Painting a Concrete Pool

Aug 28, 2018
Uniontown, OH
Bought our house with an IG pool two years ago. At the time it already had bare patches where the plaster appears to have worn down. No water loss, but the spots definitely take away from the attractiveness of the pool. Never been painted.
Planning to drain & paint the pool before winter so it is ready to go in the spring. No loss of swimming time. Thoughts/best practices/best supplies?

That was my husband’s preference, but the quote we’ve received was ~$12,500. That company discouraged us from replastering (weird) & said most people would just repaint it. And that was before the pandemic. Husband is typically all about DIY projects, but said DIY replastering is unrealistic. Been trying to make a plan for over a year. 😕

I paid a company to paint our old pool with an epoxy paint. IT looked nice but started to yellow after a couple years and the cost to sand blast and paint wasn't cheap..
I did look at a product when we move here that was a special "coating" ( can't remember the name )..It had good reviews but was also a 2 part paint you had to mix.

Reactions: mhk.kohler
My first house had a painted pool, same condition, bare concrete in some areas but no leaks. It was awful. Everytime I brushed a plume of chalky paint dust would cloud the water a few hours.

Whenever I backwashed it was always white from the paint particles getting filtered.

Plastering was going to be around 5,000 but I didn't care for the neighborhood and ended up selling it within the first year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.