Outdoor TV...is a true outdoor model necessary?

Our TV is just a simple Vizio from Sams, 55" at 350.00 it is covered not worried about loosing a bunch of cash, I do have a slip cover for it in really nasty weather. I have been very happy with how long it has lasted for me!!!

The speakers are outdoor rated Yamaha's though, I run the sound through a simple receiver.
John

Attachments

• 20190501_171923.jpg
    20190501_171923.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 20190516_070349.jpg
    20190516_070349.jpg
    427.7 KB · Views: 78
  • Speaker3.jpg
    Speaker3.jpg
    432.8 KB · Views: 73
We went back and forth between going the relatively cheap "regular" tv and a tv made for outdoors routes. At the end of the day, we chose to buy a specialized tv for outdoors (sunbrite) based on the following:

1. The space we have it in mounted in is only half under an overhang and is very much exposed to the elements - the tv we purchased can handle rain, moisture, and extreme temperatures;
2. Part of the above consideration is that there can be a lot of glare/sun exposure so the added brightness of these tvs is nice;
3. The space cannot accommodate a very large TV anyway and while way more expensive than a regular tv, it was not crazy expensive (they can get very expensive if you go much bigger or go the Pro series route) ;
4. We wanted to be able to mount an appleTV and not worry about it either and the weather-proof "box" built into this tv can accommodate it;
5. We wanted to mount this nicely and hopefully not touch it for 10 years.

There would be ways of getting around most of these things and we could buy multiple cheaper tvs for the price of this but did not want to deal with that. All in all, we're very pleased. Note that Amazon sells a re-branded sunbrite (equivalent to the signature series) at a heavy discount.

Attachments

• outdoor_tv.jpg
    outdoor_tv.jpg
    383.7 KB · Views: 53
Good choice on the TV. I think you could have gotten away with a regular TV if it was mounted in the corner, but since it is only partially covered you mad the right choice.

I personally wouldn't trust anything other than an outdoor rated TV in our Texas humidity. Luckily I am not in the market for an outdoor TV. It would rarely get watched.
We watch our 4 to 6 days a week out side in the season. all weekend Golf, Tennis, College Football, Horse Races ETC. it is just regular ole Visio and works great. I am not sure Houston has Humidity you speak of!!! LOL

John

I have had a 55” LG that I bought on sale from Best Buy over 2 years ago and it still works great. When it goes I will replace it with the cheapest 65” I can find.

The biggest problem I have is how to get sound out to the spa from the TV. It would be nice if the TV could connect to a Bluetooth speaker.

Based on my experience, no :)

He turned it on and 30 seconds later there was a loud pop and that was it for the tv. The year before, he used up all my firewood building a bonfire that was too big and caught my grass on fire. I cant wait until this Christmas.

Is his name Cousin Eddie? :)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 10

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I agree with most of the others - if you've got a covered patio that can shield the TV from the worst of the elements, a regular TV is the way to go. Bought a 60" that we use with the expectation that if it crapped out after three years, I could probably get a new one for the same or less - still about 10% of the price of a dedicated outdoor TV.

It's been kicking along for 6 years now. The screen has a couple of spots on it where water or something had probably gotten under the screen. Still plays just fine though. At this point, if it crapped out tomorrow, I wouldn't even be mad. New 60" 4K's are crazy cheap - even less than what I paid for mine and it was a 1080p.

I have had a 55” LG that I bought on sale from Best Buy over 2 years ago and it still works great. When it goes I will replace it with the cheapest 65” I can find.

The biggest problem I have is how to get sound out to the spa from the TV. It would be nice if the TV could connect to a Bluetooth speaker.
If it has a headphone jack you can connect that to a bluetooth transmitter.

Look for a TV with HDR (high dynamic range) if you want the brightest picture outdoors.

Ya. But fake hdr meaning changing a regular tv channel to hdr looks like junk. At least in all the panels I have seen and on high quality ones too. If it isn’t hdr native it shouldn’t be in hdr. Better off jacking up the backlight.

I was so thrilled about adding an outdoor TV to the new house, and it had a pre-placed coax jack just for that same idea (previous owner had same brilliant wish). I came across a early Sony plasma outdoor unit (42” for $4000 in 2003) and it lasted on a covered patio of a restaurant until maybe 3 years ago, so I knew the right model would survive even in the severe desert temps. I realized for my purposes that it mainly would be watched from the spa, so Id need a retraction g arm wall mount—but wait! It’s a postage stamp at that distance.
Solution? I love my 2018 13” IPad Pro with a removable Ram Mount to a metal outdoor umbrella pole so it adjusts to the perfect view for all hot tub attendees! Just watched my wife almost throw her drink at it last night when her Yanks blew it. We use it at Hulu Live TV, with a close-by MOCA wired Google Wifi Node to get a loss-less picture and stereo ‘surround’ sound thru 2 Wonderboom Bluetooth speakers. Everything comes with us indoors when done. It’s a awesome outdoor experience and the screen is plenty big when it’s so up close.
Years ago I ran a white sheet across the middle of the pool, pinned on 4 Corners and used a early HD tuner and my early 1080p projector and reverse-projected live sports events so friends and family could watch pool side. I still use that projector for scary movie projections on Halloween night, makes for great kid &parent fun!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.