best pool design for lots of leaves

AnneRH

Apr 21, 2022
Houston
We have had an above ground pool for almost 25 years and are thinking about changing it up. The pool area is surrounded by trees, some hanging over the pool, so lots of leaves falling into the pool begins in august when trees get stressed (texas). I am curious if infinity pools have ever been designed with a diagonal wire mesh that the water overflows on, which would allow the water to go through but the leaves would be prevented from entering the overflow trough and hopefully, eventually going to ground beyond the trough? Maybe this wouldnt look so nice but am wondering if it would work to best eliminate floating leaves from a pool?

Are there any pool designs that are best for handling large volumes of leaves? I realize trimming the trees and surrounding the trees/pool with netting is an option. Thanks for your insight

infinity pools have ever been designed with a diagonal wire mesh that the water overflows on, which would allow the water to go through but the leaves would be prevented from entering the overflow trough and hopefully, eventually going to ground beyond the trough?
While the idea sounds good I don't think the leaves will go anywhere. They will end up building up and stopping the flow of water and causing more harm than good.

I think the auto cover may work but you will have to find a good way to remove the leaves. from the cover.

While the idea sounds good I don't think the leaves will go anywhere. They will end up building up and stopping the flow of water and causing more harm than good.

I think the auto cover may work but you will have to find a good way to remove the leaves. from the cover.
I see what you are saying - was hoping some type of gutter leaf guard for pool troughs had already been designed and proven. I can see how a blanket of wet leaves would have water splashing or flowing where its not supposed to.

Since the pool area is very close and visible to the back of the house, it is so nice to see the shimmering water in the summer, therefore, not to keen on keeping the pool covered in the summer.

I just love the idea of watching leaves disappear over a waterfall...guess I'll have to keep dreaming.

Reactions: kimkats
I see what you are saying - was hoping some type of gutter leaf guard for pool troughs had already been designed and proven. I can see how a blanket of wet leaves would have water splashing or flowing where its not supposed to.

Since the pool area is very close and visible to the back of the house, it is so nice to see the shimmering water in the summer, therefore, not to keen on keeping the pool covered in the summer.

I just love the idea of watching leaves disappear over a waterfall...guess I'll have to keep dreaming.
I think you’re on the verge of a great pool invention! Large water treatment systems use a moving steel grate to collect and remove debris. Netting shaped in the form of a “conveyor belt“ in your infinity edge trough would catch the leaves and convey them up and out of the trough. Could even be moved using a paddle wheel and gearbox instead of electric motor; it would not need to move very fast. The downside would be having to run the infinity overflow a lot of the time for it to work. Managing pH might be a challenge.

I think you’re on the verge of a great pool invention! Large water treatment systems use a moving steel grate to collect and remove debris. Netting shaped in the form of a “conveyor belt“ in your infinity edge trough would catch the leaves and convey them up and out of the trough. Could even be moved using a paddle wheel and gearbox instead of electric motor; it would not need to move very fast. The downside would be having to run the infinity overflow a lot of the time for it to work. Managing pH might be a challenge.
I'd love to see someone on here come up with something. That's interesting about the conveyor belt and water treatment plants. I still keep thinking about the simplicity of gutter leaf guards I guess it's not that easy in real life. If there's any way to get the experts I'm here thinking about it, I'm all for it!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.