Pentair Hybrid Heat Pump/Gas Combo Heater App/Remote option?

HBFarrells

Aug 14, 2022
SoCal
Hi all, we just installed a Pentair Ultratemp hybrid heat pump/gas combo heater for our existing inground pool. We have solar so we decided to do the hybrid unit to have the option to use gas or electric plus we live in SoCal so no worries with temps.

The pool builder is giving me the option to add remote access with a mobile app to turn the heater on and off, etc. He quoted me over 3K for an aqua link system. It just seems really costly just for mobile access. I’m not asking for automation system. I just want a remote app so I can check on the temperature from my phone and be able to turn it off and on.

Does anyone have the system and use a remote app? The pool builder said that Pentair does not have a system that works with a hybrid so he’s trying to sell me on the aqua link system, which is by Jandy. Our pool pump is a Hayward with our Pentair heater? I looked into the Pentair IntelliCenter? So I’m not sure why he is pushing the aqua link system. I’m sure he’s pretty knowledgeable but I also don’t want to keep over paying for everything.

Any other inexpensive options that anyone has used before I fork over extra money for the system he is recommending? Thanks

I just want a remote app so I can check on the temperature from my phone and be able to turn it off and on.

You can do that with a Sonoff control. @Rancho Cost-a-Lotta said:

This Sonoff switch is designed to monitor temps and switch a device (like a heater) using the eWelink app. The Temp Probe can be mounted in a thermowell plumbed into the pool plumbing...

20220402_133517-jpg.411581

he’s trying to sell me on the aqua link system, which is by Jandy. Our pool pump is a Hayward with our Pentair heater?
Mixing equipment like this is incredibly idiotic and stupid.

It will never work correctly and the manufacturers will just point the finger at each other.

You want the IntelliCenter to adjust the pump speed during call for heat and to reduce the pump speed when not heating.

Reactions: HBFarrells
Thank you. Everything is already installed to an existing pool with a relatively newer Hayward pump. Contractor didn’t mention needing to replace pump? Do people not mix different brands all the time? I didn’t realize this was recommended but I will mention it to contractor?

Do people not mix different brands all the time?
No, generally people do not as none of the different manufacturers work together in any sort of intelligent way. One exception would be for non-smart equipment like a filter. It has one job and is not a smart device in any way. If you wanted to remotely monitor it's pressure, you would add an external sensor anyway, nothing to do with the way it was built or designed to function.

I know pool equipment may seem simple but think of it this way...any smart piece of equipment (i.e. a variable speed pump) built by a given manufacturer is designed to only communicate in that companies chosen "language". Imagine trying to put a power window module from a Chevy into a Mercedes and expect them to talk. Not ever going to happen natively. Someone one day might decide to crack the codes and make an interface to do that job but chances are slim. Same with any other "smart" devices out there, including the pool world. If you want them to work all together best stick with the same brand if you want it to work at all (with some exceptions not in this scope). On a positive note, more and more people are getting fed up with the high cost of pre-engineered automation costs (i.e. intellicenter and the like) and designing their own systems but that is still very much in its infancy stages and requires much time, research, failures and corrections, etc. Not for the average Joe in any way.

Reactions: HBFarrells
No, generally people do not as none of the different manufacturers work together in any sort of intelligent way. One exception would be for non-smart equipment like a filter. It has one job and is not a smart device in any way. If you wanted to remotely monitor it's pressure, you would add an external sensor anyway, nothing to do with the way it was built or designed to function.

I know pool equipment may seem simple but think of it this way...any smart piece of equipment (i.e. a variable speed pump) built by a given manufacturer is designed to only communicate in that companies chosen "language". Imagine trying to put a power window module from a Chevy into a Mercedes and expect them to talk. Not ever going to happen natively. Someone one day might decide to crack the codes and make an interface to do that job but chances are slim. Same with any other "smart" devices out there, including the pool world. If you want them to work all together best stick with the same brand if you want it to work at all (with some exceptions not in this scope). On a positive note, more and more people are getting fed up with the high cost of pre-engineered automation costs (i.e. intellicenter and the like) and designing their own systems but that is still very much in its infancy stages and requires much time, research, failures and corrections, etc. Not for the average Joe in any way.
Thank you for the detailed information. I certainly want the equipment to run correctly so I will discuss with the pool builder.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.