PB uses Jandy and Anchor covers... like A&S

zam

Sep 9, 2018
Washington/DC
So I have been talking to a couple PB's but the one who stands out thus far uses Jandy equipment and Anchor pool covers. I've done my research and even on the Anchor site I can't tell which of the solid pool covers is supposed to be better. One has straps, the other uses springs. You can get it with a pump or a mesh in the middle to allow water drainage. I am in the mid-atlantic what do you guys think?

2 other inquiries would be that they are not big fans of variable speed pumps, claiming that it would be running at a high speed most of the time. I wan to use a salt chlorinator by the way. They are also not big fans of heat pumps in our area. Reasons were that they use a lot of electricity and only heat up to ambient air temp. Can I get some anecdotal experience on both the variable pump and then heat pump, thanks?

They do not sound very knowledgeable quite honestly.

Why would the pump need to run on high? With a SWG, longer run times are often needed and can be accomplished at a lower pump speed to save a lot on electricity.
And heat pumps can most certainly heat above the air temp ... they are slow to do so though.

Solid cover with pump, variable speed pump, automation with SWG in automation box, heat pump or gas heater.

A Heat pump is good to extend the season but not good for really cold weather.

Variable speed pumps rarely, if ever, need to be run anywhere near high. Most of the time 1/2 speed is plenty.

At 1/2 speed, the power usage is 1/8 to 1/6 and the sound is also 1/8 to 1/6 of full speed. Ask the builder if they're going to pay your electric bill.

I prefer the bigger variable speed pump because you can run it slower and that's quieter.

In my opinion, a new build should almost never use a single speed pump.

They stated the running on high to move the proper amount of water. I’m undecided on the SWC because some units seem to be able to run themselves, yet the Jandy variable pump controller can also control the SWC. Anybody have any info on the anchor covers? They have 2 solid versions, with rubber straps or springs.

I would do the cover with springs.

With a variable speed pump and a SWG, you should get automation to coordinate everything.

You really don't need a lot of water flow unless there is a specific reason, such as a heater, solar or in-floor cleaner.

I would advise against an in-floor cleaner.

A heater or solar needs a specific flow rate, but it's usually not crazy high. Automation should be able to change the pump speed to the correct speed when the heater is turned on.

If you get proper sized plumbing (Don't use 1.5" plumbing) and a 400 square foot cartridge filter, you should be able to run at 1/2 speed or lower most of the time.

Builders often just stick on a big 1.5 or 2 hp pump and let it run. They don't have to pay for the electricity or listen to the pump running.

Generally there is no need to worry about turnovers or "the amount of water moved". You want to run the pump at the lowest speed that gives you adequate flow rates for all your equipment and skimming to work.

In-floor systems require a much higher flow rate to work properly, I would advise against them.

Pool builders seem to be good at building pools. They often do not seem to be very good at optimizing the operation of the pool and certainly usually fail at understanding the chemistry involved in maintaining one.

Slight tangent but make sure you get what you want. There are some old school builders the don't buy into the Variable Speed "Hype" as two speeds will yield "all the flexibility you could need" and your "not having to pay all that up front cost" and he was also steering me towards an inline chlorinator instead of SWCG(sometimes I think it keeps them as low bid in their mind too!).

The builder I interviewed for my project that gave me this pitch was instantly disqualified though he didn't know it. He also came back with a rendering(actual paper and sketch) that looked like someone else's pool(uhh, I didn't specify a cantilever deck dude). In the end, it turns out he was the only builder in the group that didn't respond when I sent a thank you email out after picking my builder. :rolleyes:

We're using A&S and pushed them to use all Pentair equipment. It was obvious they are NOT used to ordering "custom" equipment because they made several ordering mistakes along the way. They have all been corrected so far, it just took longer than we would have liked. You also don't have to use their anchor cover - I won't be getting one of those. I will be looking at Merlin (most likely) or loop-loc.

The equipment "preference" seems to depending on the sales/designer you get - our guy is actually pretty good and threw in the variable speed pump right from the start. If you have access to nat gas or propane I'd for sure go that route so you can extend the season longer. That's the logic we used at least but we considered a heat pump as well.

I have NG at the house and even a line out the back but it's probably too small for a heater. Before adding any heat I might call a gas fitter to see what he or she thinks and how much it would be to run a line, if more service was needed etc. I don't think I am going with A&S but this other PB uses the same equipment. I don't have anything against the Jandy equipment per-say, just want to make sure I make an educated decision and not only take the PB's suggestion which might not meet my needs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Many times two things are at work when builders make equipment recomendations-

First, like all of us they get in a rut. The know how to install X, Y and Z and get food at it. When you ask for M, they have to step back and think, maybe learn how it works. In their world time is money. New products bring new problems for them.

Secondly, many times there is a financial advantage to stick with one product line and discourage variation. In many industries there can be a financial advantage to sticking with one product line as discounts occur when you move over certain thresholds.

You are handling it correctly. Research, learn and decide what is best for you.

If it helps - we decided to move to Pentair for a few reasons:

1) We wanted an adequately sized salt cell for our pool (33K gal) - Jandy maxes out at 40K capacity which doesn't leave us a ton of room for oversizing while Pentair had the IC60 unit which supports 60K gallons. This may not be a concern for you depending on your pool size and there are definitely other large options if you don't need/want automation
2) We definitely wanted automation and liked the screenlogic interface - I understand the Jandy interface is quite nice as well though
3) We liked the intelliflow pumps
4) Brand quality/reputation overall - most of the subs we worked with have commented they have less callbacks on pentair equipment vs. others. The exception here is the Intellbrite lights which seem to fail often but then again so do the other brands.

Note that we did stick with the Raypak heater as it didn't matter much for automation purposes and they offered a 7 year warranty via this route! Filter we stuck with Pentair to match but I would have been fine with any brand there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.