Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Moved from here.
@BigPapaSmurf
Looks amazing. We'll be building similar not far from you in Willis. I've narrowed the builder to two finalists but am getting different suggestions regarding plumbing design/layout. Our vanishing edge pool will also have a spa and water features (bubblers and sheer descents). Would you mind posting your plumbing layout/design?

Attachments

• 12-15-2021 2-17-39 PM.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 79
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in the process of finalizing a pool builder and I've gotten different opinions with regards to running Pentair bubblers from the filter pump or the dedicated water feature pump which will also supply 3-24" sheer descents. Both pumps are Pentair Intelliflow VS 3 HP pumps. I've also been advised by a company that that same water feature pump may not be sufficient to run both the bubblers and sheers. I would appreciate your feedback/opinions. Thanks!

CORRECTION - the water features pump is actually 1.5 HP.

Last edited:
The flow your sheer descents and bubbler needs depend on how they are mounted and what you expect.

How high will the sheer descents be mounted and how much of a throw do you want?

7135ADC5-9961-4D2C-889B-E620A1A4E2EF.png

What will the water depth be at the bubbler and how high of a plume height do you want?

C5451483-35EC-4F77-A8C3-5248CF54A17E.png

Figure the water feature IntelliFlo pump can give you around 100 gpm at full speed and properly plumbed with large enough pipes.

Moved from here.
@BigPapaSmurf
Looks amazing. We'll be building similar not far from you in Willis. I've narrowed the builder to two finalists but am getting different suggestions regarding plumbing design/layout. Our vanishing edge pool will also have a spa and water features (bubblers and sheer descents). Would you mind posting your plumbing layout/design?
Duffatola - I’m actually still waiting on that from the building. I started to draw it up myself, but I got distracted. :rolleyes:
One question to ask yourself is do you want to run your vanishing edge, spa, and water features all at the same time? If the answer is yes get ready for a complex set-up. I will work on the plumbing drawing and post it up when I’m done.

Another consideration is when do you want the bubblers to be on. You do not mention if you have a spa or not. But if you are using the spa then anything connected to run with the main filtration pump cannot operate with flow to the pool. So for example, if you wish to have the bubblers on in the pool while in Spa mode, that is not feasible unless the bubbler is on a separate pump. You will have the sheer decents on their dedicated pump so they can operate whether in pool mode or spa mode which uses your main filtration pump. So in addition to the pump capabilities, think through what you want to operate and whether if you are in Pool or Spa mode.

I'm getting conflicting views from the two finalists for our build and would appreciate any advice.

1. One states it's a good idea and will help keep the basin clean.
  2. The other states it's not recommended because it would suck air and cavitate the pump when water level drops due to bather load and water in transit. If water level set to skimmer level like on a pool you would have water loss through the overflows and high water bills and trouble sanitizing due to water loss.

12-21-2021 1-38-08 PM.jpg

I think Builder #2 understands better how a catch basin works and how much variability it has in water level.

Duff,

None of builder #2's statement makes much sense to me..

The catch basin pump should not come on if the water level is low in the catch basin. Why would you have additional water going into an overflow? I'm not sure where the water would be lost... :scratch:

That said, I am no infinity edge expert so I'd like to phone a friend... Calling @JamesW

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Duffatola
One states it's a good idea and will help keep the basin clean.
What is a good idea?

The skimmer should work at the level of the infinity edge.

The catch basin should be deep enough and wide enough to hold enough water to prevent any problems.

The edge pump should be on any time there are swimmers in the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What is a good idea?

The skimmer should work at the level of the infinity edge.

The catch basin should be deep enough and wide enough to hold enough water to prevent any problems.

The edge pump should be on any time there are swimmers in the pool.
In other words, it's a bad idea to have a skimmer in the basin?

Ok.

I would say no skimmer due to the fact that the level is not steady.

Use multiple main drains.

I would use at least 4 regular main drains or 2 really big main drains.

How deep is the catch basin?
James, I updated my signature to include more info but am not sure it will populate prior to my post. Here are some details: Geometric 27'x32', ~16K gal, PebbleTec-TBD, Infinity Edge-25' Long, Catch Basin 26' L x 3' W x 4.5' D w/Levelor K2300 Autofill , Spillover Spa, Sun shelf w/2 Bubblers, Pentair Intellitouch i9+3 w/ScreenLogic2, 3 - Pentair 3 HP Intelliflos (Filter, Edge, Water Features), Pentair #520 Pool Filter, Pentair #150 Basin Filter, Rainbow 320 Pool Chlorinator (Pool + Basin). Paramount Ozone/UV Combo, Jandy 2 HP Blower, Pentair MT-400,000 Spa Heater, Pentair Valves, A&A Channel Drains (pool, Spa, Basin)

I've been advised to utilize 1 drain each in the pool, basin and spa.

I've been advised to utilize 1 drain each in the pool, basin and spa.
Drains have to be at least two unless they are qualified as "unblockable" and your local code allows a single unblockable drain.

I would go with two unblockable or 4 regular drains in the catch basin.

Even though a catch basin is not intended for use, kids will often get in a basin to play unless you specifically watch and prevent.

In any case, you want maximum safety and performance.

Putting an autofill on a catch basin can be problematic due to the fluctuating level from pump on to pump off.

Drains have to be at least two unless they are qualified as "unblockable" and your local code allows a single unblockable drain.

Even though a catch basin is not intended for use, kids will often get in a basin to play unless you specifically watch and prevent.

In any case, you want maximum safety and performance.

Putting an autofill on a catch basin can be problematic due to the fluctuating level from pump on to pump off.
Much appreciated. The autofill has been another "bone of contention" as I've heard differing opinions regarding placing it in the basin or pool.

I have an infinity edged pool. The auto fill is indeed in the catch basin. The pool level will always be the same but the level in the catch basin will be variable. No skimmer in the catch basin is required and not practicable

I have also seen auto-fills installed in the basin. I believe the level was set with the edge pump running, since that is when the water in the basin is lowest. In my recollection it worked well. I guess the only downside is you would need to run your edge pump regularly enough that it kept the pool full.

I've seen plenty of basins with skimmers as well...perhaps they were plumbed in with the main drains to avoid drawing air? Or had a deep body with an equalizer line?

I'd love to see a breakdown of how these components all work together in this scenario, curious what the consensus 'best' approach is.

Is there a "method to the madness" regarding how many unblockable drains to install both in both the basin and the pool? Is it a good idea to use dual suction instead of single suction?

Attachments

• AVSC Dual Suction Channel Drain.jpg
    AVSC Dual Suction Channel Drain.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 13

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.