Ph issues

I’m having problems with PH And cannot get it to come up. On my Taylor test kit it stays at the bottom of the color chart what looks like to me a 7 or lower. Last summer I replaced the sand in my filter. After studying my issue every time I put soda ash in the pool it gets caught in the filter because I can see it when I back wash. at first I did as I always did and slowly put it in my skimmer. I even tried putting it in a bucket and completely mixed it in water then pouring it around the pool. i treat my pool with glandular chlorine and it completely Dissolves and does not get caught in my filter. Is there something else I could try to bring up my PH?

How are you chlorinating your pool? You using Trichlor tablets?

PH is usually something we can't get to stay down, but in some pools it's the opposite. Curious, what is your location? Your profile doesn't list a city/state, but sometimes local water sources can be the issue.

A couple other questions. Do you use any other products in the water other than TFP-recommended chemicals? Also, how old is the R-0014 reagent you are using to test the pH? If neither of those are an issue, then raising your TA might help in your scenario. The sand shouldn't be an issue. Try some baking soda and increase the TA to 70-80 to see if that helps let the pH rise. If that doesn't help in a day or two, you can take the TA up to 90. At the same time, you can aerate the water which should also help increase the pH.

PH is usually something we can't get to stay down, but in some pools it's the opposite. Curious, what is your location? Your profile doesn't list a city/state, but sometimes local water sources can be the issue.

A couple other questions. Do you use any other products in the water other than TFP-recommended chemicals? Also, how old is the R-0014 reagent you are using to test the pH? If neither of those are an issue, then raising your TA might help in your scenario. The sand shouldn't be an issue. Try some baking soda and increase the TA to 70-80 to see if that helps let the pH rise. If that doesn't help in a day or two, you can take the TA up to 90. At the same time, you can aerate the water which should also help increase the pH.
I do not use any other chemicals other than hypochlorite, soda ash, baking soda and stuff to raise the CYA. I live in Kings Mountain,NC and use well water. My R-0004 is out of date (2018). I am using soda ash from a different pool place. I don’t know if I bought a different kind if that would help?

Also I am going to ask a dumb question but how would I aerate the water?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
"G", I have a concern about your recent reply using R-0004. The R-0004 and R-0014 are not interchangeable and will give confusing results if not used with the proper tube/viewing block. Can you confirm which test kit you are using? Maybe post a picture of your test kit? That may be your problem.

Read this thread:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.