Pentair controller fried...

SaltyMB

Sep 2, 2021
Myrtle Beach, SC
Hi, everyone. Thanks for the great community! I've been learning a lot over the past couple of weeks.

We had an electricity surge that fried a bunch of stuff, including my Pentair EasyTouch controller. The controller will still turn on my main pump and the overflow pump, but it won't turn on/off the the spa pump. Similarly, it will turn on one of the pool lights but it won't turn on/off the light in the spa. For the spa pump and the spa light, I can turn them on/off via the breaker. I just can't control them via the EasyTouch interface. Of note, there is one pool light that won't turn on via the breaker or EasyTouch.

A technician came out and replaced two of the relays. No change. Next, they have offered to either replace the motherboard or just install a new EasyTouch system. My first inclination is to try the motherboard first as it is a substantial difference in cost. I know most of you are DIY-ers, but as this is a new-to-me pool, I am nervous about doing it myself at the moment and am willing to pay an expert to take care of it so that we can enjoy the rest of our pool season. However, I am hoping to get your opinion on the best next step.

I currently have an EasyTouch 8 Model 520657. It controls 3 pumps (two single speed Century pumps for the spa and infinity edge, and a Pentair WFE-4 pump for the filter), an Intellichlor IC40, as well as the 3 pool lights (1 spa, 2 pool). Of note, I also have a Pentair MasterTemp 250 to heat the spa. Before the electrical surge, the remote control could never turn the heater on/off or adjust the temperature. I had to walk over to the heater to turn it on or make adjustments to the temperature. Not sure why if I'm being honest.

So with that background, do you have an opinion on whether I should just swap out the motherboard (and if so, which one should i use)? Or would getting a newer EasyTouch system make more sense?

Salty,

Does your system have a Pentair Remote with buttons? If so, is the problem that the remote won't fully talk with the EasyTouch, or that the EasyTouch itself is bad..

I assumed that you have tried to turn on the spa pump and spa light from the EasyTouch itself... Correct ???

A new main board is all your should need. A whole new EasyTouch will not give you anything that you don't already have now..

Make sure you keep the old board.. I know a guy... :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi, Jim. Thanks for the reply!! I really appreciate the help.

The remote acts like it connects with the controller, but it won't turn anything on/off.

I can turn the pump on/off via the breaker, but if I turn the breakers on and try to turn the spa pump or lights off via EasyTouch (either at the controller or via the remote control), nothing happens. Similarly, I can't change the color scheme for the pool via the controller or the remote once the lights are on.

I can certainly hang onto the old motherboard!

Is there a particular motherboard I should buy? Or should any equivalent replacement work? Specifically, should they all be able to control the MasterTemp 250? The current one (the fried MB) did not control it. So, I always wondered if that was a function of the EasyTouch or the way the original installer set everything up.

Salty,

Except for some slight firmware changes all the new boards are basically the same.

I suspect your heater problem is just a set up issue and not a board problem.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.