Pentair MasterTemp 400: ERR IGN

Celriot1spam

Jul 18, 2022
NY
Heater installed last fall, trying to turn it on for the first time this season. I have been googling error messages like crazy so I'm just going to tell you everything as much of it seems to be user error as I learn how to use it.

Heater starts off with ERR PS, have to turn up my pump to get the pressure high enough. After that, ERR AFS. I feel the fan going on a very low RPM... and it takes a good 5-10 minutes to ramp up and make this error go away. Not sure why it takes so long but it does so on its own (normal?).

After that I get ERR IGN. The heating light will flash, I'll hear it trying to fire up 3 times (light temporarily goes solid before flashing again). I have two gas valves, one at heater and one at meter, and both are open. I attached a picture of what I think is making the noise when it tries to light... that thing on the bottom right looks cock-eyed to me but I know better than to touch something with multiple DANGER stickers lol.

One single time ERR IGN changed to ERR AGS, which was stuck until I power cycled per Google instructions.

Is there anything I can do or look at before making a service call?

Attachments

• PXL_20230523_201949408.jpg
    PXL_20230523_201949408.jpg
    416 KB · Views: 13
Is the switch next to the gas valve in the ON position?

You can try and straighten the wires that go into the gas valve.

Did the heater work last fall when installed?

Is it under warranty?

Heater installed last fall, trying to turn it on for the first time this season. I have been googling error messages like crazy so I'm just going to tell you everything as much of it seems to be user error as I learn how to use it.

Heater starts off with ERR PS, have to turn up my pump to get the pressure high enough. After that, ERR AFS. I feel the fan going on a very low RPM... and it takes a good 5-10 minutes to ramp up and make this error go away. Not sure why it takes so long but it does so on its own (normal?).

After that I get ERR IGN. The heating light will flash, I'll hear it trying to fire up 3 times (light temporarily goes solid before flashing again). I have two gas valves, one at heater and one at meter, and both are open. I attached a picture of what I think is making the noise when it tries to light... that thing on the bottom right looks cock-eyed to me but I know better than to touch something with multiple DANGER stickers lol.

One single time ERR IGN changed to ERR AGS, which was stuck until I power cycled per Google instructions.

Is there anything I can do or look at before making a service call?
Orientation of the main gas valve doesn't matter. Probably moved a bit when the inlet plumbing was installed. It does look like that valve is turned "off." See it at least 3 times a year. Don't know why people turn those off.

full

FWIW, I had a heater problem after almost four years. First use in about five months late last fall. With my other Pentair equipment, the VS pump automatically increases to the minimum heater speed. I hear a rush and fan sound, and then it shut off with the service light. Several tries and I asked the guy who was here fixing my IC40 SWCG about the heater. He tried it and said, "You've got rats nesting inside. I can smell the feces. They've probably chewed the igniter." He was only here for the IC40 warranty and had not time to look at the heater. After he left, I took it apart and sure enough, the interior was filled with twigs, grass, and stunk to high heaven. I cleaned it out, bought a screen kit for my Mastertemp 400 and installed it. Then I called the service people again. No point getting it fixed and leaving it open to new nests, eh? Replacement igniter, and it's been working since.

Orientation of the main gas valve doesn't matter. Probably moved a bit when the inlet plumbing was installed. It does look like that valve is turned "off." See it at least 3 times a year. Don't know why people turn those off.
Sorry, what are you referring to in the picture that looks "off"? The switch is ON, I don't know what valve you are looking at?

Is the switch next to the gas valve in the ON position?

You can try and straighten the wires that go into the gas valve.

Did the heater work last fall when installed?

Is it under warranty?
Yes the switch is ON. It was not tested last fall because I had to wait for town pressure tests/inspections. This is the first time it has been tried. Should still be under warranty since it's been ~6 months.

Then start with confirming the voltage plug matches the actual voltage it was wired to.

Really you should not do this yourself but call back the installer to fix his work under warranty if it has never worked.

Then start with confirming the voltage plug matches the actual voltage it was wired to.

Really you should not do this yourself but call back the installer to fix his work under warranty if it has never worked.

It was exactly what you (and JamesW) said. They came and showed me with a voltage meter the 120 reading when it was supposed to be 240. Switched it around and things fired right up. Definitely not something I could have done comfortably myself.

We're cranking away now, thanks all!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.