Pentair Intelliflo VSP for non automation?

Feb 18, 2014
Houston, TX
I moved and am in the process of building a new pool.

So, my pool builder initially suggested the Intelliflo VSP (I will confirm HP) for our 18K pool with heater as our DE filter pump. I think the model is quite good but is it really necessary since I am not getting the automation (I prefer mechanical timers). Should I stick with that model?

C,

The IntelliFlo is the gold standard for pool pumps. It works best with an automation system, but it will work just fine with as a standalone pump. It has its own internal timers and if for some reason you do not want to use them, you can still use a mechanical timer. (Stupid to do, but can be done.)

In my case I run my IntelliFlo 24/7, mostly at 1200 RPM, for less than $20 bucks a month. My pump is about 8 years old and the newer ones are even more efficient. When the pump was new, I would often have to go over and touch it to make sure it was still running, it is that quiet!

Thanks,

Jim R.

Most VSPs are designed to get continuous power and to be controlled by their electronic control panel.

When power is constantly cycled using a mechanical timer with a VSP its electronic controls can become glitchy.

If you are getting a VSP I would use it the way it was designed with its electronic controls.

I like my IntelliFlo VSF pump and used it for 2 years in standalone mode with its control panel before I upgraded my automation so it could control the IntelliFlo pump.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thank you both for your responses. I have to admit that I am not familiar with a vsp since I have never had one. So, I will ensure there is no timer on the intelliflo pump.

How about my booster pump? Can I tie that into the intelliflo controls somehow?

ajw22, what exactly does upgrading your automation entail for remote control of the pump, heater, and booster?

what exactly does upgrading your automation entail for remote control of the pump, heater, and booster?
C,

About $2K... :(

Unless you have a Spa and Pool, then automation is not really needed... Fun to have, but not really "needed".

The standard IntelliFlo cannot control your booster, but they have come out with the IntelliFlo3, which has an option for a control relay that can control your booster.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,
Brother thank you so much. I will look into the IntelliFlo3 if I end up with a booster pump. I might just stick with the dolphin that I use to have but it always had issues the warranty ended. I have to change the bearing out 2x, but it was never 100%.

How do you intend to chlorinate your non-SWG pool in Houston?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Reactions: consoleman
That's a good question, I don't know if the app has a local connection option. However you could put the InteliiConnect into service mode and then control the Intelliflo directly from the pumps control panel.

Allen,
Having a intelliconnect, If you ever lost internet and had did not have access to the internet. Could you still turn your pump on (to drain) your pool manually and without the intelliconnect app?
As @guinness said you can always control the IntelliFlo pump from its own control panel.

C,

It appears to me that you can control the IntelliFlo3 from the Pentair home app.

This is a new to us pump, so we have not seen any detailed feedback on how it operates yet.

Thanks,

Jim R.

C,

I looked at this pump's manual and I am impressed.

Check out this video,

You can control this pump via RS-485, or by your house Wi-Fi and the Pentair home app. It has two relays to control two external devices.

It is a cross between the XF pump and the old IntelliFlo pump. At this point, this is the pump I will be looking at when my current pump bites the dust. Which could be a long time, as I now have an original style IntelliFlo. :mrgreen:

Jim R.

If you're planning on getting a heater then the IntelliConnect would be a better option over the IntelliFlo3 w/ I/O board.

Below are the wiring diagrams for both and aside from the relays you would need the fireman's switch and temp sensor.

intelliconnect-png.424231

IF3_con.png
You would still need an Intelliflo pump as the new Superflo/Whisperflo VST pumps aren't compatible with the IntelliConnect.

Last edited:
Reactions: consoleman
If you're planning on getting a heater then the IntelliConnect would be a better option over the IntelliFlo3 w/ I/O board.

Below are the wiring diagrams for both and aside from the relays you would need the fireman's switch and temp sensor.

intelliconnect-png.424231

You would still need an Intelliflo pump as the new Superflo/Whisperflo VST pumps aren't compatible with the IntelliConnect.

Guinness,
I do plan on getting a heater, but I doubt the Intelliflo3 will be in stock anyways. I may end up going the intelliconnect if the pump is indeed out of stock. I'm not looking for automation so much as the ability to program the pump using an app. What is a fireman's switch?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.