Please share your pictures of your solar cover reels on oval pools

nobueno

Silver Supporter
Sep 25, 2019
Erie, CO
We have a 21x41 oval pool. We're going to have a deck on one end but don't want to mount the reel in front of the stairs. Planning on putting in some 4x4s on the deep end and mounting it on those but I'd love to see some more pictures before I do. I've done some searching but haven't turned up many great results.

Reactions: Cwiggs
I have a GLI Whirlwind reel that I just mounted on 4x6 posts behind my pool. Mine is round but I don’t see any reason why the same idea wouldn’t work on an oval- probably better, actually.

I’ll try and grab some pics tomorrow. It’s not perfect, but I can both cover and uncover the pool in about 5 minutes or less, without getting in the pool, and don’t have to worry about where to put the cover.

I have a GLI Whirlwind reel that I just mounted on 4x6 posts behind my pool. Mine is round but I don’t see any reason why the same idea wouldn’t work on an oval- probably better, actually.

I’ll try and grab some pics tomorrow. It’s not perfect, but I can both cover and uncover the pool in about 5 minutes or less, without getting in the pool, and don’t have to worry about where to put the cover.

Thanks! I ordered the hurricane because we might put in a small deck on that end but I'd love a mount like the one you have. I wasn't able to find a direct mount like that for the bigger reels.

Pics as promised. It’s a GLI Whirlwind Reel, the 4inch model made for pools up to 28 ft. My pool is 24 feet, and I spaced the posts 25 feet apart.

The posts are 4x6 ground contact pressure treated wood. I used 4x6 instead of 4x4 because the base for the reel “arms” is rectangular and a little longer than 4 inches. The actual GLI base for each side is backordered and I’m still waiting on them - so in the interim I cored a 2 inch hole in some pieces of 4x6 lumber to use as a makeshift base. It’s not pretty but it works.

Overall the reel works well. But, because the pool is round, the cover wants to bunch up toward the middle when rolling it up. So I have to periodically pull each side of the cover toward the edge so it roll up more evenly. It takes about 5 minutes to roll it up, less time to put it back on the pool.

The straps that came with the reel were too short for my setup. I bought this on Amazon and it worked perfectly as a replacement.
Strapworks Lightweight Polypropylene Webbing - Poly Strapping for Outdoor DIY Gear Repair, Pet Collars, Crafts – 3/4 Inch by 10, 25, or 50 Yards, Over 20 Colors Amazon.com : Strapworks Lightweight Polypropylene Webbing - Poly Strapping for Outdoor DIY Gear Repair, Pet Collars, Crafts – 3/4 Inch by 10, 25, or 50 Yards, Over 20 Colors : Sports & Outdoors

Let me know what questions you have!

Reactions: Jenso and nobueno
ZBq3Ek.jpg

tYGgMc.jpg

4HnoPm.jpg

3ADRj1.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.