Pentair Pump Run Issues

seeitdifferent

Bronze Supporter
Hello,

We have Pentair EasyTouch (PL4 single body with Screenlogic) automation system which was just installed a couple months ago. We also have the Pentair iChlor salt generator (installed at the same time), and Pentair SuperFlo VS pump (342001, which we had prior to the the other two updates). The problem is that the pump is not always turning on when it is scheduled, the salt generator is not producing chlorine and are unsure of what is causing this. We have turned off power and turned it back on in an attempt to reset, but that does not seem to have worked.
Issues:
- Our salt cell keeps going to 0 output (it is programed at 45%)
- Pump is not running as scheduled

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Eric

I will leave it to @Jimrahbe to determine if you have a Lite version of the ET and explain why it only will handle 4 schedules regardless of how many you setup in ScreenLogic.

Show us a pic of your ET panel and showing the wiring inside.

Eric,

Show us a pic of the front panel of your EasyTouch. I want to make sure you actually have a PL4... That is a lite version of a real EasyTouch, and has a limited set of Schedules. Unfortunately, ScreenLogic will let you enter a billion schedules and won't tell you that only 4 of them will work.

Show me this set up page and your schedules.

The EasyTouch does not normally automatically set your cell's output. The iChlor can talk to the pump and when the pump is not running it will set its output to zero. The problem with that theory, is that if your cell were wired correctly, it would not have any power at all... I suspect that your Power Center is not wired through your Pump/Filter relay as required. Show me a pic of the inside of your EasyTouch showing all the relays.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Thank you ajw22,

We do not live at the property, but I will work to get you a photo as soon as I can. FYI - system had been running fine for many months. We recently had an island-wide power outage in Puerto Rico that lasted several days. I am wondering if that may have corrupted either the program schedule or the execution of the schedule? We have also experienced problems connecting through the app. We couldn't connect yesterday morning, but then later in the day we could? I understand that since we only have 4 relays that we can only control 4 functions. Typically we are only running two pump programs (one at medium or better speed and the second at a low speed) and the pool light.

Any thoughts on how to reset? Or things to try to institute proper communication between software and hardware?

Best,

Eric

Hello ajw22, and Jim R.

Thank you both for all your help!

Attached is a photo of our EasyTouch panel.

I should have added that we are doing a majority of the programming through the ScreenLogic app. We were able to connect this morning and according to the app the schedule is running, but we are not sure if the pump is actually on. This is where we have been running into problems (initial thread above). We were able to work with our guests, who helped us determine times the pump has not been running, but unfortunately they are checking out today. My wife will be at the property today if there are certain things we should try.

Best,

Eric

IMG_0084.jpeg

Eric,

Some thoughts... The fact that you only have 4 relays has nothing to do with only having the ability to schedule 4 run times. But, if you only have two schedules then that should not be an issue.

Yes, you have the lite version of the EasyTouch. It will work fine, you just need to understand the limitations.

If you can connect using ScreenLogic then you have the ability to provide the info that I requested above.

If you have someone at the property, I suggest that you have them push the "reset" button on the main panel. This is just like doing a re-boot on a PC, nothing will be erased. Tell them it can take a few minutes to come back up, so don't panic.

In your pic you are in the AUTO mode, but notice that you are not in the Pool or Spa mode. This means the pump will not run. You would normally always be in the Pool mode or Spa mode. The pump will not run unless there is a speed assigned for the Circuit that is on. This means that if you have a speed for the Pool and a speed for the Spa set up and neither is on, the then pump does not know what speed to run.

Please show me your two schedules with Screenshots from your PC or your phone. Or, just write them out here.

Also show me or tell me all the speeds that you have assigned to your system. This is what it looks like on my PC, but you should have the same info on your phone in a little different format.

Just so that we are all on the same page. If you are using your phone, you should have two apps.. ScreenLogic and SLConfig.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Guys,

Thanks for helping us troubleshoot this issue. My wife was just at the house. I am including a photo of inside the panel.

Regarding the age of our SuperFlo VS - it is two years old.

She also experienced the following:
- App shows the schedule is running, but the pump is not on
- She can turn the pump on from the panel
- The salt cell, at times appears to be correct and other times not. We did discuss if the pump is not running the salt cell will not be running.

There may be user error aspects to the findings between panel, app and equipment.

Do I still need the SL Config app?

Best

Eric

IMG_9709.jpeg

Eric, @seeitdifferent

Thanks for the pics...

The EasyTouch is made to control an IntelliFlo Pump, or a new SuperFlo VS, using the RS-485 com port. The older SuperFlo VS pumps do not have an RS-485 com port and can only be externally controlled by using discrete low voltage inputs. That is how your pump is being controlled.

You can look at the relays and see that there are only very small low voltage wires attached to the Pump/Filter relay as well as Aux 2 and 3 relays.

Instead of the speeds being stored in the EasyTouch, they are stored in the pump itself. You set the speeds you want in the pump and when one of the relays comes on, it tells the pump to run that speed.

See page 6, Figure 6A in this manual... https://www.pentair.com/content/dam...-pumps/superflovs/supervs-install-english.pdf

When the Pump/Filter relay turns on it tells the pump to run speed #1
When the Aux 2 relay turns on it tells the pump to run speed #2
When the Aux 2 relay turns on it tells the pump to run speed #3

This means that you do not need SLConfig to set the "EasyTouch" internal speeds, but I'd download it anyway as it does more stuff than just the ScreenLogic app does. Up to you..

Not sure how long your wife will be there, but if for a day or so, have her monitor the pump and see if it is running when it should be.

I don't have any direct experience with the SuperFlo VS, so not sure if it will automatically restart after being off for several days or not. You might have to push a button on the pump.

There is no way for you to know if the pump is running or not using ScreenLogic. The EasyTouch just tells the pump what to do, but there is not feedback from the pump that shows it is running at all.

As I thought, your SWCG's transformer is not wired into the pump/filter relay as it should be. This means when the pump shuts off the SWCG stays on. Because you have an IChlor and not the IntelliChlor SWCG, it is not a major issue. But it is why the SWCG's output drops to zero when the pump is not running.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.