Pentair IntelliCenter Pool Control Dashboard Instructional Guide

Home assistant looks really nice. Does the MQTT broker run on the Raspi or on a separate computer?

Don't write off the raspberry pi zero w. A lot of power in a little package. The only extra bit needed is a USB-OTG cable.

I have 2 RPis. One to run home assistant with the Mosquito MQTT broker & the other to run nodejs-poolController which relays messages via MQTT to the home assistant pi.

there is sooo much info in this thread. It’s amazing. Question: i didn’t see any pictures of how people have physically installed their rpis outdoors. Would someone mind posting some pics?

If there were some, I’m sorry I missed them

@boojew
Best guess, is about 1/2 the IntelliCenter, *Touch or homebrew (no control panel) users let their njspC/dashPanel Raspberry Pi's live indoors. I do that as well and just run my RS-485 conductors via Cat-5 out to the equipment pad and the outdoor control panel.
Here are some of my Raspberry Pi's that I allow to live indoors (3 out of 4 of these Pi's are actually pool control related :rolleyes:). Yup, I've lost my mind.
24C879CA-3522-4C34-AB0D-F653AEB78A5D_1_105_c.jpeg

The IntelliCenter and *touch users that let their RPi live outdoors typically find a suitable nesting area for their njspC/dashPanel RPi in the Outdoor Control Panel Low Voltage area.

The homebrew users typically find an outdoor enclosure to mount their RPi in something like this (although this is not where my njspC/dashPanel RPi lives).
9E1B19D1-5048-4188-863B-BAB978E2A981_1_105_c.jpeg
Thanks @rstrouse , In hindsight, I kinda wish I had waited for you to go first, coz you did some things with your enclosure that I am a tad bit jealous about :poke: (fans, fan control, monitor panel etc).
Yup, he really did his up nice!

Here are some additional links of threads here where users mounted their Raspberry Pi's outdoors.

r.

Last edited:
Using a pi zero W you can pretty much stick it anywhere you want!

mine is nestled in the low voltage area of my easy touch right next to the com port extension board.

The power cable runs out the gasket on the bottom left to the gfi outlet where it is plugged in.

I have thought about internalizing the 5v wall brick but occasionally a hard reset is in order and easy access to the power cord helps facilitate that.
20210510_104037.jpg

Ok so here's how I did it but it really is to the extreme. Ron was my inspiration on this. You can run a 2 wire RS485 cable just short of a 1/4 mile if you need to and put it where it makes sense.
View attachment 340659
:-/

Wow.. that is an impressive looking setup. Here I was just wondering if people were using an outdoor enclosure (fans?), running it back to the house/shed, etc..

Thanks for this!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have both of my RPis inside the house. I use the Elfin EW11a RS485-to-WiFi converter to get my EasyTouch system to talk to the RPi running nodeJS-poolController over WiFi. The $20 EW11a seemed like the easy solution compared to running a cable from the house to the equipment pad, or installing the RPi inside the EasyTouch enclosure, or using the Pentair protocol adaptor/ScreenLogic.

@MyAZPool @rstrouse Really!? Here, I was all excited that I drilled a hole in my RPi case and wired up an LED power switch. I even zip tied my cables under my desk.

Meanwhile, you two have put NORAD to shame!

Nicely done.
:laughblue:
Maybe if NORAD has a swimming pool, then their Pool Monitoring System looks something like this. :p
Many thanks to @tagyoureit for working with me to get past some InfluxDB issues many months ago and dev'ing the initial Grafana templates. :goodjob:
2021-06-03_16-24-43.jpg

Reactions: jonpcar
Okay fellas - asking for some help here. I made the mistake of pulling updates and now the controller won't start. Here's what I get:

pi@PoolController:~/nodejs-poolController $ sudo npm start

> [email protected] start /home/pi/nodejs-poolController
> npm run build && node dist/app.js

> [email protected] build /home/pi/nodejs-poolController
> tsc

web/Server.ts:23:21 - error TS2305: Module '"../node_modules/@types/socket.io"' has no exported member 'RemoteSocket'.

23 import { Namespace, RemoteSocket, Server as SocketIoServer, Socket } from "socket.io";
~~~~~~~~~~~~

web/Server.ts:242:24 - error TS2315: Type 'Server' is not generic.

242 public sockServer: SocketIoServer<ClientToServerEvents, ServerToClientEvents>;
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

web/Server.ts:265:31 - error TS2693: 'SocketIoServer' only refers to a type, but is being used as a value here.

265 this.sockServer = new SocketIoServer(this.server, options);
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

web/interfaces/influxInterface.ts:19:52 - error TS2305: Module '"../../node_modules/@influxdata/influxdb-client/dist"' has no exported member 'WritePrecisionType'.

19 import { ClientOptions, InfluxDB, Point, WriteApi, WritePrecisionType } from '@influxdata/influxdb-client';
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Found 4 errors.

npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
npm ERR! errno 2
npm ERR! [email protected] build: `tsc`
npm ERR! Exit status 2
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Failed at the [email protected] build script.
npm ERR! This is probably not a problem with npm. There is likely additional logging output above.

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR! /root/.npm/_logs/2021-06-10T00_53_30_119Z-debug.log
npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
npm ERR! errno 2
npm ERR! [email protected] start: `npm run build && node dist/app.js`
npm ERR! Exit status 2
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Failed at the [email protected] start script.
npm ERR! This is probably not a problem with npm. There is likely additional logging output above.

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR! /root/.npm/_logs/2021-06-10T00_53_30_241Z-debug.log

Any ideas as to where to start?

I have the ScreenLogic Protocol Adapter inside my home hardwired to Intellitouch.
Can the same cable be used to connect a Pi to the Comm Port in Intellitouch? I mean, connecting an USB to RS-485 adapter to the Pi and the cables then to the connector on the Protocol Adapter.
With that the same cable will carry both RS-485 signals from the ScreenLogic and Pi.

Pi -> USB -> RS-485 -> Connector on ScreenLogic Protocol Adapter -> cable to Comm port on Intellitouch.

Hi all,

I'm running into an odd issue I'm hoping someone can help me with. When I connect to dashPanel it immediately reports a connection error, but I can still use all the buttons and make changes to settings with no problems. I've tried restarting my Pi and reinstalling it but no luck. I've set my system up in docker containers and I'm wondering if that may be playing some part in this. (NJPC and dashPanel are each running in their own container)

From what I can see in the various logs it appears there may some kind of heartbeat/check-in that is failing to connect from the webpage back to the NJPC server, causing it to think there's a connection error when there isn't really.
Any ideas of suggestions on how to fix this issue would be much appreciated. As I said I can still use it, but this is a bit of an annoyance

dashPanel Connection Error:
1624139680386.png
Web Console errors:
1624140262412.png

NJPC Logs:
1624140132727.png

dashPanel Logs:
1624140167687.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.