Jun 1, 2023
Dayton, OH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Opened my inground pool a week ago and have had nothing but problems. It is concrete with a vinyl liner. This is our first season with the pool and we have zero experience. It had a huge algae bloom right off and it has been a struggle to get chemicals in balance. Algae is dead now but cloudiness remains, so we poured in some floc yesterday. Was told our pool is 30k gallons but no…after dosing it found out it is 13k, not 30! ☠️☠️☠️ So needless to say we awoke this morning to a still cloudy pool. No signs whatsoever the floc is doing anything, and now we can’t run filtration. I know we need to give it more time, but after reading what happens when there is too much floc I’m not optimistic. I am praying there is a solution that does not involve draining the pool. I honestly just want to put the cover back on and try again next year. I am so frustrated. We have already wasted so much money on chemicals and water is crazy expensive where we live.

We have a Pentair FNS Plus 24 sq ft DE filter. We suspect the entire inside assembly needs replaced. We cleaned it a few days ago and the grids look shabby, and the manifold is cracked. We have a new complete assembly arriving in a few days. Thought we could just floc out what cloudiness is there now, then the new filtration assembly will keep it clear. Now I don’t know what to do. Please help!

Hi and welcome.

Have you already put floc through the filter? Or have you vacuumed to waste? The remaining floc will need vacuumed/pumped out without going through your filter. Further reading on floc

The cloudiness is due to algae, you can't filter it out or floc it out. You will need a proper test kit and lots of liquid chlorine - no more pool store testing or chemicals! Once you get the floc out and have a functioning filter system, you will need to follow the SLAM process.

Hi and welcome.

Have you already put floc through the filter? Or have you vacuumed to waste? The remaining floc will need vacuumed/pumped out without going through your filter. Further reading on floc

The cloudiness is due to algae, you can't filter it out or floc it out. You will need a proper test kit and lots of liquid chlorine - no more pool store testing or chemicals! Once you get the floc out and have a functioning filter system, you will need to follow the SLAM process.
Thank you for responding! The good news is we at least knew enough about floc to NOT run it through the filter. I set it to recirculate for the required 2 hours, then shut it off and have not turned it back on. I have not vacuumed yet and will to waste when I do. I’m giving it more time to see if anything sinks (heard on the algae, but there is also dirt/sediment). I despise vacuuming when I can’t see the bottom. We had super high chlorine for a few days which I thought killed the algae. Yesterday (pre-floc) was the first day it had tested in range.

So how will I know I’ve gotten enough of the floc out to turn the filtration back on? With the cloudiness and no visible change from how it looked without floc, I’m not sure how to tell. We are replacing the entire assembly inside the filter so I’m not too worried about ruining what’s in there now, but I understand that’s not the only problem filtering with too much remaining floc can cause.

So how will I know I’ve gotten enough of the floc out to turn the filtration back on?
That's one of the reasons we avoid floc if at all possible. It's questionable whether it all gets removed on the first vacuum. Don't be surprised if after the first attempt you stir-up a bunch of stuff and have to let it settle a 2nd or 3rd time. Just do the best you can, then with a proper test kit, go right into the SLAM Process. Accurate testing is key.

Update for anyone who may find this thread while looking for help:

FINALLY got all the floc out. It took 5 days and 5x vacuuming, then letting the rest get sucked into the already limping filter. We noticed a lot of the sludge we pulled off the pool floor was DE (despite putting in the proper amount when we cleaned it Memorial Day) and figured out the ragged out filter assembly was a big reason we couldn’t clear the pool pre-floc, so have since replaced it and started the SLAM process. It’s not been 24 hours and already the cloudiness is fading. I have thrown out the test strips and am using the recommended chlorine, ph and CYA tests. I am hooked on the precision and can totally see now why it’s the only way to go. I can actually see the vacuum on the pool floor now, although barely. Hope is restored. Thank you to those who helped me out!

Question - we are vacuuming out a lot of what looks like sand. We have a DE filter and live hundreds of miles from anyplace sandy. I read this could be mustard algae. Will SLAMing be effective against that, or do we need to be doing something additional? I put all our cleaning equipment into the pool to be sanitized as well since mustard algae can live outside the pool. The good news is SLAMing has cleared the pool even more overnight - I can actually see the pattern on the liner now for the first time since we opened the pool 5/25!

Often times what people have is not Mustard Algae, but something else or some other species of algae. But see the link below as a reference. If you wish to treat for MA, that page will guide you. As stated on that page, and we can't emphasize this enough, you MUST pass the regular SLAM (3) criteria before moving-on to the MA treatment procedure with its elevated MA levels of chlorine for 24 hrs.

The pool is so so close to clear now - maybe just another day. So now I’m looking at maintenance. Since this is our first season and we got bad early advice that we need all kinds of chemicals to keep the water balanced…what do I actually need to be monitoring and adding regularly? Is it really just FC I will have to adjust daily, and watch and adjust the rest weekly? “The rest” being CC, PH, alkalinity, CYA and hardness. I did find the article on here about proper levels so I feel good about knowing what to look for in those terms.

One more question - my filter seems to be needing backwashed a lot. 3-4 times daily. I know SLAMing increases the need to backwash, but even as the pool clears the need has not reduced. I am questioning the criteria I use to tell when it needs backwashed. At baseline the psi is around 12 and that’s where it is after backwashing. However, within about an hour after backwashing I notice decreased flow of water into the pool and the psi is 22-25. I check the skimmer baskets and they’re empty or have very little in them. So I backwash, flow is good for another hour or so, then not. What am I missing?

what do I actually need to be monitoring and adding regularly?
The link below is a good outline. But yes, basically FC and pH will be your two most tested items as most of the others don't change all that fast unless you change a lot of water.

my filter seems to be needing backwashed a lot. 3-4 times daily.
I believe earlier you mentioned having a DE filter, so it will certainly fill-up fast. Hopefully that will slow down as the filter captures the last of the dead algae.

Reactions: BigRegrets2023

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you! I will continue on then with the multiple backwashings. Also, here is a photo of the sludge I’ve been vacuuming out. It looks very sandy, disperses into yellow/green clouds when disturbed, and takes some time to resettle. That’s why I was thinking mustard algae but I’m about 12 days into active pool ownership so don’t actually have a clue lol.

Attachments

• IMG_1618.jpeg
    IMG_1618.jpeg
    581.9 KB · Views: 16
full

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.