Pentair Mastertemp 400 cycling, no lights/error codes

Kbess1107

Dec 21, 2022
Houston
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Hi,
I have read many post from this and other forums to try to fix my heater. I have had it since 2016 and it has been troublefree until rodents found it earlier in the year. I've tried to test a lot of things but I have run out of things to do so I hope that the details below may help provide some clue as to what to do next. I am sorry if this is too long for a 1st post, but wanted to be as clear as possible and anticipate questions from similar questions on this site. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

-Bob
-------------------

Pentair Mastertemp 400, Natural Gas, made/installed in 2016. Replaced a previous Hayward unit that lasted >10 years. There were no changes in gas line when this was replace. Pool is ~30,000 gallons with built-in spa, chlorine.

Here is what is going on:

Start up:

1. Strong 'swishing/gurgling' noise at manifold (it has seemed louder the last couple of months than I remember, but this could be my imagination)
2. DE Filter pressure seems normal (~20psi)
3. Normal Heater startup:
a.128 is displayed initially, then
b. r13 (for board/sw version)
c. Manual water temp (up/down arrows) is set for 100
d. 'Svc Heater' red light for a second,
e. Blower starts
4. After about 30 seconds from power on:
a. Buzz (not a click) of gas valve and then heater operates ("whoosh")
b. Hot air coming from flue
c. Heater appears to operate normally for about 3-3.5 minutes
d. Water entering the hot tub through return jets is warmer than ambient water in the hot tub
e. Flue Exhaust temp (hold 'Spa On' for 5 sec) gets to ~300
f. Then shuts off, 'Heating' light changes from steady to flashing for about 30 sec, (red service heater light does not light)
g. The heater starts up again and runs for about 30 seconds (from buzz of gas valve to stopping of flame)
h. Repeats cycle over and over
Note: The time to shut off after the restart gets shorter as time goes on making me think it is something temp or temp sensor related. As such, the flue exhaust temp doesnt get much above 200 before it recycles.

Observations:
No Error codes on display, ever
No red Service Heater light at any time during recycle
No LEDs on Fenwal* (see below)
No LEDs lit under control board
But just in case, I shorted wire leads to PS, AFS, HLS and AGS and there was no change in behavior.

Removed lower bolt on water manifold, no water at all came out.
Removed ignitor, visual inspection looked good so put back in.

Replaced:
-Stack Flue Sensor (just because I had new one)
-Manifold bypass valve (old one looked fine; replaced because I had one). ports to heat exchanger are in very good shape, no signs of calcium/scale buildup.
-Removed thermal regulator (thermostat) from manifold and ran: without change in behavior
-Also tested regulator with hot water in kitchen sink and it opened

*This did start with a short cycle (start for a few seconds but then shut down after it tried to ignite) and Fenwal LED flashing 3 times. I read this was ignition lockout likely due to not detecting a flame so I did the commonly suggested fix to run a ground wire from the fenwal yellow wire chassis ground to 1 of the nuts holding the ignitor in. This solved the very short cycle problem which then led me to this longer cycle (works for the 1st 3 minutes, then cycles on/off at about 30 sec intervals for a while and eventually give up with red Service heater light)

The reason I had a spare Stack flue sensor is due to rodent damage earlier in the year. Got the E05 error code a while back, rodent chewed through stack flue sensor wires. Replaced it, worked fine, then rodent did it again a few weeks later.. So I ordered a couple sensors to be ready. There is a strong smell of rodent urine in the unit.
I checked every wire, tube etc for any signs of damage but nothing obvious EXCEPT that there is a hole in the top of the combustion chamber right next to the ignitor. It looks like it corroded through (maybe rat urine did it?) and at night I can see the glow of the ignitor if I take the top off of the unit.

I've run out of things to check.

Changing the control board seems like the next option, but that is $400-$500 so dont want to part swap without having good reason (or no alternative except to buy a new unit for $4000.

Again, sorry for a long post and thanks for any insight you can provide.

Does the water temperature on the display change at all?

Can you show a video of the start up and run to shutdown?

Can you show the whole system?

Hi, and thanks for your response.
The temperature display does change during this. It slowly increases. When it starts out it seems about right regarding pool water temp but due to the cycling it doesnt increase much. I will post pictures and a video asap. It's not very exciting as it looks normal then stops, Heating LED flashes and flame stops, then start up again. But happy to post that if it helps. thanks

Let's see of @JamesW sees anything but I would not throw much more money into the heater. I think the rodents and their urine has trashed it.

The new MasterTemp heaters have different venting and are supposed to be more rodent proof. And consider adding...

The temperature display does change during this. It slowly increases.
400,00 btu x 0.84 = 336,000 btu added to 30,000 gallons ( 250,200 lbs) is 1.34 degrees per hour.

If you are seeing the water temperature increase several degrees in a few minutes, you probably have heated water backing up into the inlet.

Do you have an external bypass?

