Charlotte
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Solaxx (Saltron) Reliant / Purechlor R5
New user and first time pool owner here, sorry if this is the wrong place to post!

We opened a pool a bit late and the pool was pretty green. I'm assuming FC level to be 0 due to the algae. I bought the tf100 test kit and we tested TA, CYA and pH last night.

Vinyl pool, ~32K gallons

TA 160
pH 6.8
CYA 0

From my understanding the pH should be around 7.2-7.5 prior to SLAM and that for LC to be effective the CYA levels should be at least 60-70 for a pool with SWG. We have a Purechlor SWG CLG125a but from reading other posts it seems I should leave it off until I finish SLAM.

Given my current levels, should I focus on raising ph (using borax?) and raising CYA level prior to SLAM?

Any help is appreciated!

Reactions: cowboycasey
Welcome to TFP :)

I would put 30 CYA (usePoolMath) in a sock and put it in front of the return to begin with and leave PH where it is.. your PH will rise as your running your pump constantly while your doing the SLAM Process..

Once you have the CYA in the water start your SLAM, hit it hard every 2 hours testing and adding liquid chlorine to your SLAM level FC/CYA Levels

DO not worry about anything except FC during the SLAM, once you have passed Overnight Chlorine Loss Test and your FC drops below 10 you will do another complete test and work on PH and TA :)

Reactions: Sagude2
Welcome to TFP :)

I would put 30 CYA (usePoolMath) in a sock and put it in front of the return to begin with and leave PH where it is.. your PH will rise as your running your pump constantly while your doing the SLAM Process..

Once you have the CYA in the water start your SLAM, hit it hard every 2 hours testing and adding liquid chlorine to your SLAM level FC/CYA Levels

DO not worry about anything except FC during the SLAM, once you have passed Overnight Chlorine Loss Test and your FC drops below 10 you will do another complete test and work on PH and TA :)
Appreciate the help!

Should I retest the CYA levels before adding LC to start SLAM or wait a certain amount of time after the CYA has been dissolved?

Hey Sagude and Welocme !!! How was the pool covered ? If it was no cover or a mesh cover, your off season rain diluted your CYA. I looked up Charlotte and you guys got 54 + inches of rain in each of the last 2 years. (2021 isn’t in yet)
E06BAB95-B3BD-4685-9607-8D68B5B1180A.jpeg

2/3 or more of said precipitation falls in the off season with July and August usually being pretty dry. So you probably got 3ft of free water exchange which is half or more of most pools. If you don’t cover with a tarp, or specifically the solid safety cover VS the mesh one, you will see a big drop in your chem levels each spring. :)

Reactions: Sagude2
Hey Sagude and Welocme !!! How was the pool covered ? If it was no cover or a mesh cover, your off season rain diluted your CYA. I looked up Charlotte and you guys got 54 + inches of rain in each of the last 2 years. (2021 isn’t in yet)
View attachment 330078

2/3 or more of said precipitation falls in the off season with July and August usually being pretty dry. So you probably got 3ft of free water exchange which is half or more of most pools. If you don’t cover with a tarp, or specifically the solid safety cover VS the mesh one, you will see a big drop in your chem levels each spring. :)

View attachment 330078

Thankfully they did have a solid safety cover which we cleaned off prior to removing. Other than having the safety cover, I'm not sure what all they did to winterize the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.