Painting a Concrete Pool

mhk.kohler

Aug 28, 2018
Uniontown, OH
Bought our house with an IG pool two years ago. At the time it already had bare patches where the plaster appears to have worn down. No water loss, but the spots definitely take away from the attractiveness of the pool. Never been painted.
Planning to drain & paint the pool before winter so it is ready to go in the spring. No loss of swimming time. Thoughts/best practices/best supplies?

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
In my opinion, the current formulation of pool paint dissolves pretty fast and is not suitable for pools.

It's a water based paint that is being put under water. That's a bad idea.

mhk.kohler

Aug 28, 2018
Uniontown, OH
That was my husband’s preference, but the quote we’ve received was ~$12,500. That company discouraged us from replastering (weird) & said most people would just repaint it. And that was before the pandemic. Husband is typically all about DIY projects, but said DIY replastering is unrealistic. Been trying to make a plan for over a year. 😕

markayash

Gold Supporter
Mar 21, 2016
Atlanta Ga
I paid a company to paint our old pool with an epoxy paint. IT looked nice but started to yellow after a couple years and the cost to sand blast and paint wasn't cheap..
I did look at a product when we move here that was a special "coating" ( can't remember the name )..It had good reviews but was also a 2 part paint you had to mix.

Reactions: mhk.kohler

sktn77a

Gold Supporter
May 16, 2010
Chapel Hill, NC
I'd live with it for a year or two (until all the craziness dies down and prices become more reasonable again) and then bite the bullet and replaster. Get lots of estimates - that first one seems high.

markayash

Gold Supporter
Mar 21, 2016
Atlanta Ga
I had painted my spa and they charged me extra when they replastered mine years ago so probably best.

Last edited:

borjis

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 19, 2014
Pacific NW
My first house had a painted pool, same condition, bare concrete in some areas but no leaks. It was awful. Everytime I brushed a plume of chalky paint dust would cloud the water a few hours.

Whenever I backwashed it was always white from the paint particles getting filtered.

Plastering was going to be around 5,000 but I didn't care for the neighborhood and ended up selling it within the first year.

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.