I checked every wire, tube etc for any signs of damage but nothing obvious EXCEPT that there is a hole in the top of the combustion chamber right next to the ignitor. It looks like it corroded through (maybe rat urine did it?) and at night I can see the glow of the ignitor if I take the top off of the unit.
The combustion chamber has to be 100% sealed and the hole means that it is compromised.

You should not use the heater with a compromised combustion chamber.

You probably need a new combustion chamber.

Let’s see some pictures of everything (Heater and System) so that we can do a visual inspection.

Last edited:
400,00 btu x 0.84 = 336,000 btu added to 30,000 gallons ( 250,200 lbs) is 1.34 degrees per hour.

If you are seeing the water temperature increase several degrees in a few minutes, you probably have heated water backing up into the inlet.

The combustion chamber has to be 100% sealed and the hole means that it is compromised.

You should not use the heater with a compromised combustion chamber.

You probably need a new combustion chamber.

Let’s see some pictures of everything (Heater and System) so that we can do a visual inspection.
Here are some stills, a little hard to see at night but hopefully helps a little.
The reddish one shows the glow of the igniter through the breached combustion chamber. I know that isnt good, but since the exhaust to the flue is near by it doesnt seem like that it would contribute to the operating problem (I'm not excited about the CO buildup potentially in the unit but maybe that will kill the rats.. :) )

There have been no recent changes to the pool system, it was built in 2005 and the pump/motor and filter have been replaced in the last several years. The heater was working fine 2 weekends ago and then last weekend we turned it on from the indoor remote and were surprised when we went to go in and the water was cold. I've been troubleshooting since then.
I am just trying to heat the spa (seats ~6 adults in a circle), not the whole pool.

Also two videos are found here. one is the initial startup sequence, then instead of waiting for 3 minutes, I started a new one just before it shutdown for the first time.

thank you

Attachments

• 20221220_232346.jpg
    20221220_232346.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20221221_071500.jpg
    20221221_071500.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20221221_183408.jpg
    20221221_183408.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20221221_205940.jpg
    20221221_205940.jpg
    408 KB · Views: 12
The only time I get the red Service Heater light is if I leave the unit on and let it cycle for 15-20 minutes. During that time it will run for ~30 seconds seemingly normal. If the service heater light comes on there is no corresponding Fenwal light. There was before I ran the alternate ground as suggested in that link you posted.

Note: there is no external bypass. Inlet comes right from the multiport valve, outlet of heater goes to Jandy valve that is automatically set for Spa/Pool when "spa" is selected on remote or on Intellitouch panel.

The heater is not safe to operate.

You should shut it down and turn off the gas and the power.

I would replace the heater.
:(. The easiest unit swap would be another Mastertemp 400 as all the connections are in the right spot. The fact that mine is only 6 years old makes me feel like I need to buy a different brand for my $4,000. Or is this Mastertemp considered one of the better units and I should chalk this up to crazed rodents and not blame Pentair for making a problem-ridden unit?

Reactions: Jejunum

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Replace it with another MasterTemp. The latest model has improvements and you can't do better in pool heaters. Blame your early failure on the rodents.

thanks.
I am in the Houston area and am actively trying to source a Mastertemp 400 today. My kids love being in the hot tub at Christmas.... No luck yet and there is a big freeze coming tonight so we will see if I can find a dealer that has one (vs ordering it and it taking until after Christmas). Any suggestions from Houston locals as to where to call would be great.

For completeness (and in case some other forum member has a similar predicament some day), I was playing around with this thing a little more as it would be somewhat fulfilling to figure out what is causing the recycle issue before I replace it due to the combustion chamber breach. As described in the Heater Flame Sensing link JamesW provided, I double checked both insulated wires going to the igniter and while the extra insulation near the igniter is partially missing, the wires themselves look intact. I then used a standard multimeter and measured VDC at FC+ and FC- ports.

The water temp started at 56deg and when I started the unit the reading between FC+/- jumped up to 2.3VD and steadily climbed to 4.1VDC. The unit kept running as the voltage slowly decreased to ~0.5VDC and the sensed water temp was 68deg. It has run continuously for over 15 minutes! It has not done that throughout all this troubleshooting. After 20 minutes of running, I came inside to type this and when I went back outside 10 minutes later, it had shut down with a Service Heater red light (no error codes or lit LEDs on back of board, nor any LED light on Fenwal) [i have a video of the 1st 15 minutes of this which I can upload if helpful but thought it would be more insightful to upload the subsequent operations as they were more likely to fail more quickly.

I started it up again (video link attached) , and the fenwal voltage went to ~2VDC and stayed there, after about a minute (1:09 on video), the voltage fell to ~0.6VDC and ran another couple minutes until it shutoff (at 2:49) with flashing Heating light and no other fault indications. After this is cycled repeatedly but only for a couple seconds like it was back to the flame sensing fault i originally started with. After several times, it gave up with a red Service Heater light but no other codes/LEDs on display, control board or Fenwal.

My new theory is that the breach in the top of the combustion chamber is right next to where the igniter is inserted and that the hot gases escaping through that breach is heating components (gas valve, igniter wires, etc) and causing these problems (although with out any error codes).
Perhaps sealing the breach and replacing the igniter would be the solution?

