Polaris 3900 problems

DontFillitin

Platinum Supporter
May 7, 2015
Birmingham/AL
Moved from here.
Hey guys. Haven't posted in a while. We had 2 trees cut down right beside the pool last year. Well.... they didn't give me notice before coming, and I lost the last month or so of swim season because I was fighting sawdust in the pool.... a LOT of sawdust. I feel the need to mention I would rather deal with algae! I ended up putting the cover on because it got to the point that leaves were filling the pool faster than I could get them out. My Polaris 280 broke, as did my drive to clean the pool. A few weeks ago I thought "i'm taking back my pool!" and bought a 3900. I was so excited about it, and the thing is beautiful.... I didn't want to throw it in the frog pond so I decided to give the 280 one last go. That didn't go as planned. I broke out the leaf eater, to find the bag is dry rotted. The only thing I could find was a Michael Kors giftbag. It isn't mesh, so that didn't work either (she wasn't happy). FINALLY, I broke down and threw Wheelie (3900) in the pool. Fresh bag, plenty of pressure, rear jet aimed correctly, and no clear leaks..... he goes in circles, won't climb walls, tail drags, etc and I don't know where to begin. Water temp was 47* when I checked it a few days ago. I looked at all of the things mentioned above and I'm still lost.

With that said.... The pool is pretty bad. I know I should vac, but the limit of the skimmer basket or even in line leaf traps for the vac is discouraging to say the least. I need more of a 10 gallon leaf trap. Do any of you have those lying around?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would call the dealer where you bought it or Polaris and put in a warranty claim on it or return it. You could have got a lemon.

Consider exchanging it for the Quattro Sport. A bit more expensive for improved cleaning technology.

Let us know how it turns out.

Reactions: DontFillitin
I would call the dealer where you bought it or Polaris and put in a warranty claim on it or return it. You could have got a lemon.

Consider exchanging it for the Quattro Sport. A bit more expensive for improved cleaning technology.

Let us know how it turns out.
I had a hard time getting approval on the 3900. Not sure the wife will allow another $300.

I think you can get a better deal on a robot cleaner from Margaret at Marina Pool, Spa & Patio in Lakewood, CO.

I started researching robots and I see a TON of negative reviews. Some say they wont self right, some say they last a few years and quit and some even say only a few months, then having war stories of dealing with repairs. I know the pressure cleaners are fairly inexpensive to rebuild and from what I see the robots are basically disposable due to part cost and the fact that you have to have them repaired at a supplier. I took the hose off of my old Polaris last night and put it on the new one. It stayed on all 3 wheels, moved better, and overall did a better job. The tail still didn't sweep, and though it tried, it did't quite climb the walls. I'm "up in arms" about what to do here. While I feel like I wasted the money on this one, I dont want to waste even more on a different one. For almost $1k you would think this thing would turn a pond blue in a few hours.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.