Pentair SWG Installation

sbcpool

Mar 10, 2015
Upland, CA
The installation instructions only have instructions for installing in a system with a pump timer, which is a bit ironic if you're using an Intelliflo. How does Pentair recommend installing in a system with an Intelliflo? I know I can use the flow switch to trigger it, but I don't want trouble with Pentair if there's trouble later on. I have to do it the way they recommend to avoid potential warranty issues.

Pentair wants you to use one of their automation systems to control the Inetlliflo and IntelliChlor

Or you use a timer like an Intermatic to control the IntelliChor and set it to run within the times set on the pump.

Pentair wants you to use one of their automation systems to control the Inetlliflo and IntelliChlor
Of course they do. That's a lot more money for them and no benefit for me. :)
Or you use a timer like an Intermatic to control the IntelliChor and set it to run within the times set on the pump.
I don't see how that helps since they'll just get out of sync with each other.

Run your IntelliFlo 24/7 at low rpms and it becomes a non-issue.

I'm not willing to do that when our electricity is $0.55/kWh. 25 GPM requires running the Intelliflo at about 1700 RPM, or ~300W. ~$50 a month at our rates, which vary by time of day.

Hmmm. I'm starting to remember why I didn't buy an Intellichlor before.

Last edited:
You can hack together a current sensor to sense when the pump turns on and connect it to a relay controlling the Intellichlor if you are the DIY type. There are some threads here where folks have done that.

Or since you are unhappy with Pentair solutions you can sell your IntelliFlo pump and get one of the new Jandy VS pumps that have a built in aux relay...
  • VS FloPro 1.85 HP 115V/230V with 2 Aux Relays
  • VS FloPro 2.7 HP 115V/230V with 2 Aux Relays
  • VS PlusHP 2.7 HP 115V/230V with 2 Aux Relays
  • VS ePump 2.2 HP 230V with 1 Aux Relay
  • VS ePump 2.7 HP 230V with 1 Aux Relay

How are the Jandys power-wise? I can move approximately 6,000 gallons/kWh with the Intelliflo at 1500 RPM. Although I am starting to doubt the flow rates reported by the pump. The other day I was filling the pool with the hose, which flows at a known ~7 GPM. When I stuck the hose into the skimmer box all flow from the pool stopped even though the Intelliflo was claiming 20 GPM.

I do a long, slow run time during the 10 hours our electricity is cheap.

It hadn't even occurred to me that the Pentair isn't going to work anyway. Since the flow switch is integrated into the unit there's no way to stop it from running while the system is in spa mode. Other system allow you to put the flow switch on the pool return to avoid that problem.

Unless you keep the spa on for more than 4 to 5 hours you are not going to over chlorinate the spa over SLAM FC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
SBC,

All SWCG's require two safety Devices.. The Primary safety device is that the power is removed when the pump is supposed to be off. The Secondary safety device is the flow switch. You need two safety devices because the cell can actually blow up if run without water. While it does not happen often, we have seen reports where the flow switch failed in the on position, and the cell blew up...

Thanks,

Jim R.

The IC60 generates about 37g chlorine per hour. In my spa that's 19 ppm per hour.

We are back to run your pump 24/7 with lower SWG % and your spa chlorination becomes less of an issue.

SBC,

All SWCG's require two safety Devices.. The Primary safety device is that the power is removed when the pump is supposed to be off. The Secondary safety device is the flow switch. You need two safety devices because the cell can actually blow up if run without water. While it does not happen often, we have seen reports where the flow switch failed in the on position, and the cell blew up...
Are there any that have two safety devices? There are an awful lot of pumps that are no longer controlled by timers. If I need to buy an automation system I don't want to be paying for a pump with built-in automation too.

I think a relay may be the best route in this case.

A Wifi relay is a good alternative to a mechanical timer. In the event of a power interruption, the switch will maintain the correct time and resume scheduled programs. Here is what I did, but there are lots of options.

Is that just a timer with WiFi ability? I don't know how to keep the clocks in sync between the Intelliflo and any kind of timer device. Even setting a large gap between on/off times makes me uncomfortable in cases like power outages, or daylight savings time changes that might not work correctly on one device.

I'm trying to shop for a relay to use as a secondary safety device, but my ignorance of relay terminology is limiting. I want something that is normally open with a switching current around 400 mA and a contact current rating of something like 5A (just to have a large margin of safety). Does that sound right?

I'm not real sure what your plan is, but the Sonoff switch linked in my budget automation thread will handle up to 10 amps and voltage from 100-240 watts. It simply installs inline between the power source and the cell power center/controller (two wires in/two wires out). There is no secondary power source needed to power the switch. The switch uses the Ewelink app for scheduling. If power goes out, the clock resets to the current time (just like your pump).

Last edited:
It's too many failure modes for my comfort. It introduces internet availability to the equation. Since this will be installed in the metal box that used to have my pump timer I'm guessing it won't be able to connect to WiFi when the door is shut since the box is a pretty good Faraday cage.

The relay will be just as easy to wire and is operated only by electricity flowing to the pump. My problem is being unable to tell if a given relay will throw the switch at 400 mA (~100W) and be able to handle up to 10A or so when the pump's running full bore.

Have a look at this. Even if you decide you don't need full blown automation, there may be some ideas on how to solve your dilemma in there. I am currently replacing a friend's old timers with this system it will control your Pentair pump over RS485 so there is no need to mess with the time clock on the pump and it will control a Pentair or Aquarite chlorinator. The protections are in place to ensure the pool or spa cycle is engaged before engaging the chlorinator and if failure occurs it will disengage the relay.

For your pool/spa you can control valve actuators to automatically switch between pool and spa modes and can have hundreds of schedules for each day of the week. It supports freeze protection should the air temperature fall below the freeze temperature for your area and will control Pentair lights and water features.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.