Order of Chems After Pool Opening

Sep 6, 2018
Seekonk, MA
I figured there are several people in the same boat on this subject.

So, on a related note, I opened this weekend, and ran the pump for half a day, then tested this morning, after getting the water level right. This is my first season of opening after winterizing after installing last spring. My results were FC-5, pH 7.5, TA 100, CYA 60. Salt was 2300.

The app says to lower the pH to 7.2, and then aerate to increase pH. I also have to add salt. So, I am unsure about what to do first, and what is the best order to go in to get things correct. A little guidance would be great. Also, one of the gaskets on my filter seems to have a pinhole leak. Best to contact the manufacturer for a replacement, or just look at HD/Lowes or plumbing supply? Same with one of my unions at the pump. I don't want to overtighten, and I am curious if anyone uses nylon tape on union threads, or just loosen, check the gasket fit, and re-tighten? I stored the pump, filter and salt cell in the garage over the winter, so they may have dried out a little.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same with one of my unions at the pump. I don't want to overtighten, and I am curious if anyone uses nylon tape on union threads, or just loosen, check the gasket fit, and re-tighten?
Do not put any tape on a union thread. The union thread is to provide mechanical strength, not to seal. Now the seal that is in one of the union halves needs to be checked. Remove it, inspect for any tears, if so, then replace. If it is in good shape, it just may need to be lubed up. Also, clean the face of the opposite half to ensure there is no debris on it when you mate the 2 halves back together. In the future, when you store the equipment, you can remove these seals by lubing them and put in a ziploc bag and lay flat. Do not hang.
Also, one of the gaskets on my filter seems to have a pinhole leak. Best to contact the manufacturer for a replacement, or just look at HD/Lowes or plumbing supply?
Can you submit a picture? If you have pinhole leaks then you may need to replace it. Which gasket are you referring to?
You can always try to lube it up and try again.

Thank you, Herman. Took the filter drain plug off and the gasket has some fraying on it,, so I will get a replacement for that. Understood on the union. Will take them apart and review the mating surfaces. What type of lubricant is acceptable?

Last question has to do with the order of balancing. If I remember from last year, I should lower the pH, then raise TA, then add salt. That sound right?

Thank you, Herman. Took the filter drain plug off and the gasket has some fraying on it,, so I will get a replacement for that. Understood on the union. Will take them apart and review the mating surfaces. What type of lubricant is acceptable?

Last question has to do with the order of balancing. If I remember from last year, I should lower the pH, then raise TA, then add salt. That sound right?
See the link for Lube.
Your TA is at 100 which is not terrible but according to ideal levels you would need to target 60-80 but your pH is in the ideal range of 7.6-7.8. Lowering your pH to 7.2 will lower your TA by about 5ppm. So I would not focus on TA but possibly add salt, and start your SWCG when salt level is within range. You may want to add some LC to keep your FC in range based on FC/CYA Levels
Others may chime in.

I figured there are several people in the same boat on this subject.

So, on a related note, I opened this weekend, and ran the pump for half a day, then tested this morning, after getting the water level right. This is my first season of opening after winterizing after installing last spring. My results were FC-5, pH 7.5, TA 100, CYA 60. Salt was 2300.

The app says to lower the pH to 7.2, and then aerate to increase pH. I also have to add salt. So, I am unsure about what to do first, and what is the best order to go in to get things correct. A little guidance would be great. Also, one of the gaskets on my filter seems to have a pinhole leak. Best to contact the manufacturer for a replacement, or just look at HD/Lowes or plumbing supply? Same with one of my unions at the pump. I don't want to overtighten, and I am curious if anyone uses nylon tape on union threads, or just loosen, check the gasket fit, and re-tighten? I stored the pump, filter and salt cell in the garage over the winter, so they may have dried out a little.
Really dumb question... what app are you using?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.