bookaboom

Apr 15, 2021
Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Today was gunite day, so they arrived early this morning to get started. I wasn't able to be out there to watch them work, but once they finished I went outside to look and they got the steps wrong. Apparently there are two sets of plans floating around for our pool, which is a whole other issue. It's supposed to be two full steps, with a half third and half fourth step on the right hand side. The intent was that the second step would act more as a bench on the left hand side. Instead, they gunited three full steps and half fourth step on the left hand side. They say they will fix it, but will this affect the structural integrity of the half third and half fourth steps once they add them to the correct side on the right? What if they come loose or if the plaster separates at the joint?

Attachments

• Steps.jpg
    Steps.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 174
Reactions: KBR
Howdy Bookaboom ::cool: Sorry to hear of the mix up.... but I gotta say those are some pretty steps! I really like how they are now. If it were me I'd take a little kickback and call it a day. But that's just me :)

Welcome to TFP and we'd love to see the rest of the pool too ;)

Maddie 🖖

Reactions: SunnyShawn and KBR
My gunite company had to come back out a second time to redo my steps and they turned out how they were supposed to the second time. The concrete had no problems adhering to the first poured concrete. I did end up with a bigger mess the second time when they cleaned out their hose on property. They left me multiple gunite boulders to deal with. It was probably spiteful since they had to come out a second time LOL. My steps did not have any rebar and were just solid concrete so I wouldn't say they are structural like the shell. If they just fill in the right side you will end up with a bigger bench for free. :)

i think if the second to last step is a half step you are gonna have people trying to step to a phantom step and fall into the pool unexpectedly
+1 and now I’m unsure which way I like better. Symmetrically balanced or laughing at friends falling.

i like the way it is now, i think if the second to last step is a half step you are gonna have people trying to step to a phantom step and fall deeper into the pool unexpectedly.
I had that same "discussion" with my wife, but she had a pretty strong opinion about how she wanted it. Basically it boils down to wanting that area as open as possible so the kids could play basketball at that end.

Reactions: Newdude
Howdy Bookaboom ::cool: Sorry to hear of the mix up.... but I gotta say those are some pretty steps! I really like how they are now. If it were me I'd take a little kickback and call it a day. But that's just me :)

Welcome to TFP and we'd love to see the rest of the pool too ;)

Maddie 🖖
Sure thing, it's raining now but will post more later.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wait until the first time she steps off into the void with a drink in her hand. A good time will be had by all.
Sadly, it won't make the husband right. It will be all his fault for allowing it to happen against his own wishes. It's right there in the marriage handbook on page 17.

So what was the outcome? I'm just thinking if I was your swimming pool architect/engineer/builder/psychic, I might tell you the only way to fix it is to complete the bottom step, per swimming pool ordinance 87.3.1(s)

Sorry, late reply. The pool is taking forever to complete due to all the rain we have gotten in TX, as well as equipment shortage issues. They haven't done it yet, but they are going to remove the incorrect steps, and reform them correctly when they do the decking. They will drill into the steps and rebar them in for support. I've read where other pool owners have had this done. Fingers crossed. 🤞

Update! Decking is completed and the steps have been fixed…sort of. They formed the new step in the right spot and jackhammered and sawed out the incorrect steps, but it’s not pretty. Didn’t expect all of the rebar to be sticking out where is is. PB says this isn’t the first time they’ve had to do this…

Attachments

• D572F854-56A1-41D1-9F1F-0BD05F3B2572.jpeg
    D572F854-56A1-41D1-9F1F-0BD05F3B2572.jpeg
    643.1 KB · Views: 99
  • 25A90F5B-7DF6-4139-83C6-786CC9B428C6.jpeg
    25A90F5B-7DF6-4139-83C6-786CC9B428C6.jpeg
    798.2 KB · Views: 105
  • A54B8798-82F5-4264-B23A-A5E0F1E2FBC9.jpeg
    A54B8798-82F5-4264-B23A-A5E0F1E2FBC9.jpeg
    736.7 KB · Views: 105
  • DCA03856-7297-4CCD-8CB2-FD2E614AE982.jpeg
    DCA03856-7297-4CCD-8CB2-FD2E614AE982.jpeg
    750 KB · Views: 105
Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.