Outdoor TV...is a true outdoor model necessary?

jtburf

Jun 8, 2015
Houston, TX
Our TV is just a simple Vizio from Sams, 55" at 350.00 it is covered not worried about loosing a bunch of cash, I do have a slip cover for it in really nasty weather. I have been very happy with how long it has lasted for me!!!

The speakers are outdoor rated Yamaha's though, I run the sound through a simple receiver.
John

Attachments

freebsdrules

Sep 3, 2019
delaware
We went back and forth between going the relatively cheap "regular" tv and a tv made for outdoors routes. At the end of the day, we chose to buy a specialized tv for outdoors (sunbrite) based on the following:

1. The space we have it in mounted in is only half under an overhang and is very much exposed to the elements - the tv we purchased can handle rain, moisture, and extreme temperatures;
2. Part of the above consideration is that there can be a lot of glare/sun exposure so the added brightness of these tvs is nice;
3. The space cannot accommodate a very large TV anyway and while way more expensive than a regular tv, it was not crazy expensive (they can get very expensive if you go much bigger or go the Pro series route) ;
4. We wanted to be able to mount an appleTV and not worry about it either and the weather-proof "box" built into this tv can accommodate it;
5. We wanted to mount this nicely and hopefully not touch it for 10 years.

There would be ways of getting around most of these things and we could buy multiple cheaper tvs for the price of this but did not want to deal with that. All in all, we're very pleased. Note that Amazon sells a re-branded sunbrite (equivalent to the signature series) at a heavy discount.

Attachments

JJ_Tex

Bronze Supporter
Jul 17, 2019
Prosper, TX (DFW)
Good choice on the TV. I think you could have gotten away with a regular TV if it was mounted in the corner, but since it is only partially covered you mad the right choice.

freebsdrules

Sep 3, 2019
delaware
Good choice on the TV. I think you could have gotten away with a regular TV if it was mounted in the corner, but since it is only partially covered you mad the right choice.
Thanks, and agreed! I didn't want to even think about a cover. Already have to cover the furniture out there after using it, didn't want to do the same with the TV.

jtburf

Jun 8, 2015
Houston, TX
I personally wouldn't trust anything other than an outdoor rated TV in our Texas humidity. Luckily I am not in the market for an outdoor TV. It would rarely get watched.
We watch our 4 to 6 days a week out side in the season. all weekend Golf, Tennis, College Football, Horse Races ETC. it is just regular ole Visio and works great. I am not sure Houston has Humidity you speak of!!! LOL

John

Katodude

Silver Supporter
Aug 22, 2017
West Palm Beach/Florida
I have had a 55” LG that I bought on sale from Best Buy over 2 years ago and it still works great. When it goes I will replace it with the cheapest 65” I can find.

The biggest problem I have is how to get sound out to the spa from the TV. It would be nice if the TV could connect to a Bluetooth speaker.