Our TV is just a simple Vizio from Sams, 55" at 350.00 it is covered not worried about loosing a bunch of cash, I do have a slip cover for it in really nasty weather. I have been very happy with how long it has lasted for me!!!
The speakers are outdoor rated Yamaha's though, I run the sound through a simple receiver.
We went back and forth between going the relatively cheap "regular" tv and a tv made for outdoors routes. At the end of the day, we chose to buy a specialized tv for outdoors (sunbrite) based on the following:
1. The space we have it in mounted in is only half under an overhang and is very much exposed to the elements - the tv we purchased can handle rain, moisture, and extreme temperatures;
2. Part of the above consideration is that there can be a lot of glare/sun exposure so the added brightness of these tvs is nice;
3. The space cannot accommodate a very large TV anyway and while way more expensive than a regular tv, it was not crazy expensive (they can get very expensive if you go much bigger or go the Pro series route) ;
4. We wanted to be able to mount an appleTV and not worry about it either and the weather-proof "box" built into this tv can accommodate it;
5. We wanted to mount this nicely and hopefully not touch it for 10 years.
There would be ways of getting around most of these things and we could buy multiple cheaper tvs for the price of this but did not want to deal with that. All in all, we're very pleased. Note that Amazon sells a re-branded sunbrite (equivalent to the signature series) at a heavy discount.
We watch our 4 to 6 days a week out side in the season. all weekend Golf, Tennis, College Football, Horse Races ETC. it is just regular ole Visio and works great. I am not sure Houston has Humidity you speak of!!! LOL
He turned it on and 30 seconds later there was a loud pop and that was it for the tv. The year before, he used up all my firewood building a bonfire that was too big and caught my grass on fire. I cant wait until this Christmas.