Overwhelmed: vinyl, gunite, fiberglass

Sorry, the image is totally blurry. Unless you’re TFP Subscriber, images are highly limited (for server storage reasons). If you use a 3rd Party image host that allows hot-linking, then you can post a link to the image.

Sorry, in my haste I left my full address on there, so I needed to delete it anyway. I'll just type out the basics quick.

15x32
INCLUDED IN BASE PRICE $32,025
Blue Quartz Finish (**which you just said wasn't worth it, I wonder if they'd take off for not getting it, or if its worth it when included?)
Fill spout and overflow
6"x6" frost proof tile--stock
std efficiency pump
manual vacuum equip
hi-flow sand filter
rainbow 320 auto chlorinator
stainless steel 3-tread ladder
permits and sales tax

ADDED UPGRADES:
LED multi-color lights (2) $1k
Electrical allowance $1700
salt system $1800
Polaris 280 cleaner $1275
SuperFlo variable speed pump $775
clean and clear 320 cartridge pump $775
coping:brick $3k
Decking, concrete: 723 sq ft $4596

Tight access TBD (what is this?)
Dewater with wellpoints--$1500 TBD

^^Not sure what those last two things are? They both say TBD for our price, but the second includes the price of it. Final price $45946

Sorry, in my haste I left my full address on there, so I needed to delete it anyway. I'll just type out the basics quick.

15x32
INCLUDED IN BASE PRICE $32,025
Blue Quartz Finish (**which you just said wasn't worth it, I wonder if they'd take off for not getting it, or if its worth it when included?)
Fill spout and overflow
6"x6" frost proof tile--stock
std efficiency pump
manual vacuum equip
hi-flow sand filter
rainbow 320 auto chlorinator
stainless steel 3-tread ladder
permits and sales tax

ADDED UPGRADES:
LED multi-color lights (2) $1k
Electrical allowance $1700
salt system $1800
Polaris 280 cleaner $1275
SuperFlo variable speed pump $775
clean and clear 320 cartridge pump $775
coping:brick $3k
Decking, concrete: 723 sq ft $4596

Tight access TBD (what is this?)
Dewater with wellpoints--$1500 TBD

^^Not sure what those last two things are? They both say TBD for our price, but the second includes the price of it. Final price $45946

If their “blue quartz plaster” is included in the base price, then leave it, it’s just quartz plaster.

STD efficiency pump means a single-speed pump which is a dinosaur and energy hog. Get a variable speed pump as it doesn’t cost a whole lot more and they are well worth it in terms of low energy use.

You need to read and see if you agree with TFP’s philosophy on pool water chemistry and maintenance but you DO NOT want a puck chlorinator (the Rainbow inline chlorinator). Tricolor pucks add a constant stream of stabilizer (cyanuric acid) along with chlorine and eventually high stabilizer causes major problems in pools. I would highly suggest you go with the salt water chlorine generator system and variable speed pump. However, those work best when paired with an automation system like a Pentair EasyTouch system especially if you want remote control over your pool and perhaps tie in some landscape lighting. You might want to rework that part of the their quote. If so, go with all Pentair equipment, it’s the best solution for a turn-key system in my opinion. Sta-rite equipment is basically Pentair because they bought Sta-rite out 15 years ago. I would go with Pentair over Sta-rite just because I don’t like the sta-rite product line.

I have a DE filter and think cartridge filters are very good too. I’m not a fan of sand filters although many on here have them and love them. Up to you. However, as it is with lots of pool equipment, oversizing is always better so get the largest possible filter your budget can afford. It helps to keep filter cleaning cycle down and saves you water if you get a filter that needs backwashing (sand and DE).

$1280 for a Polaris 280 pressure cleaner is a total rip off! They don’t cost that much at all and, anyway, pressure cleaners are the rotary dial phone of the cleaner world. Save your money and spend it on a Dolphin S300i robot (~$1,200) and you’ll be a lot happier with the cleaning results.

While LED lights are great in theory for energy savings and can create fun color shows, TFP gets lots of report of them not lasting more than a few years and they are VERY expensive to replace. I have old-school energy INEFFICIENT halogen lamps BUT they are on year 5 and still going strong (and they are cheap to fix & replace). Up to you but my experience with landscape and interior LED lights is that they are constructed so cheaply that their supposed energy savings never materializes (I’m constantly replacing both interior and exterior LED bulbs at $3-$4 a pop).

