Summerfield, Fl
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Using a Taylor test kit for several years now for my inground 8700 gal. mercite SWG pool. The last few tests identified low PH readings (6.5-7.0). I like to keep PH between 7.2-7.8. Anyways test results suggest 46 oz. Soda ash to rebalance the PH. But adding just 8-16 oz. of Soda Ash causes the pool to turn milky white. I then need to add muriatic acid to clear the pool. So I’m confused and appreciate any ideas, guidance available. Other stats: FC=4.5, TA =80, CYA = 40, Salt =3200.
thanks in advance.
Rick

Can you advise how your pH is falling below 7 in the first place with TA at 80?
I don't see that you share pool logs, so understanding what you're adding to the pool is important.

Reggie…thanks for response. Usually after testing, I’m adding 9 oz. of acid to balance PH. At times I need to add Stabilizer for CYA. But typically it’s acid for PH and that’s it. Upon further investigation, I’m addressing the subject of aeration of the pool to naturally increase PH w/o chemicals. Ran the waterfalls most of today and water is clearing. PH reading this afternoon was 7.0. So heading in right direction. Alkalinity reading was 100. PH increaser seems to create a bit of havoc on not only PH but calcium levels which throws a wrench into the whole thing according to articles read. Will monitor accordingly and react. Thanks again

You are using chemistry adds that are not quite the best. Your call, but TFP would suggest this chemistry for adjustments........

Lower pH - use muriatic acid....TA also comes down
Raise pH - use borax.....it has little effect on TA.
Lower TA - acid and aeration method....see Pool School
Raise TA - use baking soda....it has little affect on pH

TFP is not a fan of dry acid,,,,,leaves sulphite residual in the pool

Thanks for your response but I am, and have been using muriatic acid to control PH when high, and soda ash when low. These readings are very recent which confused me. As I have not had this issue for the last 8 years. Now aware of water aeration and I’ve seen PH get back in bounds and water clarity has returned.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.