Our Pool Project

Deck is now poured. Nearing the end!

100_5185.jpg

100_5186.jpg

100_5193.jpg

I'm going to throw one of my pet peeves out there, and I hope you understand that I'm not trying to cause trouble! Why is the skimmer part of the deck, and not part of the pool? The number one cause of skimmer failure here is differential movement between the deck and the pool, and when the skimmer is encapsulated in the deck it fights the pool during normal expansion/contraction cycles. When they shot your pool, the skimmer was shot monolithic with it, and is an integral part of the pool. Capturing it in the deck pour is asking for trouble down the road.

Nice looking project :cheers: You are getting close!

Im outside of Houston.

As to the skimmer...I wish I knew then what I know now! I guess I cross my fingers now.

Deck gets coated on Wed.

Thanks for the feedback and the comments.

I am trying to figure this out (about the skimmer). This it the pic before the gunite. I see how the skimmer basket is part of the pool shell. Wouldn't this tie everything together. After the gunite each skimmer basket had been formed in gunite. Then they poured the deck on top of that. At end of the deck pour they added the skimmer rims (the part the lid sits in). Would you recommend they just score a square in the deck around the skimmer basket. Trying to learn here. Second pic is after gunite.

I do know that the pool shell is tied to the deck with rebar. Doesnt that stop the shifting. I have know idea what I am talking about. Total newbie

100_4994.jpg

IMG00667-20101118-1713.jpg

That skimmer is part of the pool, and was shot as such. Looks like when they shot the deck they added an extension to bring it up to the level of the top of the deck. That should be fine as the extension will float with the deck and not try to take the skimmer with it.

Score cut it if you can. The deck is not part of the pool, and the pool is not part of the deck. The skimmer belongs with the pool, and the way it is currently is asking for a problem down the line. I've seen hundreds of them, and I know what happens!

What Simi is saying is that the skimmer is connected to the pool and as it is encased in the decking concrete instead of the pool concrete there will be some tugging at the piping joint as the deck and pool expand and contract differently.

I wish I had Simi as an advisor for my project as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I guess I cross my fingers now. I am thinking that the the proximity to the house foundation will limit movement (hoping). The warranty is lifetime against leaks. The warranty states "free from leaks and that the pipes, skimmers and main drains encased in concrete will hold water as long as you own your pool". I wonder why they do this if there is repeated problems? Would be a pain in %#@% to fix them.

wish me luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.