So no changes since last night except touching the igniter wires and connecting meter to FC +/- pins.

(this link is still uploading to Youtube as I post this so please give it a few minutes if you look at this immediately and link isnt yet working.)

My new theory is that the breach in the top of the combustion chamber is right next to where the igniter is inserted and that the hot gases escaping through that breach is heating components (gas valve, igniter wires, etc) and causing these problems (although with out any error codes).

The MasterTemp carries the small flame sensing current through the heater structure. The heater structure is compromised and has corrosion from the rodent urine. As the heater metal warms the resistance in various connections the flame sensing current flows through increases. To fix this you would need to completely disassemble the heater frames and clean all of the metal of corrosion.

Your combustion chamber hole is indicative of how much corrosion is internal in the heater.

We have seen this problem on other MasterTemp heaters trashed by rodent urine.

thanks.
I am in the Houston area and am actively trying to source a Mastertemp 400 today. My kids love being in the hot tub at Christmas.... No luck yet and there is a big freeze coming tonight so we will see if I can find a dealer that has one (vs ordering it and it taking until after Christmas). Any suggestions from Houston locals as to where to call would be great.

For completeness (and in case some other forum member has a similar predicament some day), I was playing around with this thing a little more as it would be somewhat fulfilling to figure out what is causing the recycle issue before I replace it due to the combustion chamber breach. As described in the Heater Flame Sensing link JamesW provided, I double checked both insulated wires going to the igniter and while the extra insulation near the igniter is partially missing, the wires themselves look intact. I then used a standard multimeter and measured VDC at FC+ and FC- ports.

The water temp started at 56deg and when I started the unit the reading between FC+/- jumped up to 2.3VD and steadily climbed to 4.1VDC. The unit kept running as the voltage slowly decreased to ~0.5VDC and the sensed water temp was 68deg. It has run continuously for over 15 minutes! It has not done that throughout all this troubleshooting. After 20 minutes of running, I came inside to type this and when I went back outside 10 minutes later, it had shut down with a Service Heater red light (no error codes or lit LEDs on back of board, nor any LED light on Fenwal) [i have a video of the 1st 15 minutes of this which I can upload if helpful but thought it would be more insightful to upload the subsequent operations as they were more likely to fail more quickly.

I started it up again (video link attached) , and the fenwal voltage went to ~2VDC and stayed there, after about a minute (1:09 on video), the voltage fell to ~0.6VDC and ran another couple minutes until it shutoff (at 2:49) with flashing Heating light and no other fault indications. After this is cycled repeatedly but only for a couple seconds like it was back to the flame sensing fault i originally started with. After several times, it gave up with a red Service Heater light but no other codes/LEDs on display, control board or Fenwal.

So no changes since last night except touching the igniter wires and connecting meter to FC +/- pins.

(this link is still uploading to Youtube as I post this so please give it a few minutes if you look at this immediately and link isnt yet working.)
For the safety of your family and your property, please, do not use that heater with the hole in the combustion chamber. The internal temperature of that box can reach as high as 2000f. The combustion chamber is pressurized from the fan and the amount of heat that can exit a hole that size could easily catch the entire heater on fire. You also don't know how compromised the rest of the firebox is.

The lid and combustion chamber are available as separate items to do a repair. With gaskets, O rings, sealant, etc. the parts are around $1200.00. Tearing one of those heaters down is a lot of work and the re-assembly needs to be very carefully done. There may be more heat damage to the components that you are unaware of until you try to get it to work again. Not sure if that hole is the result of rodents or condensation, but at this point a new heater seems the best option.

Reactions: JamesW
Thank you to all for your generous and sage advice. I found a new Mastertemp 400 locally and installed it this afternoon.
Just in time for a record freeze here in Houston.
It works great so far and I appreciate the advice/warnings to replace it.

thx!

Thank you to all for your generous and sage advice. I found a new Mastertemp 400 locally and installed it this afternoon.
Just in time for a record freeze here in Houston.
It works great so far and I appreciate the advice/warnings to replace it.

thx!
Quick work! Well done.

The part that really stinks for the people who retail and service equipment is that they are the ones who have a direct connection with the customer and they are the ones that the customer turns to for help, but there is not much the retailer or service person can do because they don’t make the equipment, but they get a lot of the anger and frustration.

The manufacturers are just faceless corporate entities hiding behind a mountain of phone trees, emails and endless ways to run you in circles until you’re practically dead from exhaustion.

The typical formula for manufacturers to use is the product will increase in price by 20% per year and decrease in lifetime and quality by 20% per year.

Part of the problem is that giant multinational companies buy up all of the well known brand names with a good reputation for quality and they immediately cut quality to cut costs and increase sales because you sell twice as many when they last half as long.

It’s a Win-Win for the company and a Lose-Lose-Lose for the customers and retailers.

For example GE Appliances, based in Louisville, Kentucky has been majority owned by Chinese multinational home appliances company Haier since 2016.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.