PH quick rise on recently renovated pool

Apr 19, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Hi all. The PH of my recently renovated (9 months ago) in ground pebble finish SWG pool consistently creeps above 8 within 24 to 36 hours after lowering to 7.5. The water looks great and the surface of the pool is clean.

Here are my numbers as of this morning:

FC - 4
PH - 8.2
TA - 60
CH - 250
CYA - ?
Salt - 3200

Should I assume the relatively quick PH rise is due to the new(ish) pebble finish, low TA or both? Other thoughts on what to do to stabilize PH based on my numbers?

Thank you.

Mostly due to your new plaster. Low TA will help slow the rise. Yours is good.

Your fill water is no doubt higher in TA. So that adds to the pH rise. It should slow down some now that the evaporation rate will be reducing.

Your CYA is a pretty important number. You should be testing that monthly during the summer months.

Thanks for your thoughts. I agree that the PH rise is probably mostly due to new plaster. I had not considered the TA of my fill water and the high current evaporation rate. I will test my fill water soon to see if it has higher TA than the pool water.

I understand and agree on the importance of CYA. I plan on testing CYA this weekend as I ran out of the reagent for the test and just received in the mail yesterday. If I had to guess I am in the 50-60 range, but I will know shortly.

I got impatient waiting for my new pebble to "settle down" regarding the pH-rise I have been experiencing. I installed a Pentair IntellipH and don't have to think much about muriatic acid any more. Your pool's pH could stabilize over time. So could mine. I didn't wait to find out. The IntellipH is a great companion to my Pentair IntelliChlor 40. I don't know if or how it works with a Pentair iCHLOR 30. I can give you more details if you're interested...

There are other things you can try before you buy, so to speak. I'm just sharing how I solved it.

Here's my thread about it:

Being Held Hostage By My Pool!!! (aka Intelliph installation))

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.