to replace the water management unit last year (it had cracked) which was ~$50. It had some teething problems when it was first released (the chain would come off the drive gears), but mine has been rock solid (I bought mine about 6 mos to a year after it first came out). Of course, your mileage will vary. I've read at least one comment in this forum complaining about it being "high maintenance" (wheels, bearing, etc.), but that hasn't been my experience.

I inherited an old 280 with my pool, and I spent a few seasons replacing ~$100 worth of parts (belts, hoses, floats, wheels). When I started replacing stuff I had already replaced, I retired it for the 3900.

Reactions: hepmama
You might want to look at the 3900.
I'll make a note of this for the future since I already got the new vacuum (TR28P/280) going. When it's out of warranty and needs a $$$ repair I will look into other options. Thank you for sharing your experience with it - sounds great!

Not that this helps much but I agree with you @hepmama. I think Polaris builds these things to last 1 year and that's it. I have the Quattro Sport, provided to me as part of my build last year. It's been in for warranty repair twice in the past 4 months and now needs to go in again. My warranty expires in less than a week. I contacted Polaris and asked for a direct replacement, explained it's already been in twice, seems like a lemon at this point and was told not happening, take it in for service. I too have a salt water pool so it stays in basically 24/7 unless we're in the pool. Was told by the tech on last service I needed to take it out daily, spray it down with fresh water, and only place it in the pool when needed/being used. If I'm going to have that hassle why not just switch to a robot. :)

Just purchased a Maytronics/Dolphin Explorer E30 robot. It runs circles around the Quattro Sport and comes with a 2 year warranty standard.

Was told by the tech on last service I needed to take it out daily, spray it down with fresh water, and only place it in the pool when needed/being used. If I'm going to have that hassle why not just switch to a robot. :)

Just purchased a Maytronics/Dolphin Explorer E30 robot. It runs circles around the Quattro Sport and comes with a 2 year warranty standard.
Wow! I have never used a robot so I'm not familiar with how they work. I'll add this to research when it's time to replace the new one. Thanks for sharing.

I specifically logged on to see if anyone else was having an issue with their Quattro Sport. This is the second one that needs a gearbox in 2 years. The first one was replaced with a new unit right at the year mark when the gearbox went out. Now I've had the second cleaner for just over a year and the gearbox, drive shaft, and engine need to be replaced ($543). Not going to do that. I give up on the unit and will replace it with dolphin robot. When it worked it worked great, however the life span of the unit is just too short for the cost.

I specifically logged on to see if anyone else was having an issue with their Quattro Sport. This is the second one that needs a gearbox in 2 years. The first one was replaced with a new unit right at the year mark when the gearbox went out. Now I've had the second cleaner for just over a year and the gearbox, drive shaft, and engine need to be replaced ($543). Not going to do that. I give up on the unit and will replace it with dolphin robot. When it worked it worked great, however the life span of the unit is just too short for the cost.
That is a bummer and I agree the life span is too short. Do you have a salt pool, also?

Reactions: TinkerBell73
I specifically logged on to see if anyone else was having an issue with their Quattro Sport.
I thought my 380 had died, so I also came straight to the TFP forum to see what the feedback was on the Quattro, as I’d love to have something that also scrubs the walls if I needed to replace the 380. Turns out it was only the pressure relief valve on the wall connector, so I avoided the expense of a new cleaner by getting a $20 part. But now I also know to avoid the Quattro in the future. My 380 is 15 years old, sits in the pool 24x7 (unless we’re having a party), works really well, and is low maintenance. I still don’t understand the fascination with robots that require a caddy, extension cord, and storage out of the pool. Seems like a hassle.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I thought my 380 had died, so I also came straight to the TFP forum to see what the feedback was on the Quattro, as I’d love to have something that also scrubs the walls if I needed to replace the 380. Turns out it was only the pressure relief valve on the wall connector, so I avoided the expense of a new cleaner by getting a $20 part. But now I also know to avoid the Quattro in the future. My 380 is 15 years old, sits in the pool 24x7 (unless we’re having a party), works really well, and is low maintenance. I still don’t understand the fascination with robots that require a caddy, extension cord, and storage out of the pool. Seems like a hassle.
I didn’t know what was involved with a robot but that doesn’t sound fun. I also keep my cleaner in 24/7 year round.

I second that. I love the performance, but I have had nothing but problems with parts wearing out. Unless you're diy'er with a 3D printer to replace all the worn out gears, definitely do not buy this. I have replaced the bearings, retainer screws, gear box (twice) engine assembly, wall connector and filter screen. Now it needs 2 new axles, drive shaft, cyclonic turbine, tires and bearings (again). Gonna be another $400, no to that. Plastic gears just can't take the strain and wear put on them. If you could cheaply replace just the gear part that wears out and not the entire assembly, I would be ok with that. But the only way you can get the $.99 nylon gear is by purchasing the $150 assembly. Even their bearings are $10,a piece! Not even a sealed unit, just an open ball bearing, smh. This thing uses 8 bearings just for the 4 wheels, there's about 20 in total.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.