The only way to know if those decking numbers are even remotely in line is to get other quotes. We always say here that you need at least three quotes to get a fair market comparison. And then, BEOFRE YOU SIGN, you get a list a references to call and visit to determine if the PB is the guy you want to spend months working with. References, references, references are absolutely key and will save you from those nightmare scenarios of dealing with a nasty pool builder or, worse, have them walk out on your job after taking all your money.

If their “blue quartz plaster” is included in the base price, then leave it, it’s just quartz plaster.

STD efficiency pump means a single-speed pump which is a dinosaur and energy hog. Get a variable speed pump as it doesn’t cost a whole lot more and they are well worth it in terms of low energy use.

You need to read and see if you agree with TFP’s philosophy on pool water chemistry and maintenance but you DO NOT want a puck chlorinator (the Rainbow inline chlorinator). Tricolor pucks add a constant stream of stabilizer (cyanuric acid) along with chlorine and eventually high stabilizer causes major problems in pools. I would highly suggest you go with the salt water chlorine generator system and variable speed pump. However, those work best when paired with an automation system like a Pentair EasyTouch system especially if you want remote control over your pool and perhaps tie in some landscape lighting. You might want to rework that part of the their quote. If so, go with all Pentair equipment, it’s the best solution for a turn-key system in my opinion. Sta-rite equipment is basically Pentair because they bought Sta-rite out 15 years ago. I would go with Pentair over Sta-rite just because I don’t like the sta-rite product line.

I have a DE filter and think cartridge filters are very good too. I’m not a fan of sand filters although many on here have them and love them. Up to you. However, as it is with lots of pool equipment, oversizing is always better so get the largest possible filter your budget can afford. It helps to keep filter cleaning cycle down and saves you water if you get a filter that needs backwashing (sand and DE).

$1280 for a Polaris 280 pressure cleaner is a total rip off! They don’t cost that much at all and, anyway, pressure cleaners are the rotary dial phone of the cleaner world. Save your money and spend it on a Dolphin S300i robot (~$1,200) and you’ll be a lot happier with the cleaning results.

While LED lights are great in theory for energy savings and can create fun color shows, TFP gets lots of report of them not lasting more than a few years and they are VERY expensive to replace. I have old-school energy INEFFICIENT halogen lamps BUT they are on year 5 and still going strong (and they are cheap to fix & replace). Up to you but my experience with landscape and interior LED lights is that they are constructed so cheaply that their supposed energy savings never materializes (I’m constantly replacing both interior and exterior LED bulbs at $3-$4 a pop).

The only way to know if those decking numbers are even remotely in line is to get other quotes. We always say here that you need at least three quotes to get a fair market comparison. And then, BEOFRE YOU SIGN, you get a list a references to call and visit to determine if the PB is the guy you want to spend months working with. References, references, references are absolutely key and will save you from those nightmare scenarios of dealing with a nasty pool builder or, worse, have them walk out on your job after taking all your money.

Thank you, again! Unfortunately, we've already done our homework on PBs and this guy and one more that we're awaiting our consult with are the clear leaders in our area with nearly all glowing reviews, so not a lot to pick from when avoiding smaller companies since we're relying on them with being complete pool building idiots ourselves. We definitely want to go with SWG, that's the only upgrade I was sure of! He did insist we'd be happier with a cartridge filter too, but that sand does fine, just doesn't get the water as clear as he likes. Good to know on the cleaner, I'll remove that and look into the other suggested. I do recall now that all the equipment is pentair, he left brochures on all of the options. I'll have to look into the easytouch system and see about adding it to the quote.

Funny thing is, this all started with my going to walmart and buying a cheapie Intex pool for this summer to get a feel for pools, when trying to learn about caring for them, I found TFP when I saw an article about the once named BBB method. Let's just say, you guys have sent us down the pool rabbit hole and my $300 summer project has spiraled out of control! To be fair, an inground pool was always on the agenda, just more on the 5 year plan.

Thanks again for your feedback on the quote! For the most part, it seems pretty spot on after the upgrades he strongly suggested. Now to get the next quote back and see how they compare.

Thank you, again! Unfortunately, we've already done our homework on PBs and this guy and one more that we're awaiting our consult with are the clear leaders in our area with nearly all glowing reviews, so not a lot to pick from when avoiding smaller companies since we're relying on them with being complete pool building idiots ourselves. We definitely want to go with SWG, that's the only upgrade I was sure of! He did insist we'd be happier with a cartridge filter too, but that sand does fine, just doesn't get the water as clear as he likes. Good to know on the cleaner, I'll remove that and look into the other suggested. I do recall now that all the equipment is pentair, he left brochures on all of the options. I'll have to look into the easytouch system and see about adding it to the quote.

