Polaris 3900 sport replacement

jlim0930hh

Jan 5, 2020
Dallas,tx
My 3900 is about 3 years old.. bottom chassis is all scratched up and worn out to a point that there is a big hold and you can see everything inside. it is also leaking water where the water shoots up to the mesh.

Kind of sad to see its in this shape after only 3 years.

- Would you just get a rebuild kit and rebuild it?
- upgrade to a different model like quattro?
- other suggestions?

My 3900 is about 3 years old.. bottom chassis is all scratched up and worn out to a point that there is a big hold and you can see everything inside. it is also leaking water where the water shoots up to the mesh.

Kind of sad to see its in this shape after only 3 years.

- Would you just get a rebuild kit and rebuild it?
- upgrade to a different model like quattro?
- other suggestions?
If you like a booster-pump cleaner, and wouldn't mind a "older" look, try the Polaris 280. Works off the same pump. Mine just keeps chugging, have only changed the bearings, tires, the sweep tail (all wear items) and the occasional bag in the last 10 years. Its my second one in 30+ years.

My neighbor allowed his son to talk him into a 3900. Took out a perfectly good 280 and gave it to someone. I'm repairing it tomorrow for the third time in a year and a half. He keeps going through the transmission drive gears. Probably because he uses his pool for his many relatives and friends and won't take it out as I have encouraged him. Repairs, and all parts, for that 3900 are considerably more costly than a 280. My pool stays as clean as his and I have a very dirty yard, for pool purposes, way too much foliage.

Reactions: jlim0930hh
I have a 3900 on season 8. I have never done anything to it but change bags occasionally and tail sweeps. I take it out of the pool when non family members are over. My kids leave it alone. It’s what my builder “told me” I should use. So far, it’s been an absolute beast. YMMV.

I have a 3900 on season 8. I have never done anything to it but change bags occasionally and tail sweeps. I take it out of the pool when non family members are over. My kids leave it alone. It’s what my builder “told me” I should use. So far, it’s been an absolute beast. YMMV.
Take care of it and they are very good, as you have seen. Builder gave you, and you actually followed, the best advice for a good long service life.

The Quattro cleans better than any of the other pressure side Polarises. It also climbs better and scrubs like a robot.

The downsides are that it's finicky about pressure (needs much less than the ones with tails) and its filters are more work to clean than the 3-wheelers' bags. Other folks on the forum have reported problems (search and you will find), but I haven't had any in the 2 years I've had it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.