What to try next after check valves???

JAnewton

Nov 30, 2022
Orange County CA
Hello,
I am new to the forum and am hoping someone here can share insights to my issue. Bought a house with an existing small spa pool with a vanishing edge and hardscape waterfall. The pool seems to be losing water, and I have noticed that after running the vanishing edge pump to pull water out of the trough/trench and pump it into the pool, a couple hours after I do that, the water level in the trough/trench has risen to the lip of the small overflow drain. I am fairly certain that water is slowing running out of the trough/trench overflow drain, after somehow finding its way out of the pool and into the lower trough/trench.

There is a autofill Jandy Levelor that senses when water level in the trough/trench is really low, and opens a valve to bring it to a proper level. It is not running in this scenario. The trench water level is somehow rising with water from the pool.

There are four check valves; 1. Filter pump, 2. Booster pump, 3. Vanishing Edge pump, and 4. Waterfall pump. They are all Jandy standard check valves and I have replaced the flapper/O-ring seal/cover for each of the four. I still have water moving from pool to trench.

Where else should I look for a gravity or siphon-fed connection between the pool and vanishing edge water trench?

I can keep the pool relatively full by running the vanishing edge to pump water into the pool and letting the Levelor refill the trench, but I don't think I should be losing water out to the overflow drain in the trench the way I do.

Thank you for your consideration and time taken to read this post!

jim

Jim,

In my mind, the only way water should be getting into your trough is by the edge spillover from the pool or from the fill line.

If I understand you correctly, the fill line is shut off, and the edge spillover is off, yet water is being added to the trough. If that is true, then I would suspect the check valve in the trough pump line, even if you have already replaced the guts.

I'd plug the line going to the trough pump and let it sit for a day and see if the water in the trough increases or not.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.