Pentair Sun Touch solar programming

rwrDick

Jun 7, 2019
Livermore, CA
I have the full Pentair set-up: Variable-speed pump, Sun Touch programmer, and valve actuator. My problem is that the valve actuator does not switch from the solar panels to bypass filtration-only when the set temperature is reached. (It used to work!). I've consulted the manual with no resolution. I've tried to get advice from Pentair with no luck. I've tried every combination of settings I can think of, again with no resolution. The valve actuator does function: it rotates when I change the toggle switch. Help from this community will be much appreciated!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

So the actuator is getting power and will turn either way ... so the problem is in the controller or programming.

Do you have the solar temperature sensor installed? Is it and the pool water sensor providing proper temperature readings?

Thanks TFP and Jim R. Yes, the valve actuator is getting power and works -- I can flip the toggle switch on the front and rotate the valve. The water and solar panel temperature sensors are also working, displaying believable values. So, it does look like some obscure setting in the Sun Tour controller is the problem. I have read the manual and tried everything I can think of. Any idea what the culprit might be?

In system control can you take SunTouch out of auto mode and manually switch solar on and off? If that doesn't work inspect the wire from the actuator for any damage.

Thank you Guinness. You put me on-track to solving the problem. I tried your first suggestion, switching the Sun Touch Controller service (14/14) from Auto to Service, then Time Out. No help. Since my Pentair Valve actuator is brand new, I did not think your second suggestion of checking the wire would pan out, but it did! I looked inside the Sun Tour controller, and all was well. I then looked inside the Valve Actuator, and that looked fine, too. Just to be sure, I pressed down on the wire connector, and heard a click. That solved the problem! Who would guess an assembly problem on a new actuator? Not me. However, it must have been a loose connection, that worked at first, but vibrated loose. Thanks very much for putting me on the right path to a solution!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.