Pentair Pump Suddenly Stopped Working

Kit

Bronze Supporter
Mar 10, 2016
Medford, Oregon
I have a Pentair Variable Speed Intelliflo pump that suddenly stop working. I tried to start the pump through the Pentair Easy Touch control panel as well as with the SpaSide buttons with no luck. Finally I switch the Easy Touch panel to Service mode so that I could start the pump directly from the pump itself. Still no luck. However, I did notice that the LCD screen on the pump was blank. This led me to believe that the pump was not getting power. But the circuit breaker in the Easy Touch panel had not been tripped. I even switched the breaker on & off, but that made no difference.

So, before I resort to calling out a tech for service, I wanted to see if any of you might offer any suggestions as to what might be the problem (such as an internal breaker in the pump itself). Thank you so much.

Kit,

The very first thing to check is the 240 VAC coming into the pump, right at the pump. Test between L1 and L2 and you should have about 240 Volts AC.. Do not test L1 to ground and L2 to ground, that can give a false reading..

If you have 240 VAC, then your pump has failed, or I should say the control head has failed.

If you do not have 240 VAC, then it could be the Pump/Filter relay, a bad circuit breaker inside the EasyTouch or maybe even the main breaker in the house panel..

Either your pump has failed, or you have lost one phase of your 240 volt input.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim: Following your suggestion, I am getting 240V to the pump. This raises a couple of questions:

1. If indeed the control head has failed, is this an easily replaced component or would it be best to call a service tech (at least to verify that the control head is the issue)?
2. If I am getting 240V to the pump, why is the LCD on the pump blank?

Thank you for your help.

Kit,

Could be the LCD is just bad, or the power supply that powers the LCD is bad.. or???

If this were my pump, and my only choice was to buy a new pump, or control head, I would open it up and see of I could find anything obvious.

I think you can buy just the LCD part, or the Control Head, that comes with the LCD, or a whole new pump and motor. The problem of course, is there is no way for sure to tell what is actually bad.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks, Jim. I think I will have a trusted Pentair tech take a look. Depending upon what he finds & recommends, I will make a decision. The pump was installed about 5 years ago, so I hope that there is a bit of service life left.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.