Overflow pool questions

h-bo

Oct 28, 2022
turks and caicos
Hello! first post on the forum. I have completed the construction on a 85ftx14ft pool with an infinity edge (on one short end) for my family home in the turks and caicos and as I see it I have a major problem with the design. My engineer does not see the issue so I am hoping to find some sage advice here.

Please see the attached pictures below. the plumbing at the moment is very simple. There are 2 variable speed PENTAIR 022056 INTELLIFLO XF VSF PUMPs. One running from the base of the overflow trough, the other from the base of the pool, they feed into a total of 10 jets. 4 for the overflow/ 6 for the main pool. there is a automated refill (with float valve) on the main pool.

There are several problems with this setup:

1. The automatic refill function of the main pool means that either the water level is set below the infinity edge, which means that the overflow trough eventually runs dry and the edge is not activated. Or the refill is set too high and the water continues to be added to the pool and eventually the overflow trough runs over and the water is wasted.
2. No runoff piping has been designed into the overflow trough. If the trough overfills the water runs over the edge of the trough unto a dining areas which sits at the base of the pool.
3. There is no sensor or mechanism to stop the overflow trough pump, meaning that if there is insufficient water the trough pump will run dry and presumably burn out.
4. The overflow trough is small. It has a capacity of around 500 gallons. By observation when the infinity edge is activated it takes 4-5 minutes of heavy pool activity (my fours kids trying to make as many waves as possible) until the overflow trough runs over. When the activity in the pool stops the full overflow trough is emptied within 3-4 minutes until it the pump is running dry.

The engineer is suggesting the following fix (attached tech. drawing).

1. We place a sensor at the top of the overflow trough. This would activated the overflow pump at full blast for 3 minutes which would give enough time for most of the water in the trough to be pumped into the main pool.
2. We place a sensor roughly half way down in the overflow pool which activates the refill of the overflow pool to ensure that it never runs completely dry.

This would resolve the problem of the overflow trough pump running dry but it would not create a constant infinity edge. When there is no activity the water level in the main pool is below the infinity edge, the trough is half full of water and the overflow trough pump is disengaged. I basically just have a regular pool at this point.

My question is the following:

1. Is there a way to vary the speed of the overflow trough pump depending on water level in the trough? My intention is that when the trough is at 0% fill the pump is disengaged completely. When the pool is not in use the trough is 10% full and the overflow trough pump is running at very low pwer (eg 10gpm) so that water is trickling over the edge of the main pool. When in use as more water flows over the egde the pump gradually increases in speed to full speed when the trough is at 50%. Further to this I would add a refill sensor which would be triggered if the trough runs below 10% full.

As I mentioned earlier any help or thoughts or even encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading this.. enjoy your functioning pools!!

Hengineer fix.jpgIMG_0870 copy.jpgIMG_0871 copy.jpgIMG_0872 copy.jpgIMG_0874 copy.jpgIMG_0878 copy.jpgIMG_0882.pdf copy.jpg

)

Welcome to TFP.

These articles about Infinity Edge pools may help you understand what should have been done. They all stress proper sizing the catch basin, having the autofill in the catch basin and not the main pool, and having automatic pumps.

Expanding your catch basin will be difficult but I think your autofill needs to be relocated to the trough and you need the correct automatic pump controls to maintain the pool weir overflow and the trough level.

Maybe @AQUA~HOLICS has experience with this type of problem.

Vanishing Edges 101

Avoiding the Pitfalls of Vanishing-Edge Pool Construction

Under-sizing the catch basin is one of the most common mistakes we see on pools with vanishing edges, one that can lead to flooding and all the expensive damage that goes with it.

Auto-fill units should usually be installed on the lower level of the vanishing edge basin wall, not on the upper main pool. (The water level in the upper pool will remain full, so there's no need for an auto-fill in the upper pool. By contrast, the lower basin is where the water level changes — and it changes significantly. This is where you'll see the net result of evaporation and splash out.)

@setsailsoon is currently designing a pool with an overflow edge and may be helpful.

Thank you AJW22, The guides you refer to are very helpful and clear.
It is quite clear that the plumbing in the catch basin has not been designed or constructed for a vanishing edge of any sort.

The good news is that I think the catch basin is small but not disastrously so. I think I can work with what I have.
Retro fitting a refill function in the catch basin is fairly straight forward at this point.

The part that concerns me a lot more and where I am need of advice is to how to install and select the auto-leveling sensors to activate and dis-activate the catch basin pump.

I will send a pm to aqua-holics, but if any one has any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated.

Have a good sunday!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.