Funny thing is, this all started with my going to walmart and buying a cheapie Intex pool for this summer to get a feel for pools, when trying to learn about caring for them, I found TFP when I saw an article about the once named BBB method. Let's just say, you guys have sent us down the pool rabbit hole and my $300 summer project has spiraled out of control! To be fair, an inground pool was always on the agenda, just more on the 5 year plan.

Thanks again for your feedback on the quote! For the most part, it seems pretty spot on after the upgrades he strongly suggested. Now to get the next quote back and see how they compare.

I’ll say it again to simply emphasize the point - get and check references BEFORE you sign anything! Do not place trust in any online reviews as they can be notoriously inaccurate or, worse, the vendor in question pays for them to be good reviews. Places like Angie’s List and Yelp! have gotten in trouble with consumer protection groups for being too willing to work with their contractor members to skew reviews and searches. Call references and ask to visit their pools, it will tell you a lot about the contractor and people are more willing to be honest about another person in face-to-face conversations as opposed to phone calls. Visiting a reference shed light on our PB’s working personality (likes to control the job site and doesn’t like a lot of interruptions from the customer) so I was able to better navigate our interactions with him. At the end of the process we became good friends and he stops by every so often just to say hi and check if I need help with anything. Not having that advanced information about him could have led to some nasty interactions during the build which would have completely changed the working dynamic and potentially could have led to conflict.

If you do go with an SWG system, then you either need a 2-speed pump or a variable speed pump. Running a pool with an SWG and a single speed pump will be a huge waste of electricity. I would definitely go with cartridge over sand, but that’s my personal preference.

I don’t disagree that we (TFP) see relatively more issues with LED lights but I love ours and thankfully are 6 seasons Trouble Free.

There is also the option to get a standard light and replace the bulb with an LED. I’m not that familiar down that path but I know it’s an option.

Personally I’d just go all in on two LED fixtures if I had to do it again.

I have the dolphin s300i. It’s awesome. I have not manually vac’ed since I got it this season. I brush any dirt off my steps and benches and the robot does the rest.

I would only only look into a variable speed pump. I run mine 24/7 at a very low speed. Once a day I have a program set to run at a higher speed for 3 hrs. Keep the top of my water always clean.

I have a de filter. I wanted cart but my builder talked me out of it. I don’t mind the de filter. Backwashing and adding new powder is a 10 minute job.

The kids love the led lights. I will say if u want to save a bit of money down the road and u go pentair have them do the small globrite lights that they use in spas but do multiple ones. I learned that here. They r cheaper if one goes bad but u have multiple to light up the pool. I put mine along the long part of my pool so they only need to shine across the narrow part of the pool so I get even coverage.

Make sure u find out exactly how many returns and how many skimmers. Make sure everything is home run! That way if something goes u can trace the issue easier. It also allows u to control the water much much easier and with more control.

I have quartz finish. It’s a the branded version. Diamond brite. I like it. Gives I a nice color without braking the bank. My wife didn’t want pebble.

Really really consoder adding automation. It has made life so easy. I’m sitting in Phili right now 2 hrs from my house and when I get done typing this I’m going to increase my pump speed so my parents can drop in some chlorine if need be cause of the heat today.

Good luck!

Just to add a twist on a vinyl pool. Our liner pool has poured concrete walls that remove the risk of the steel rusting and polymer bowing out.

That’s a popular build method.. if done well & the right region , a great pool..

& to joyful, I can’t imagine an applicator throwing some blinged out aggregate into marcite & calling it a pebble / bead job.. from dealer perspective, no manufacturer warranty , & it’s going to be a field batched ratio.
.. & if this so called upgrade is only a grand... well sounds like baloney to me.

TBD well pointing is reasonable, it can be a nightmare or piece of cake to dewater a dig..

It’s fair to both contractor & buyer to TBD.

Builder can loose money or buyer can pay for an elaborate dewatering, in an easy to wring out dig.

The Polaris 280 plus booster pump runs about $800-$900. With the additional plumbing and electric, parts and labor, the going rate is about $1200 installed. I've had a Polaris 380 for over 20 years and love it. However, the trend appears to be going all-robot, of which a good one will cost you about the same. The Polaris is pretty reliable, requiring a rebuild (~$200 for the kit) every 7-10 years. The robots, when the electronic fail, are very expensive to repair.

"You pays your money, you takes your choice!"

;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.